IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Misguided by my Dealer....What should I bargain for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 12:07 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Misguided by my Dealer....What should I bargain for?

Hey guys,

So throughout my experience of purchasing my 350 f-sport I have been misguided multiple times in regards to the arrival date of the car. I placed the order and put a down payment on the car on October 10th. From that date it has been an up and down roller coaster of suspense on when my car will actually be in my driveway. My grandpa (who has a great relationship with Lexus and has purchased numerous vehicles from our dearer) called the VP of Lexus today complaining about the lack of clarity over the purchasing experience/arrival of the car. The VP said "we will make it up to you". So the question of "What should I bargain for?" comes into play.

-Placed order and put downpayment on car - October 10th

-Was told (on Oct 10th) they ordered a car of that exact type / would be there in two weeks - Oct 24th (was told end of October)

-End of October came and I followed up with them....was told they would have the car by November 17th

-November 17th came and they said they gave me the wrong info....the car was going to be coming INTO PORT on the 17th NOT at the dealer. They told me expect by December 1st

-I was out of town for Thanksgiving and received a call from my sales guy on Tuesday (November 26th) and was told the car would be in on Friday (November 29th)

-Got home last night (December 1st). Thought I would be getting the car today(was extremely excited), but received a call this morning because the car never showed up Friday. I was finally told that they will be getting the car tomorrow morning (December 3rd)

I apologize for the long rant. I love Lexus but the way I was treated with all the different dates and arrivals was very annoying. It felt like it was there first time ever ordered a car?? Hopefully tomorrow morning will be the end of it and I can then enjoy my new car.

What do you guys think I should bargain for? I live in Chicago so I was thinking of the following:
---Lower Price on Snow Tire Package (Possibly free but thats asking a lot I think)
---Free PPF/Clear bra package
---Lower overall price of the car

Let me know what you guys think. I just listed 3 things because I cant think of other stuff but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-02-13, 12:10 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

I should say that not many things annoy me as I am a pretty calm person. Also, I hate heckling people or bargaining so I typically would brush this off and get the car and move on, but I think I deserve something in return for how eveything went down.
Old 12-02-13, 12:22 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

$10K off. and i'm not kidding.. they can do it..
Old 12-02-13, 01:01 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you didn't order it with the car, maybe ask to include the accessories package for free.
Old 12-02-13, 01:04 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your responses will be all over the place on this one. But I am going to take the less popular stance and say you may get nothing. Unless the dealership screwed up and never placed the order, things happen. I was told the day I ordered my car, it would be a 30 to 60 day process. No, I did not get real dates, but here I am 120 days later and still waiting. The car did arrive at the port yesterday. So I am expecting it to arrive soon. But I don't expect anything other than a sorry it took so long apology from the sales team. Although I certainly will bring up how long it took and how poorly they communicated what was really going on during that time period.

If you are going to bargain for something, start out large and let them bring you down. Some significant dollars off is always nice. Or as another poster mentioned, you can try for something you did not get option wise (remote start on something that comes to mind). Good luck!

Last edited by moose66; 12-02-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 01:08 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by moose66
Your responses will be all over the place on this one. But I am going to take the less popular stance and say you should get nothing. Unless the dealership screwed up and never placed the order, things happen. I was told the day I ordered my car, it would be a 30 to 60 day process. No, I did not get real dates, but here I am 120 days later and still waiting. The car did arrive at the port yesterday. So I am expecting it to arrive soon. But I don't expect anything other than a sorry it took so long apology from the sales team. Although I certainly will bring up how long it took and how poorly they communicated what was really going on during that time period.
I agree with you.
Old 12-02-13, 01:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Bottom line is, the dealer doesn't really know the dates for special orders. If it did in fact have to be "special ordered" it would be a MINIMUM of 3 months from order date (4 months max). Sounds to me like they found one in allocation. Just take the car and enjoy it, or cancel and move on.
Old 12-02-13, 01:15 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Ya we will see what happens. I just want the dang car haha. In the end I don't care whether they take money off or offer me something, I just wish they would have tracked the car better. I understand that its difficult, but to say one thing and then change it over and over again gets frustrating. When i get the car tomorrow (hopefully) I will let everyone know what happened.
Old 12-02-13, 01:21 PM
Timmah
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Timbo IS said is correct. Personally it is still a hot car and they don't need to do anything and possible won't. WIth your Grandpa's relationship to this particular store they may do something. As Lexus dealership arent owned by Lexus but through individuals or companies.

You can look to maybe at best get tint or something cheap to be realistic.

10K off. yeah I would love to see that.
Old 12-02-13, 01:26 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you. The wait is hard enough. Top that with misinformation and it gets very frustrating. Not too sure if there is anything they could do better. Maybe explain the process in better detail. But I get the impression that not many know that process. Hell, it is hard enough for someone to be able to tell me things I want to know about the car. Thankfully we have clublexus. I get all the information I need right here.
Old 12-02-13, 02:05 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

10k xD, sounds like my mom when shes to talk price for a new car lol
Old 12-02-13, 06:56 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

I had the same hassle. I waited all year for a 2014 because I didn't want the karma associated with a "13." I had a 2007 RX, which I loved. It had the Mark Levinson, Nav, rear seat entertainment...all the bells and whistles.

