IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Jumpy wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 06:05 AM
felixlau
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumpy wipers

My car is 2 months old and the jumpy wiper is very irritating ...
Will changing the new wipers with brand new solve the problems ?
Any tips or tricks to resolve this small but frustrating problem ?
Thanks in advance ...
Old 12-08-13, 07:37 AM
afdavey
Driver

Try cleaning the rubber blade with some rubbing alcohol. And if the car is that new - go back to Lexus... Also make sure your windshield (outside) is clean and not causing the wipers to 'drag'...
Old 12-08-13, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Its most likely the windshield itself. Clay and polish the windshield, that will help.
Old 12-08-13, 09:17 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem and my car is also 2 months old today!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-sound.html

Cleaning the glass is one thing, but cleaning the wipers with rubbing alcohol will significantly reduce their life.

Surprised it's happening to both of our cars. It's a brand new car and the glass shouldn't need attention this early, but who knows...?

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by dbs600; 12-08-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-08-13, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue is precisely because it is a brand new car. Stuff is stuck to the glass, written on the glass. The glass is subjected to contaminants on ships, trains, trucks. I have never had a new car I have not had to really deep clean the windshield to get proper wiper action from.
Old 12-08-13, 01:44 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The issue is precisely because it is a brand new car. Stuff is stuck to the glass, written on the glass. The glass is subjected to contaminants on ships, trains, trucks. I have never had a new car I have not had to really deep clean the windshield to get proper wiper action from.
Hmm; never had this issue before, see what you're saying and my car was fully prepped by the dealer. Nevertheless, will give it a good cleaning to see if it resolves the issue!
Old 12-08-13, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Dealer prep doesn't solve issues like this...all they do is wash it and put a quick layer of wax on it.
Old 12-08-13, 03:16 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Dealer prep doesn't solve issues like this...all they do is wash it and put a quick layer of wax on it.
Duly noted; Thanks!
Old 12-08-13, 03:50 PM
felixlau
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for your useful inputs.
dbs600- mine is the driver side's wiper too.
I can understand how u feel as we are trying to enjoy and make our cars perfect and this wiper problem is really irritating.
I've wax the windscreen, clean with glass cleaner, newspaper and it is still the same.
Will give it another good wax n polish and target the wiper too and let u know how it goes.
Old 12-08-13, 04:08 PM
F350
Pole Position

Happened to me first month i had the car, the jumpy wipers eventually went away and the only thing i did was wash the car and spray the windshield occasionally with Mothers Glass Cleaner
Old 12-08-13, 04:11 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by felixlau
Thanks everyone for your useful inputs.
dbs600- mine is the driver side's wiper too.
I can understand how u feel as we are trying to enjoy and make our cars perfect and this wiper problem is really irritating.
I've wax the windscreen, clean with glass cleaner, newspaper and it is still the same.
Will give it another good wax n polish and target the wiper too and let u know how it goes.
So you've already cleaned the glass and it hasn't gone away!? Argh.

What's strange is that I don't see any streaks, just sounds as though it's shuddering / skipping.

If we can't sort this out, guess a trip to the dealer is in store, which I hate. :|
Old 12-08-13, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Waxing the windshield isn't going to help. You need to clay and polish the windshield with a glass polish.

The dealer won't do anything but make it worse.
Old 12-09-13, 12:21 AM
felixlau
Pole Position

Went down to Lexus service centre today.
They tested and said it is fine (which is not).
Anyway, since I took the trouble to visit them, they replaced the rubber on the wiper.
There was a little drizzle on the way back and so far it seems fine. I only swipe the wiper a few times.
(It's funny that i am "afraid" to turn on the wipers because I don't want it to judder)
The senior service technician advised me to keep any wax or rain repellent from the windscreen.
Clean both the wipers and windscreen with water and occasionally wipe the windscreen with newspaper when it is wet.
From my own experience, those with judder can either wait for it to disappear or replace the rubber and keep the windscreen free of any wax, polish or rain repellent.
Old 12-09-13, 05:34 AM
felixlau
Pole Position

Went home a did a artificial rain test on the new wipers with a water hose.
So far ok ! No more judders.
Hopefully it will stay this way.
dbs600: Guess u gotta visit Lexus and get them to change the wiper rubber for u and remember to clean the windscreen thoroughly before using the new wiper. Best of luck to u for a judder- free ride
Old 12-09-13, 02:50 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

reading these reminded me of a funny story. Couple years ago, my younger brother complained to me about the new wipers he bought and installed. Said he couldn't even see once he used them so he was hesitant to even turn them on, especially on the highway.

I thought he was exaggerating but he gave me a ride and sprayed some fluid to show me. It was terrible. You literally had to duck down to see out the parts of the windshield not passed over by the wiper blades which would be really dangerous at highway speeds.

So I said I'll clean your windshield for you. Got all my supplies and go out to his car. As I'm raising the wipers to get better access to the windshield, I say "What's this?" It's the plastic covers that slide over the wiper inserts. He still had them on!

So took them off and cleaned his windshield for him but to this day have never let him live it down...

Quick Reply: Jumpy wipers