IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Navigation Displaying Only White

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 05:13 PM
ShortYBus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Navigation Displaying Only White

As the title states, the screen for the navigation displays ONLY white but does respond to all touch commands.

I'm able to change vent speeds/etc from memory of where the virtual buttons are, but the screen itself only displays white. I'd wager it is a issue with some video ribbon, but does anyone know which specific parts I should be looking at? I've done a cursory search of the forums and noticed people with top units not functioning and digitizers not functioning, but my problem seems a bit different.

As I said before, I can press everything and they all respond, I just can't see anything because it displays all white.

As for additional information, out of curiosity, I took the unit apart, following other IS250 navi repair threads, and didn't notice anything really out of the ordinary. I reconnected everything, and it still displays all white while still responding to touch commands. I'm absolutely certain the digitzer of the screen is fine, but I'm not sure if the video ribbon from the screen is at fault, or a ribbon from the PCB.

Once again, any help would be great. Also, I apologize for any poorly written parts of my post.

Also, if it's not something that I can easily repair, any links to possible parts I would need to order would be great.
Old 11-14-13, 12:45 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fix-diy.html
Old 11-14-13, 01:41 PM
ShortYBus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that through and through and like I said before, my problem is like the reverse of theirs. My screen responds to touch, buttons function, by memory I can hit the virtual buttons to control fan speed, a/c, .etc, turn off display. The problem is that when the screen is on, it only displays white. Reading through a lot of this thread doesn't really address that issue.

Sorry if there was confusion about my issue before.

EDIT:
Finally got it working again, had to go through all the connections with a fine tooth comb, especially all the latching mechanisms. Thanks to anyone who paid attention to this thread. If you guys were curious about the culprit, here are the links that helped me figure it out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...0405-00155.jpg

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8153752-post247.html

This latch is the least intuitive to figure out just by looking at it, compared to the others, because of the fact that you flip up the metal part and it causes the brown plastic crimp bracket to slide back, functioning on two axis of direction, whereas the others were much more straight forward (also in appearance).

Last edited by ShortYBus; 11-14-13 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 06:53 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

^Very interesting! I've not read about someone having screen issues and still able to use it. So you're saying that this ribbon connector and ribbon wasn't seated 100% any longer and after you disconnected them and reconnected it the NAV unit started working?

Here's soon background on my NAV unit issues as of late; for the last three days it has no functioned at all.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-related.html
Old 05-22-22, 04:17 PM
Jakepetruz
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having same issue and am stuck.

I hope someone is watching still. I am having the same exact issue, white screen but can use all functions based off memory. So I have everything taken apart and I’m stuck checking the connections. I’m not sure which one is the correct ribbon.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (05-22-22)
Old 05-23-22, 10:49 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakepetruz
I hope someone is watching still. I am having the same exact issue, white screen but can use all functions based off memory. So I have everything taken apart and I’m stuck checking the connections. I’m not sure which one is the correct ribbon.
I haven't had one of these apart but the display requires far more data than the touch screen. The large one at the top must be the display. Look the pins of ribbon over for irregular dents, i.e. like in a slant.

The left side is power to the back-lit display. It's working or you wouldn't see anything. White thick wires.

For kicks, maybe take some close up pictures of the top connector and the 3 at the bottom.
Old 05-23-22, 11:12 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Very interesting! I've not read about someone having screen issues and still able to use it. So you're saying that this ribbon connector and ribbon wasn't seated 100% any longer and after you disconnected them and reconnected it the NAV unit started working?

Here's soon background on my NAV unit issues as of late; for the last three days it has no functioned at all.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-related.html

I suspect yours failed from solder embrittlement of a BGA component. BGA is ball grid array. Large components have all the connections of the IC under them, as solder *****. Through countless heating cooling cycles, the lead free solder cracks and data / power is lost. It works sometimes intermittently when the thermal expansion is just right.

A BGA IC:

A BGA PCBA:

In various threads people talk about putting this stuff in the oven at 250°F, but solder melts north of 550°. The only correct fix is to remove the part, clean the PCBA and BGA, apply new solder and then reflow the solder. Most of which takes special equipment. Hot air guns designed for this type of work are pretty common.

Backing up: when the planet went to RoHos (lead free solder), its not as ductal as tin/lead solder so it does fracture after repeated heat cycles.

And ya, I've done some but only to pass an annual solder certification and that was a while a when working on medical equipment.
Old 05-25-22, 01:31 PM
Jakepetruz
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some close up pictures

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I haven't had one of these apart but the display requires far more data than the touch screen. The large one at the top must be the display. Look the pins of ribbon over for irregular dents, i.e. like in a slant.

The left side is power to the back-lit display. It's working or you wouldn't see anything. White thick wires.

For kicks, maybe take some close up pictures of the top connector and the 3 at the bottom.

Tried to get highest quality pictures I can. I don’t see any bent pins or anything out of the ordinary but maybe someone with a better eye can double check

Last edited by Jakepetruz; 05-25-22 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Images aren’t posting as clear as the picture taken is I’m very sorry