IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mating a GS350 F-Sport Front Bumper to the 2IS (Step by Step)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 05:57 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice price, work seems be solid, now comes the fine touches in the sanding process. Looks promising!!
Old 01-31-13, 06:07 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

wow thats a big job to tackle good luck and waiting for finished product!
Old 01-31-13, 11:53 AM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make a mold after you're done and sell these
Old 01-31-13, 11:56 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CCJ22
$1100 sir for labor and paint.
Originally Posted by Rash
Turned out really great, perfect fitment judging from the video.
Yea Rash they did a helluva job. Now the only question is will they pull off my idea to run emblemless up front? Remember I bought two grills. I hope they stitch it correctly.
Originally Posted by Kumar350
Ccj how are you running a front view CAM? I want details please
Yea man, essentially I'm mounting it to the radiator air flow cover and will run the wire up, with wire loom, through my firewall hole located behind the battery, down the a pillar wall, under the carpet, and into my vaistech IVIC-5D video pre-out.
Originally Posted by BernieIS
This is very impressive. It looks like there are still guys crazy enough to spend on these cars. There are a lot of guys out there that try to build a car to cheaply and it ends up looking like a nice car with a cheap build.

Congrats on this awesome bumper. Are you going to add a lip like the 5 Axis? It would really be nuts then.
Thanks Bernie for the kind words brother. I haven't ruled out 5axis lip. The AD team is taking forever though on the build and I don't think they'll have a beta product for another 2 months sadly.
Originally Posted by karasha
ONLY $1100?!?!

I'm going to send my car over to Florida... Shop here in Houston wants $750 just to paint my front bumper and wald lip!

Looks good!
Kathleen, avoid that paint shop... I've been to many. Some in Arkansas, one in Dallas, and several here in FL. That price is crazy high.
And I should preface that the $1100 quote was also because I rep Phanly auto body every time I'm at a show, event, or a fuel station and someone asks about my car. Not to mention I've spent several thousand with them in the past for molding my navigation, extending front and rear fenders, etc... So we have history. Plus he knows I'm giving him a wald spoiler to mold in March.
Originally Posted by 671gs
That's a good price!!
I should preface that the $1100 quote was also because I rep Phanly auto body every time I'm at a show, event, or a fuel station and someone asks about my car. Not to mention I've spent several thousand with them in the past for molding my navigation, extending front and rear fenders, etc... So we have history. Plus he knows I'm giving him a wald spoiler to mold in March.
Originally Posted by norapat01
CCJ22, I think this GS bumper looks better than 3IS. But since you are planing to part out the car later, let me know when you want to sell this bumper. I'll buy it off of ya!

1st dips,
Thanks so much. Indeed sir, you will have 1st dibs come part-out time for me.
Originally Posted by RyanIS
looks OEM, body shop did a great job. looking forward to painted/final pics.
Thanks Ryan. My car has been down for weeks. I'm ready to have her back so I can throw on the brakes and wheels and just enjoy her for once.
Originally Posted by Nexson
Nice price, work seems be solid, now comes the fine touches in the sanding process. Looks promising!!
Thanks Nexson! I haven't forgotten what you and I spoke about in PM's either. I just shot video of the navigation modling area via PM.
Originally Posted by c-low
wow thats a big job to tackle good luck and waiting for finished product!
Thanks C.
Old 01-31-13, 12:00 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 6i9
Make a mold after you're done and sell these
To make a mold costs $30k. HKS350 already attempted to go down that road.
Plus I like that very very few people will have this bumper. Ever.
It's like the LED headlights. To be unique, now, at a car show... Is to have non LED headlights.
If I did have $30k to make a mold, I'd still do what I am doing now and not make a mold. The fact that only 2 people have this bumper on a 2IS is worth forfeiting the potential net profits from selling the mold.
Old 01-31-13, 12:12 PM
RyanIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does HKS350 still have his bumper? I remember everything getting deleted from his thread.

