IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering an IS 350 f sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 07:59 AM
Tbonez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an IS 350 f sport

I'm currently in the market and I am considering an is 350. I really want something that will make me smile and keep me interested. The reviews of this car are fantastic and I love the looks. I'm very skeptical that the performance will keep me smiling, however.

This car has been out a little while now and I've heard owners on this forum and in my daily discussions that it's heavy, slow and there is no power until the mid-range. I haven't driven the car yet because the closest Lexus dealership is about an hour away and I don't want to waste the sales guys time (I won't be buying for six months). Do you guys feel this car has enough power to keep it interesting? Please note that this is a serious post and my intent isn't to inflame but rather seek honest opinions.

Other cars considered-

235i m sport
2015 Mustang
ATS V when it comes out (if it's around 50k)
GNX when it comes out (if it's around 50k)
Audi S3
Old 05-17-14, 08:19 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you make a good point when you compare it to all of the other cars you are considering. You'll be missing low end torque compared to each of them. That being said there is a decent amount of power up top and didnt feel completely under powered at lap days. The chassis and brakes are incredible and I had no problem keeping up with what appeared to be a stock 335i on the track.

I think you have to make a pros and cons list and see what is really important about the car you want. The Lexus has excellent refinement, ok power, untouchable reliability, and decent luxury.

235i m sport - more power, that german refinement difficult to describe, brand prestige
2015 mustang - assuming gt it will be gobs more powerful than anything in that price range, exhaust note to die for, crappy refinement, crappy interior, crappy resale, crappy brand image/prestige
ATS V - to early to tell
GNX - to early to tell
Audi S3 - more torque, that german refinement, nice interior, brand prestige, crappy exhaust note, crappy reliability

I can see purchasing any of these vehicles given a certain set of priorities a person might have.

Mike
Old 05-17-14, 08:36 AM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has enough power for Daily Driving IMO. It offers a great balance between performance and comfort. The thing I love the most about it is the handling, for a Sedan its outstanding. I think after a test drive you will have a better picture.
Old 05-17-14, 08:53 AM
Bst88
Rookie

You cannot compare between a sedan car like lexus is and a coupe mustang or 235 m sport .
I think you should be comparing between lexus is 350 and bmw 335 or s4
Old 05-17-14, 09:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

since youre far from a dealer and havent seen the car yet, check out this vid. Huge amount of detail and may answer some questions you have. IS350 is plenty of power for everyday driving. Ive already tracked mine and can hold my own pretty well. Since youre buying in 6 months, wait for the 2015 model. There will be some updates and potential updates to option packaging (considering what we saw on the RC350). It seems you are considering some coupes as well. Have you looked at the information on the RC350 also?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-17-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 10:23 AM
nayuta
Driver

I love the handling of the Lexus IS350 F-Sport and I love the power because it's adequate. But it's only adequate. And to be honest it's still on the slow side now because the competitors have beefed up while Lexus has decided to keep the tried-and-true 2GR-FSE engine.

If I was looking for a fun daily driver between those you listed, I would take the M235i almost hands down. Smaller package, light (compared to the IS), and tons of power combined with the class leading ZF 8 speed transmission.

If all other considerations are the same and power is the only difference you're looking for the M235i is probably your best bet.

What do you drive now? (For comparison)
Old 05-17-14, 10:30 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Get the RC!!
Old 05-17-14, 02:47 PM
Tbonez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nayuta
I love the handling of the Lexus IS350 F-Sport and I love the power because it's adequate. But it's only adequate. And to be honest it's still on the slow side now because the competitors have beefed up while Lexus has decided to keep the tried-and-true 2GR-FSE engine.

If I was looking for a fun daily driver between those you listed, I would take the M235i almost hands down. Smaller package, light (compared to the IS), and tons of power combined with the class leading ZF 8 speed transmission.

If all other considerations are the same and power is the only difference you're looking for the M235i is probably your best bet.