When the 2014s started to arrive, I got a call and went in to see them. They had the color I wanted (Nebula Gray, but it had the tan interior (looked awful). It also didn't have the Levinson or other Luxury Package options. They told me they would have to "special order" the car I wanted. I gave them $2500 down and signed the contract. Almost 3 weeks later, I got a call from the Sales Mgr, saying my car was at the port, in Jacksonville and would be delivered to me on Monday. I did a quick walk-around, signed the title to my 2007 and wrote them a check for the balance. The next day, I did a closer inspection and found that the car had the "Premium Package, not the Luxury Package. It had Nav, but no Levinson Sound. The leather is more like Naugahyde than the soft supple leather in my 2007. The one thing I really miss is the road following HID headlights. Mine has load leveling HIDs but they don't follow the curve of the road like my 2007. I believe the Dealership (aka Stealership) just searched the computers for any car that was "close" to my specs and had it delivered to me. The Sales Manager told me that they don't make many RX with the Levinson and Lux Package...my response was, "I thought you "special ordered" the car I wanted. When I looked at the contract, I had indeed, signed to get one with the Premium Package & Nav and that was what I paid for. I thought the price was a good deal for the car I wanted. In other words, my inattention to detail caused me to get screwed. I sure got no sympathy from the Sales Mgr. As much as I like Lexus, this transaction left a bad taste in my mouth. I will be trading the RX for a BMW X-5 and part company with my Lexus Stealership.
Old 12-02-13, 07:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Bottom line is, the dealer doesn't really know the dates for special orders. If it did in fact have to be "special ordered" it would be a MINIMUM of 3 months from order date (4 months max). Sounds to me like they found one in allocation. Just take the car and enjoy it, or cancel and move on.
True to some degree. Where the dealer failed is in setting wrong expectations. There should never have been specific dates mentioned, maybe once can be forgiven, but three times?

Randre19: I had a similar situation. My dealer promised window tints installed on delivery. Guess what, I showed up, tints were not installed, they apologized profusely and offered the tints for free. I didn't even have to ask. Next day got them installed and my monthly payment dropped by 15$.

If the dealer manager said he'll make it up to you, walk in with the request to get something free that is a negligible hit to them but would mend the relationship. The clear bra you mentioned would be fair to me.

Good luck
Old 12-02-13, 07:16 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Who_Me
I had the same hassle. I waited all year for a 2014 because I didn't want the karma associated with a "13." I had a 2007 RX, which I loved. It had the Mark Levinson, Nav, rear seat entertainment...all the bells and whistles.

When the 2014s started to arrive, I got a call and went in to see them. They had the color I wanted (Nebula Gray, but it had the tan interior (looked awful). It also didn't have the Levinson or other Luxury Package options. They told me they would have to "special order" the car I wanted. I gave them $2500 down and signed the contract. Almost 3 weeks later, I got a call from the Sales Mgr, saying my car was at the port, in Jacksonville and would be delivered to me on Monday. I did a quick walk-around, signed the title to my 2007 and wrote them a check for the balance. The next day, I did a closer inspection and found that the car had the "Premium Package, not the Luxury Package. It had Nav, but no Levinson Sound. The leather is more like Naugahyde than the soft supple leather in my 2007. The one thing I really miss is the road following HID headlights. Mine has load leveling HIDs but they don't follow the curve of the road like my 2007. I believe the Dealership (aka Stealership) just searched the computers for any car that was "close" to my specs and had it delivered to me. The Sales Manager told me that they don't make many RX with the Levinson and Lux Package...my response was, "I thought you "special ordered" the car I wanted. When I looked at the contract, I had indeed, signed to get one with the Premium Package & Nav and that was what I paid for. I thought the price was a good deal for the car I wanted. In other words, my inattention to detail caused me to get screwed. I sure got no sympathy from the Sales Mgr. As much as I like Lexus, this transaction left a bad taste in my mouth. I will be trading the RX for a BMW X-5 and part company with my Lexus Stealership.
Ya that sounds terrible. Now I hope my car includes everything im paying for.
Old 12-02-13, 07:30 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moose66
Your responses will be all over the place on this one. But I am going to take the less popular stance and say you may get nothing. Unless the dealership screwed up and never placed the order, things happen. I was told the day I ordered my car, it would be a 30 to 60 day process. No, I did not get real dates, but here I am 120 days later and still waiting. The car did arrive at the port yesterday. So I am expecting it to arrive soon. But I don't expect anything other than a sorry it took so long apology from the sales team. Although I certainly will bring up how long it took and how poorly they communicated what was really going on during that time period.

If you are going to bargain for something, start out large and let them bring you down. Some significant dollars off is always nice. Or as another poster mentioned, you can try for something you did not get option wise (remote start on something that comes to mind). Good luck!
Agree with Moose66. You should get nothing, just ask them to give the additional discounts to SonyHome and Moose66 instead!

They told me it would be 3 month process and currently they are right on target but I wouldn't be too surprised if it goes until 4 weeks but much longer I'm sure I'll be getting more anxious about it. Since this is not something dealer really has control over it's really a best guess.

Lexus should get one of those 3D printers where you could just spec it out and print the car out on the spot!

Quick Reply: Misguided by my Dealer....What should I bargain for?