IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 08:53 AM
SebaPR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WillK
Probably checked the fluid. I know people think the fluid is not serviceable but it is. The OP has 110K miles of which some//many are spirited driving. Probably dirty fluid.

All of my Toyota's have the same WS transmission fluid and I start changing at 85K miles.
Yes fluid is first to check on the mechanic's list second is the trans oil filter third is tranny seals and guides where it starts getting expensive so i guess and hope its the oil level or the filter replacement since i do like to drive spiritedly more than once in a while lol. Gonna bring the car in to his shop tomorrow so he can start working on it, will write back with the news.
Old 02-02-15, 03:26 PM
racsos222
Driver School Candidate

uggggh same thing is happening to my is350 with 95k miles. Going to take it to the stealer tomorrow. Hopefully its just a fluid change.
Old 02-03-15, 12:21 PM
racsos222
Driver School Candidate

just got word from the dealer that I need a new transmission at 95k miles I expected this but at 95k seems so damn early
Old 02-04-15, 03:56 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Originally Posted by racsos222
just got word from the dealer that I need a new transmission at 95k miles I expected this but at 95k seems so damn early
What was exactly wrong with the tranny??? They didn't specify???

Last week i left the car at the mechanic, he filled tranny oil and replaced the filter which was "extremely dirty" but the problem still persisted.

Dropped the car of yesterday to have the tranny lowered, opened and inspected for repair since the exact fault is still unknown. Also told him to check the diff oil just in case since the car is at 122k and dont want any more problems
Old 02-06-15, 05:40 PM
racsos222
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SebaPR
What was exactly wrong with the tranny??? They didn't specify???

Last week i left the car at the mechanic, he filled tranny oil and replaced the filter which was "extremely dirty" but the problem still persisted.

Dropped the car of yesterday to have the tranny lowered, opened and inspected for repair since the exact fault is still unknown. Also told him to check the diff oil just in case since the car is at 122k and dont want any more problems
they didn't say the exact problem, but I know its the transmission. the revs shoot up while in gear and are super clunky when engaging the next gear. I have it at a very reputable shop where they are installing a remanufactured trans. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the first one
Old 02-09-15, 06:06 AM
SebaPR
Driver

Originally Posted by racsos222
they didn't say the exact problem, but I know its the transmission. the revs shoot up while in gear and are super clunky when engaging the next gear. I have it at a very reputable shop where they are installing a remanufactured trans. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the first one
Damn mine just took time to engage drive and engaged roughly and between gears also did a little rough shifting / wrong timing shifts but still ran pretty well even under hard driving (obviously did for testing purposes) it was actually really weird because while on gear you couldn't tell anything was wrong.
Old 02-09-15, 06:18 AM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks man. Good luck on an inexpensive repair
Old 03-25-15, 10:57 AM
SebaPR
Driver

Originally Posted by ChickenIS
That sucks man. Good luck on an inexpensive repair
not so inexpensive came down to a total of $1,700 the torque converter was fudged up and both of first gear's clutch arms where bad, one was broken and was replaced the other was repaired. The car is up and running pretty smoothly.

Mechanic says the clutch arms where damaged because of attempting burnouts?!?! but I'm not sure about that. I bet it probably was the combination of burnouts + low/old tranny oil i guess if i had know it needed servicing (was misguided by car manual that states it does not), specially under spirited driving, it probably wouldn't have broken.
Old 03-26-15, 04:56 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lexus severe service recommends fluid change at 100k but nobody ever does it. we don't even recommend it on the toyotas with ws fluid at my dealership. i think it is safe to say that a lot of burnouts are the #1 reason why this happened, if you actually were trying them. every single ws trans I've ever replaced belonged to, you guessed it, college kids.