What do you drive now? (For comparison)

I currently drive an 2008 Civic SI 4 door. People make fun of the civic SI because people rice them out. It's been a GREAT car. The handling is great, the MPGs are great, the styling is decent, the reliability is awesome but the acceleration is really lagging these days (0-60 in 6.7). I realize its easy to become bored with the amount of acceleration your car has but at this point I don't have the power to overtake a Rav4 V6. I really need a four door for business but at this point I'm willing to sacrifice a couple of doors for a couple of grins...
Old 05-17-14, 04:39 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

I have to say... BMW's new lineup is outstanding..
Old 05-17-14, 11:40 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aTeAse
I have to say... BMW's new lineup is outstanding..
Until you turn the steering wheel....The F30 Bimmers have the world's worst steering--completely numb. If you want a new BMW with a hydraulic rack, I believe your only choice is an AWD X1 with the inline 6. BMW's used to have sublime steering. What happened?

Op, if it's speed you want, look elsewhere. An '09 WRX will smoke an IS 350, as will every car on your list. The Lexus has its virtues, but speed isn't among them. And, there's not much (if anything) you can buy in the Toyota/Lexus aftermarket, that will make your IS faster. More go-fast options with VW/Audi, BMW, and Mustang aftermarkets.
Old 05-18-14, 01:14 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tbonez
I currently drive an 2008 Civic SI 4 door. People make fun of the civic SI because people rice them out. It's been a GREAT car. The handling is great, the MPGs are great, the styling is decent, the reliability is awesome but the acceleration is really lagging these days (0-60 in 6.7). I realize its easy to become bored with the amount of acceleration your car has but at this point I don't have the power to overtake a Rav4 V6. I really need a four door for business but at this point I'm willing to sacrifice a couple of doors for a couple of grins...
My '13 Mustang GT is certainly no Lexus, but if you want cheap thrills with 2 doors, the car is a blast to drive--in fact, it's my daily driver. It's fast, comfortable, handles well, and is at least $10,000 to $15,000 cheaper than the other cars on your list. Obviously, not a practical choice (for many reasons), but neither is a 235i M Sport.

Before I get flamed, I freely acknowledge there are much better cars on your list, but my Mustang has been trouble free, and I don't have to pay BMW or Audi shop prices for service.

If it's refinement, overall balance, build-quality and 4-doors you're after, the Lexus is a good choice. It'll be faster than your Civic SI, but if you really want speed, there are better options. Even at age 64, when refinement should mean more to me than power, punching the throttle on the Coyote V8 always makes me smile--and I never tire of it.
Old 05-18-14, 02:46 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we can all agree the Lexus is not the fastest in this group. I've said this more than a few times but if the 3IS was 330hp and had 300-330lbs torque I think it would destroy this market segment because though its not the fastest it does a LOT of things right. I was heavily cross shopping the S4 and 335i when I bought the 3IS so I know the power difference ...especially here at 1mile above sea level.

Sadly it being technically the weakest car means it will always be a sticking point. That won't change. Though you have to ask yourself what will drive you more nuts. The Lexus not having that extra 0.5-1s extra speed in 0-60? The Audi and BMW not having the reliability ...and rather poor handling? The Mustang not having the refinement of the others? The ATS not having the reliability or as nice of a interior as the competition? I wish Audi had the reliablity of Lexus and the handling of the 3IS because I would have snatched the S4 without a second thought, but sadly Audi and BMW are big time gambles for buyers.

I technically can't speak for the M235i as I only test drove the 328i and multiple 335i, but my opinion matches UncleSpud's. This article on the M235i though doesn't fill me with confidence on it. Rather lame the car pumps fake engine noise through the speakers. The 2 series is definitely a nice looking car though. I can see the attraction to it. The power plant is EXACTLY what I was in the market for when I bought my car. I can also see the attraction to the Mustang for exactly the same reason but even more so because I far prefer the sound and feel of a V8 over a turbo-6.

In all fairness to the Lexus engine I have yet to lose on the freeway, even once ...I mean nothing kept up with me. (including the times they stomped the gas first) Granted I never raced anything outside my means (Porches, Ferrari, etc.) but I have raced plenty Mustangs, Infiniti and BMWs. The BMWs did the best. The one I thought would smoke me (and he easily should have but he gave up too quick) was the 427r. Put some curves in the road though (especially sharp ones) and I always lose them early. So its not all doom and gloom for the Lexus engine, its a bit of a sleeper.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just like talking cars. I think all of the cars you are looking at are great cars, not one would I tell you to stay away from. All of them will be a big step up too.
Old 05-18-14, 08:27 PM
CTLG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Slust
I think we can all agree the Lexus is not the fastest in this group. I've said this more than a few times but if the 3IS was 330hp and had 300-330lbs torque I think it would destroy this market segment because though its not the fastest it does a LOT of things right. I was heavily cross shopping the S4 and 335i when I bought the 3IS so I know the power difference ...especially here at 1mile above sea level.

