IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

[Canada] New to Lexus, are the option packages the only way to add features?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 10:32 AM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question [Canada] New to Lexus, are the option packages the only way to add features?

Hi Everyone,

I've really enjoyed perusing the various threads and learned a lot about the various optional features and I think Club Lexus rocks!

My household boss tells me she wants a Bimmer for her next car but thank goodness I was able to convince her that the IS is no slouch. Honestly, not in the market for a new car just yet but am hoping to get on during the MMC. I couldn't convince her to go for another Accord, haha.

Lexus Canada option packages:
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/Specifi...s=IS&year=2014

For Lexus Canada (or US), are we allowed to cherry pick optional features/add-ons or are we stuck having to purchase the optional packages bundles?

Because of some hearsay about a future turbo engine and/or engine/ transmission upgrade for the IS 250 RWD, we might settle for the base mode (if it does get an 8-speed in the future as well as updated engine) l and possibly just opt for the few things that really matter to us, like the heated steering wheel.

Just wondering how it works because for our 11 Honda Accord, we just went with a trim available and didn't bother with any additional upgrade.

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 09-08-13, 04:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Hi there. Yes, only option packages are what you can choose from. No "a la carte" selection of individual items.

I have the IS 250 (AWD) and it's no slouch. Yes, die-hard performance enthusiasts will say it's slow because their baseline is 0-60mph in 5 seconds or less. The 250 does it in the high 7s and feels very peppy and responsive especially in Sport mode.

The 2.5L V6 is also a gem of an engine. It's is the smoothest V6 I've ever driven and many journalists agree. It may have carbon buildup issues inherently like any other direct-injection engine, but using high-quality fuel and regular maintenance will minimize or prevent that altogether for a reliable experience.

No guarantees on the 2.0L Turbo ~240 hp (rumors) and if it comes around it may even be part of a mid-cycle refresh (3 years at least).

Test drive the 250, you'll be impressed, and remember, Lexus is #1 on reliability (always has), BMW below industry average (yes, below many domestic brands), and now throw in top-of-class performance/handling, the IS is unstoppable.

Go straight to the Lexus dealer and don't turn back.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-13, 08:30 PM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Thanks so much for taking the time to respond CorradoMR2. At least now I know we cannot select options a la carte in Canada.

The front grill (particularly the F-sport) hasn't grow on us yet but like you have said, Lexus is known for reliability and I usually keep cars until the sign of a major repair/breakdown. The interior, even for the base model is already very luxurious.

When the time comes to shop around, I will definitely bring my wife to the Lexus dealership first.

Good to know oil change is every 10k miles at least according to one thread, which is 16k kilometers here in Canada.