IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will aftermarket intake solve this whining metallic sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 10:39 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will aftermarket intake solve this whining metallic sound?

Ok here comes again me complaining about my lovely newly purchased vehicle. This time is about this annoying sound coming from the stock intake (or whatever that is). It is high pitched whining metallic sound that is generated between 2K-4K RPM but after 4K the sound becomes a lot more acceptable with some base tone to it. Anyway, after I had F-Sport exhaust installed (which I think sounds nice), this metallic sound coming from the intake just does not reconcile with the exhaust note. So the question that I have - will Greddy/Takeda or other good aftermarket intakes eliminate this high pitched sound and add more base and growl that would be consistent with the exhaust note? Please advise.
Old 02-13-14, 02:11 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Greddy and Takeda don't fully eliminate the annoying whine (trust me I hate it too), but they help a lot with the low end tone overall. Everytime you step on the gas, even just cruising, the car sounds mean, like a v8. The problem with those is that you do get the rattly noise around 6-7k, and anyone telling you otherwise is either deaf, or just doesn't care. Your best bet is either to try the Joe z pipe, or get a greddy intake and see if you like it.
Old 02-13-14, 10:12 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Greddy and Takeda don't fully eliminate the annoying whine (trust me I hate it too), but they help a lot with the low end tone overall. Everytime you step on the gas, even just cruising, the car sounds mean, like a v8. The problem with those is that you do get the rattly noise around 6-7k, and anyone telling you otherwise is either deaf, or just doesn't care. Your best bet is either to try the Joe z pipe, or get a greddy intake and see if you like it.
Hey thank you man! I find your answers very honest without any sales pitch. Appreciate it a lot.

Does anybody know how to get rid of this metallic whine? Is it coming from intake? Engine? Where is it coming from?
Old 03-06-14, 11:14 PM
Rkdiddy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for posting this question. I was actually coming to this forum to find out if the whine noise is normal or if I should get it looked at.

Funny enough, I had an S4 and currently have a Q5 with supercharged 3.0 and they don't whine like this car.

Maybe I'm being picky, but it's pretty annoying.
Old 03-07-14, 01:14 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope, not being picky, the whine is very annoying at times. A short ram intake kind of helps it though.
Old 03-07-14, 01:27 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 4GS and i know exactly what your talking about. Our cars have the same engines/intakes. I really hate that noise, sounds like a hybrid.
Old 03-07-14, 04:55 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drop in a K and N drop in that could help

or get Takeda or Greddy they are basically the same intake