IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking at the IS350 AWD - from Canada!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 09:10 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at the IS350 AWD - from Canada!

Hello all,

I have been lurking the forums since a couple weeks ago - really interested in looking at the IS350 AWD as my next vehicle. I do have a couple questions, hopefully someone can help!

I am looking at the 350 AWD F-Sport Premium package:
- for storing mp3s on a USB key, does the multimedia system display anything that's not english? (i.e. Traditional/simplified chinese, japanese, etc?)
- for nav, does it show traffic? How do you like it so far? And does it only show traffic on major highways?

That's it for now! I actually went through all pages of the IS 3rd gen forum and have learned a lot so far.
Old 12-01-13, 09:20 AM
ISFSPRT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, assuming you are from Toronto as well? I have the 3IS 350 AWD as well, the multimedia system doesnt show chinese, and there is no traffic shown on the Nav as well.
Old 12-01-13, 11:24 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Thanks ISFSPRT - that's disappointing (and also not what my sales person told me!)

Which color is your car btw? I am torn between white with red interior and USB color..
Old 12-01-13, 12:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFSPRT
hey, assuming you are from Toronto as well? I have the 3IS 350 AWD as well, the multimedia system doesnt show chinese, and there is no traffic shown on the Nav as well.
Is that different on the Canadian models? My nav shows traffic.
Old 12-01-13, 07:27 PM
puma111
Driver School Candidate

I am from Toronto as well. As far as i know, we have no HDRadio stations to get traffic information from. And I can confirm all North America models don't support Chinese languages. It does playback the songs; you just won't see the name of songs.

I got white/red.
Old 12-02-13, 06:52 AM
cal0104
Driver School Candidate

i can confirm that. Mine does not show traffic or display chinese characters either.
Old 12-02-13, 07:33 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

My nav system in my 3IS 350 does have a LTM (live traffic monitoring), on both freeways and major city streets, in the form of colored (green, yellow, orange, red) lines traveling with the road for each direction. However it's not always accurate as many times i will be on the freeway and it will be jam packed and barely moving, yet the traffic indicator is green. Also happens in vice versa, will se orange or red on traffic monitor but traffic is light and moving normally.

I don't know if this is normal with LTM on GPS systems, but I had a Garmin couple years back that was much better with it's LTM, almost always accurate and would change instantly when traffic came to a halt.

As far as the music question, no idea.
Old 12-09-13, 10:33 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Hi all,

Quick update: Went into the dealership on the weekend to put a deposit down on the IS350 AWD with F-Sport Premium package.. Probably getting it early next year! (which works out as I am out of the country).

Hope to participate more often in this community - would love to attend some local Toronto Lexus meets as well!
Old 12-09-13, 12:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by nonopeno
Hi all,

Quick update: Went into the dealership on the weekend to put a deposit down on the IS350 AWD with F-Sport Premium package.. Probably getting it early next year! (which works out as I am out of the country).

Hope to participate more often in this community - would love to attend some local Toronto Lexus meets as well!
Congrats! Be sure to post pics when you get it.

And oh, btw, the AWD grips phenomenally well. I took it out today on the first significant snow fall and traction is fantastic (surprisingly) with the Turanza All-seasons and 255/35 rears. In fact, the IS has better traction than the RX I also tested today with the Michelin Latitude All-seasons and narrower 235/55/19s. Go figure!
Old 12-09-13, 12:50 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats! Be sure to post pics when you get it.

And oh, btw, the AWD grips phenomenally well. I took it out today on the first significant snow fall and traction is fantastic (surprisingly) with the Turanza All-seasons and 255/35 rears. In fact, the IS has better traction than the RX I also tested today with the Michelin Latitude All-seasons and narrower 235/55/19s. Go figure!
Good to know that. Never thought those Turanza's are any good given all the negative reviews I have seen.
Old 12-09-13, 02:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by KumaF
Good to know that. Never thought those Turanza's are any good given all the negative reviews I have seen.
I know. TireRack reviews trash these tires so I was skeptical. Now, lets's keep in mind the snow fall was less than 1 inch on the ground and was fairly packed as the temp was hovering around freezing point. My point was that the IS actually accelerated better with less traction control kicking in than the RX!

However, the Turanzas will probably not do so well in deeper fluffier snow or on ice. And at their 260 treadwear rating, they'll need to be replaced at about 25-30k km. This means realistically, I will not be using these tires for next year's winter as they'll be at least 50% worn out and I will be looking at a different tire.
Old 12-09-13, 02:17 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Thanks Corrado - your build thread really tempted me in ordering the USB color.. I was deciding between USB and UW up until I got to the dealership. (then the wife said the red seats are better, so UW it is)

Nice - I don't drive my car often, but good to know I made the right choice with AWD!
Old 12-09-13, 03:25 PM
KumaF
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I know. TireRack reviews trash these tires so I was skeptical. Now, lets's keep in mind the snow fall was less than 1 inch on the ground and was fairly packed as the temp was hovering around freezing point. My point was that the IS actually accelerated better with less traction control kicking in than the RX!

However, the Turanzas will probably not do so well in deeper fluffier snow or on ice. And at their 260 treadwear rating, they'll need to be replaced at about 25-30k km. This means realistically, I will not be using these tires for next year's winter as they'll be at least 50% worn out and I will be looking at a different tire.
Very true. I will probably switch to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 when I'm done with the OE ones. Conti DWS is supposedly good for winter but kinda worried about its soft sidewall (potholes...potholes)
Old 12-09-13, 07:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by nonopeno
Thanks Corrado - your build thread really tempted me in ordering the USB color.. I was deciding between USB and UW up until I got to the dealership. (then the wife said the red seats are better, so UW it is)

Nice - I don't drive my car often, but good to know I made the right choice with AWD!
The Rioja Red interior is superb. It's what I wanted between Obsidian and U White then my kids convinced me to get the USB.
Old 01-13-14, 02:17 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Update: The car arrived last Friday and I am going in this Saturday to pick it up!

First place I am driving to? to my detailer to get the car opticoated

Are there things you guys check for (like a checklist for the IS350) that I should bring with me when I take delivery of the car?

Quick Reply: Looking at the IS350 AWD - from Canada!