IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

need help with Vaistech Avic-6D anyone have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 12:47 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default need help with Vaistech Avic-6D anyone have?

I just bought this new avic unit for my 2011 IS generation 6 and am having all sorts of trouble.... I searched all over this forum and no luck. I'm hoping one of you out there that also has this can chime in on my issues. Here's what my questions and issues are.

1. The main harness that comes with the unit has a mini audio plug, am I suppose to run that to my center console and plug it in there?
2. After setting up my Samsung galaxy note 3 to the unit all I get is image mirroring. There is no right side control functions.
3. I'm suppose to be able to touch the corners of the screen to bring up different options and no dice.
4. The touch screen is nearly useless, anywhere I touch is practically unresponsive or responds in the wrong place.
5. I have no audio and yes I did connect the avic to my Bluetooth as well. When I start my car all I get is AM radio like static.

I have to assume I have it all hooked up right, I have clean video and its powered. My phone is charging with the USB and I am using a genuine Samsung mhl adapter.. What am I doing wrong?

I have watched YouTube videos but everyones installs are with 5th gen units and the plugs in the back aren't quite the same. Also no one has a setup video. Any help I much appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-06-14, 04:34 PM
LP817
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...all-hints.html
I know this link is for a 2010 ISF but it may help. I own a 07 IS so I'm not sure how the components are on the 2011.
Have you went though the setup where you select your phone, firmware, calibration, etc?
As for audio, Have you connected the BT to both ivic and factory BT before physically connecting your phone to the ivic?
Other than that, try contacting Vaistech. They are pretty quick on responding to emails vs other companies. But you may not get a response til the weekday.
Old 12-08-14, 01:39 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Hey thanks for replying. Yes I did read this guys post on his experience. Couldn't find any of my answers on there. I may have screwed up when first starting with the program mode and flipped both dip switches down which is intended I think for a car with auto reverse feature or something. I did redo it later to the correct setup but it didn't change a thing. It just seems like the unit doesn't want to recognize my phone and only mirrors it. Frustrating. I want to give up on it but I also want to love it like so many other people have said. I sent Vaistech an email when I posted the original post but yes it's the weekend so no word yet. I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure. Thanks again
Old 12-08-14, 07:49 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Okay so for anyone interested, I got it working. I emailed Vaistech Friday but have yet to get a response to my inquiries. I even tried the online live tech support and got zero response....not amused, so I called Vaistech tech support today and spoke to Andrew. Unfortunately he wasn't much help because he said it sounded like I did everything right and couldn't understand why it wasn't working. I retraced my step and even tried to use my mom's note 2 but same results. I reprogrammed and installed my phone and had an epiphany. I noticed my media was playing but wasn't getting any sound except for the tones when I hit menus etc. I then disconnected the Bluetooth audio and nothing. Then I disconnected the Bluetooth to my car and wham! Music to my ears. After that the android side bar with the home buttons etc finally appeared. Now everything seems to be working fine. The screen responds as it should but I haven't got it to scroll or swipe yet. I saw a guy in this forum who installed an avic-5D and he got his to work... so I'm wondering what's up with mine. The fact I lost Bluetooth in my car for phone sucks but isn't a deal breaker. I haven't tried to use the phones speaker yet to see if it picks up well. Tomorrow. I'm enjoying texting on the screen, playing my play lists of music, pandora, watching vids and anything else I want. The only thing I cannot figure out yet and might call vaistech tomorrow to SEE if they can help is, after I watch a video the unit won't switch back to the android desktop. I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in. Don't like that at all. Anyways I'll make a vid soon to showcase some of the cool stuff it does.

Last edited by 10lexISR6; 12-09-14 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-09-14, 06:56 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Update, after playing with the unit some more last night I managed to reconfigure the Bluetooth in my car and got the integrated calling feature working again. Just had to disable the Bluetooth audio streaming through the car. The video playback to android issues also stopped.....for now. We shall see. So far so good.