You mentioned parting out...thats not going to be for a while right? You should def enjoy this thing when you get it back with all hard work you have put into building it. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-31-13, 12:20 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

they are doing a very nice job. looks very aggresive
Old 01-31-13, 01:52 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Kathleen, avoid that paint shop... I've been to many. Some in Arkansas, one in Dallas, and several here in FL. That price is crazy high.
And I should preface that the $1100 quote was also because I rep Phanly auto body every time I'm at a show, event, or a fuel station and someone asks about my car. Not to mention I've spent several thousand with them in the past for molding my navigation, extending front and rear fenders, etc... So we have history. Plus he knows I'm giving him a wald spoiler to mold in March.
HAHA not used to someone calling me Kathleen... I go by Katie.

The shame is that it's really the only "good" body shop here in Houston, as far as I know. Sadly though, they kinda bummed me out because I took them in for them to paint my damaged fender (from being too low) and it cost me $800 just to roll the fender lip back and paint it. Ontop of that, one of their employees gauged the crap out of our sensitive dashes. To their defense, they have took care of me by painting my front grill and some engine bay plastics for free.

I've gone to another recommended shop that did work on my car for half the price (paint front bumper & lip, and mold my wald spoiler) and it really came out quite unimpressive. It had paint drips, they burned through the paint, and it has orange peel.

Who'd you go up to in Dallas? Jotech? They have quite an impressive reputation, obviously. But I am still searching around... one day I will find a reasonable shop that does quality work for a good price.
Old 01-31-13, 04:32 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RyanIS
Does HKS350 still have his bumper? I remember everything getting deleted from his thread.

You mentioned parting out...thats not going to be for a while right? You should def enjoy this thing when you get it back with all hard work you have put into building it. Keep up the great work!
The part out is something I always go back and forth with. I'm very very much like a woman (no sexism intended) in that I'm as indecisive as a woman attempting to figure out where she wants to go out to eat. So, for now, no part-out until I see the 2-door IS-F that should peak it's head in 2014. But yea Ryan thanks so much for the kind words.
And yes sir HKS still has that bumper he's just very shy with it
He removed a lot of the pics for reasons unknown. I understand he was asked to NOT post about the making of a mold and selling said molds. But he was never asked to remove pics. As far as I know of course. So take that for what it's worth.
Originally Posted by jadu
they are doing a very nice job. looks very aggresive
Thank you much Jadu.
Originally Posted by karasha
HAHA not used to someone calling me Kathleen... I go by Katie.

The shame is that it's really the only "good" body shop here in Houston, as far as I know. Sadly though, they kinda bummed me out because I took them in for them to paint my damaged fender (from being too low) and it cost me $800 just to roll the fender lip back and paint it. Ontop of that, one of their employees gauged the crap out of our sensitive dashes. To their defense, they have took care of me by painting my front grill and some engine bay plastics for free.

I've gone to another recommended shop that did work on my car for half the price (paint front bumper & lip, and mold my wald spoiler) and it really came out quite unimpressive. It had paint drips, they burned through the paint, and it has orange peel.

Who'd you go up to in Dallas? Jotech? They have quite an impressive reputation, obviously. But I am still searching around... one day I will find a reasonable shop that does quality work for a good price.
O shoot. Sorry Katie. And that stinks to hear about H-town shops being so expensive.
I went to Krometics spray chrome in Dallas. Ask for Ben. Tell him I sent ya. He does good stuff for good price. At least he did for me. I hope that helps.
Old 01-31-13, 06:45 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much. Indeed sir, you will have 1st dibs come part-out time for me.
Thx. Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime when you want to get rid of it

Cant wait to see it complete!
Old 01-31-13, 09:52 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wlmngtn310
This is beyond stupid and will look retarded. It's been done on a white IS and as stated, looks beyond stupid.
Look at it this way everyone has a idea of what they want to mod on there car and it thier choice to do that. I'm sure you would'nt like people bagging on your ride so why do it on someone elses.
Old 02-01-13, 09:07 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Early April fools.

Last edited by CCJ22; 02-03-13 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 10:25 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ saw this on facebook today
Old 02-01-13, 10:27 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I really wanna know the name of that kit
Old 02-01-13, 11:04 AM
nguminh
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn that looks so crazy. I want to do something like this I just need to find a shop that's willing..

Quick Reply: Mating a GS350 F-Sport Front Bumper to the 2IS (Step by Step)