Sadly it being technically the weakest car means it will always be a sticking point. That won't change. Though you have to ask yourself what will drive you more nuts. The Lexus not having that extra 0.5-1s extra speed in 0-60? The Audi and BMW not having the reliability ...and rather poor handling? The Mustang not having the refinement of the others? The ATS not having the reliability or as nice of a interior as the competition? I wish Audi had the reliablity of Lexus and the handling of the 3IS because I would have snatched the S4 without a second thought, but sadly Audi and BMW are big time gambles for buyers.

I technically can't speak for the M235i as I only test drove the 328i and multiple 335i, but my opinion matches UncleSpud's. This article on the M235i though doesn't fill me with confidence on it. Rather lame the car pumps fake engine noise through the speakers. The 2 series is definitely a nice looking car though. I can see the attraction to it. The power plant is EXACTLY what I was in the market for when I bought my car. I can also see the attraction to the Mustang for exactly the same reason but even more so because I far prefer the sound and feel of a V8 over a turbo-6.

In all fairness to the Lexus engine I have yet to lose on the freeway, even once ...I mean nothing kept up with me. (including the times they stomped the gas first) Granted I never raced anything outside my means (Porches, Ferrari, etc.) but I have raced plenty Mustangs, Infiniti and BMWs. The BMWs did the best. The one I thought would smoke me (and he easily should have but he gave up too quick) was the 427r. Put some curves in the road though (especially sharp ones) and I always lose them early. So its not all doom and gloom for the Lexus engine, its a bit of a sleeper.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just like talking cars. I think all of the cars you are looking at are great cars, not one would I tell you to stay away from. All of them will be a big step up too.
Now that my stock 3IS 350F has 3,000 miles, I can honestly say this car's engine will surprise you. My 620awhp Evo is my measuring stick, so when I say this, I mean it.

I'd put the actual crank horsepower at about 330hp after a proper break-in and with a few thousand miles. From all of the stock Dyno numbers/charts I've seen, there is no way the power train loss is this low. 270-289rwhp totally stock puts about 330hp at the crank using a more realistic power-train loss percentage. I believe Lexus is being very conservative with their HP numbers on the current 3.5L. This makes sense as this engine should be close to a 1:1 litre/horsepower motor.

As for handling, I can tell you that you'd be very hard pressed to find a better handling car anywhere near this class. The chassis of the 350 F-Sport RWD in Sport + mode is phenomenal.

Even being an ex-Dyno tuner, I still bought the Lexus IS350 F-Sport, even over the S4 and M335i, despite those cars having a much stronger tuning aftermarket. They just didn't speak to me like the Lexus did. The Lexus has a strong soul, especially when well broken-in.
Old 05-18-14, 09:27 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbonez
I'm currently in the market and I am considering an is 350. I really want something that will make me smile and keep me interested. The reviews of this car are fantastic and I love the looks. I'm very skeptical that the performance will keep me smiling, however.

This car has been out a little while now and I've heard owners on this forum and in my daily discussions that it's heavy, slow and there is no power until the mid-range. I haven't driven the car yet because the closest Lexus dealership is about an hour away and I don't want to waste the sales guys time (I won't be buying for six months). Do you guys feel this car has enough power to keep it interesting? Please note that this is a serious post and my intent isn't to inflame but rather seek honest opinions.

Other cars considered-

235i m sport
2015 Mustang
ATS V when it comes out (if it's around 50k)
GNX when it comes out (if it's around 50k)
Audi S3
you are comparing cars from different segments (from sedans, to coupes to hatch)........ but..

if you main concern is speed. get the 235i, S3 or the CLA 45 AMG

handling wise, ATS V and IS are closely matched.

GNX is really ugly.....

if every traffic lights you see, its a drag race, get the 235i, S3 or the CLA 45 AMG (a coupe, a hatch, and another coupe-ish)

if ultimate reliability, canyon-roads and refinement, get the IS. plus, its very practical. sits 4 and has a large trunk.

but, again, if speed is what you want. Lexus isnt the answer.