IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear Bra & Detailing Price Quote

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 04:40 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I did in fact mention these types of films...
... but thanks for sharing.
Sorry. I didn't see you mention anything about which films self HEAL... not sure what self leveling means since it is not a term used in the PPF industry. And over time the film continues to heal itself... so no need to replace it.
Old 01-21-14, 08:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Sorry. I didn't see you mention anything about which films self HEAL... not sure what self leveling means since it is not a term used in the PPF industry. And over time the film continues to heal itself... so no need to replace it.
A level surface is a surface free of defects... scratches or swirls create a surface that is not level... xpel ultimate and some other films self heal or self level to remove most of these defects.

I have seen examples of when the self-healing film still showed signs of damage after many years of use. It is not 'bulletproof' after all, but it is an awesome product.
Old 01-22-14, 03:24 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
A level surface is a surface free of defects... scratches or swirls create a surface that is not level... xpel ultimate and some other films self heal or self level to remove most of these defects.

I have seen examples of when the self-healing film still showed signs of damage after many years of use. It is not 'bulletproof' after all, but it is an awesome product.
Interesting. Self healing film has been out about two years and so far it has held up well on my test vehicle... which averages 40,000 miles a year of usage and only ever sees the brush at the car wash. it was never advertised as bulletproof... I know that was an exaggeration but still its paint PROTECTION film and is designed to keep the paint from getting damaged. They test it out with quarter inch stones. So obviously a one inch stone at a high rate of speed will damage it... and most likely the panel underneath.
Old 01-24-14, 08:12 AM
BBoyM3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in San Antonio, TX. Concours Auto Salon does all the detailing, film applications., and PDR for my vehicles. i have used both Suntek and X-Pel. I like both. Last time the Suntek had a glossier finish than the X-Pel. This time I will go with the X-Pel top of the line film.

Here are the latest quoted I have:

X-Pel (best PPF they offer): $1,300
- full hood
- full fenders
- bumper
- mirrors,
- headlights

Johnson Window Film (Marathon I think...non-metallic): $300

Full Detail on new car and Opti-Coat with Warranty: $350

The guys at Concours are phenomenal. Beside the aforementioned services, they paint calipers, bumpers, wheels, and engines, They have hydrographics capabilities (really cool). I am sure I am forgetting several things.