IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some help with the center console box

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 07:26 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with the center console box

So I think my iVIC is coming in today and I am going to hopefully install it today. I want to place the unit under the glove compartment by removing the panel and placing it in there. Then I need to get the harness to the back of my navigation system. Is there a hole somewhere I can put it through to get it there. Giggity giggity I will also have another wire that will connect into my phone but I will have to run it to the center console storage box. Now this is where I anticipate a problem because I am not sure how I am going to get the wire in there. Any ideas or am I screwed and will have to cut a hole. Someone told me there is a trap door in there.
Old 05-23-14, 08:17 AM
TREE
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I placed my ivic in the glove compartment and drilled a hole in the left side of the compartment to run the wires to the back if the navigation. No matter where you place it you will have to pull out the whole navigation for the connections on the back. I got a longer hdmi cable and I drilled a small hole in the cup holder to have the wire come out where I can plug in the phone and connect to everything.
Old 05-23-14, 08:31 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TREE
I placed my ivic in the glove compartment and drilled a hole in the left side of the compartment to run the wires to the back if the navigation. No matter where you place it you will have to pull out the whole navigation for the connections on the back. I got a longer hdmi cable and I drilled a small hole in the cup holder to have the wire come out where I can plug in the phone and connect to everything.
I know I obviously have to yank the whole nav unit I am just trying to avoid making holes. I am also not talking about putting in the glove compartment itself but the panel underneath/near the airbag. I am wondering if there is access from there.

I don't even have a functioning drill so I might be in some trouble.
Old 05-23-14, 10:07 AM
vartig
Rookie

are you talking about http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php
I was wonder if I can use it for my RX with no Navigation?
Old 05-23-14, 11:13 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vartig
are you talking about http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php
I was wonder if I can use it for my RX with no Navigation?
Not sure but ask em they answer back pretty quick....
Old 05-23-14, 01:09 PM
TREE
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Zinda
I know I obviously have to yank the whole nav unit I am just trying to avoid making holes. I am also not talking about putting in the glove compartment itself but the panel underneath/near the airbag. I am wondering if there is access from there.

I don't even have a functioning drill so I might be in some trouble.
I am not sure underneath the glove box as I never looked there. I really can't think of a place where it could be mounted without drilling a hole either to run the wires to plug the unit into the navigation or plug the iPhone in to the ivic. I had the ml+ before and drilled a he in the bottom if the ashtray to run the cable to the phone which looked good. Without access to a drill I am not quite sure how to proceed. If I think of another option I will post another reply.
Old 05-23-14, 01:16 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TREE
I am not sure underneath the glove box as I never looked there. I really can't think of a place where it could be mounted without drilling a hole either to run the wires to plug the unit into the navigation or plug the iPhone in to the ivic. I had the ml+ before and drilled a he in the bottom if the ashtray to run the cable to the phone which looked good. Without access to a drill I am not quite sure how to proceed. If I think of another option I will post another reply.
Like I said before I am not placing it in the glovebox...You can pop off that panel and I have been told the box can fit in there. Also there is a nice big opening to the back of the nav in there. And from there I can run the wires right below the trim to my center console where there happens to be a trap door.

Will post pics whenever I get a chance
Old 05-23-14, 01:37 PM
TREE
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Zinda
Like I said before I am not placing it in the glovebox...You can pop off that panel and I have been told the box can fit in there. Also there is a nice big opening to the back of the nav in there. And from there I can run the wires right below the trim to my center console where there happens to be a trap door.

Will post pics whenever I get a chance
As I said I never looked under the glovebox to see if it could be placed there. I wanted an easily accessible place for future software upgrades. I just never could find a way of doing it without drilling at least one hole without having a cord running somewhere visible which I didn't want. Just letting you know my experience. Hopefully you can place it where you want it. All I know is I think the ivic is great and I highly recommend it.