Club Lexus Forums

Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - Third Generation (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-third-generation-249/)
-   -   Oil viscosity for higher temperatures (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-third-generation/748184-oil-viscosity-for-higher-temperatures.html)

needspeed1 07-02-14 09:18 PM

Oil viscosity for higher temperatures
 
I know they recommend 0W-20 for the 2014 IS350 F-Sport, but I live in South Florida and was thinking of using Royal Purple's HPS 5W-30. There are times I drive the car hard, and I was thinking the Royal Purple might be a good choice. The Owner's Manual (page 503) says "an oil with higher viscosity may be suited for a vehicle that operates at high speeds or under extreme loads." Wondering if anyone has made the switch?http://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/pat.gif

bhvrdr 07-03-14 09:20 AM

I also live in South Florida and I participate in driver education events (lap days). I was planning to use a 0w-30 at my 5K mile self imposed oil change. I would say for 99.9% of folks the factory fill is just fine assuming you are not running from 0-130mph for 4 hours per track day. I was running it that way on the factory fill. I have no idea how the oil held up because I dont feel like doing an oil analysis. It's therefore tough for me to tell if going up in weight would be warranted. Unless anyone else had done a UOA on the factory fill it will be hard to know.

Mike

bucanero 07-03-14 10:09 AM

San Antonio here, nights are in the mid 80's already. I thought about it, but figured since I'm getting it serviced at the dealer anyways, they would probably recommend it if it was really needed. Maybe I'm just ignorant to believe Lexus will work in liaison with its buyers and inform them of such things.

JGard18 07-03-14 01:40 PM

Go with the factory recommended viscosity. Your car's engine oil is always going to be around the same temperature (once the engine is warmed up) no matter what the outside temps are. This is part of having a water-cooled engine. So whether it's 20 degrees outside or 120 degrees outside, your engine oil is going to be around 180-200 degrees all the time. It's made to run with 0W-20, so keep with it.

Note, as mentioned, if you're racing your engine regularly, a heavier oil won't hurt. But do 0W-30. The most important number on the viscosity is the first one, which is protection at "cold" temperatures before the engine is warmed up. Even in hot climates, you are better off with a 0W oil than 5 or 10 in terms of cold oil flow, pressure, and viscosity.

nabbun 07-03-14 02:43 PM

I also recommend sticking to 0w - 20/30 because the engine oil is used for lubing everything. The 0w-xx helps spread faster at start up.

forum429 07-03-14 10:37 PM

With a compression ratio of 11.8:1 I'd rather run a thicker oil.
0-20 is close to the thinnest oil you can get. (Thinnest is 0-15)
Car manufacturers now a days are trying squeeze out a few more mpg for advertising by using thin oil.
Some of them even engineer the car to break down after warranty period so people will buy new cars or go back for repairing.
In certain cases manufacturer's recommendations are more of commercial purpose.
They said certain oil is a life time oil but do you really buy that claim?

4TehNguyen 07-03-14 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabbun (Post 8610711)
I also recommend sticking to 0w - 20/30 because the engine oil is used for lubing everything. The 0w-xx helps spread faster at start up.

if you use synthetic its already doing this, they used 5W-30 for the same engines on 2IS

SlangBlade 07-05-14 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGard18 (Post 8610610)
Go with the factory recommended viscosity. Your car's engine oil is always going to be around the same temperature (once the engine is warmed up) no matter what the outside temps are. This is part of having a water-cooled engine. So whether it's 20 degrees outside or 120 degrees outside, your engine oil is going to be around 180-200 degrees all the time. It's made to run with 0W-20, so keep with it.

Note, as mentioned, if you're racing your engine regularly, a heavier oil won't hurt. But do 0W-30. The most important number on the viscosity is the first one, which is protection at "cold" temperatures before the engine is warmed up. Even in hot climates, you are better off with a 0W oil than 5 or 10 in terms of cold oil flow, pressure, and viscosity.

This. :thumbup:

There's no reason not to use 0w-20. If you're intent on using a high end synthetic, I know Amsoil makes one.

Everything you need to know about oil: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

dasbuch 07-05-14 04:25 PM

Are they putting 0w-20 synthetic in these cars at the factory now days?

hades281 07-06-14 09:16 AM

Used oil analyses will put worries about 0w-20 to rest. I think there are already a lot of UOAs out there for this oil in Toyota engines. The "TGMO" (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0w-20 seems to hold up very well and the engines seem well protected by examining the wear particle count. There is no evidence that I've seen, that the 0w-20 isn't doing an excellent job.

JGard18 07-07-14 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasbuch (Post 8612613)
Are they putting 0w-20 synthetic in these cars at the factory now days?

Yep. My Lexus and my wife's new Outback both are 0W-20 from the factory.

JGard18 07-07-14 01:18 PM

If you have time, give this a read: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles

It will probably make you comfortable with using 0W-20 always and forever, unless you're one of those types of people who just cannot and will not change their mind about something or unless you track your car regularly.

forum429 07-08-14 10:07 PM

Any one got an oil analysis report of the oil under operating temperature?
Since it's a question of oil viscosity temperature is a big factor.
here is a chat I found.
http://www.carbibles.com/images/saerates.jpg


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved