Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DRL Full Power

Old 08-17-12, 10:11 AM   #1
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

http://instagram.com/kumar350
Default DRL Full Power

I know there is a way to have my DRL be on at full power without having high beams on can someone chime in on this or direct me to the link. Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Kumar350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 11:02 AM   #2
CLIS250
Pole Position
Trader Score: (4)

so in other words you want your DRL/high beam bulb to be at full power while the lows arent on, if I understand correctly. You can just run a wire harness from the battery directly to the bulbs so everytime your car is on, the bulbs are at full power.
- H&R Sport Springs - F-Sport Sway Bars (F&R) - F-Sport Cold Air Intake - F-Sport Shift Knob - F-Sport Spoiler - Roof Spoiler - MacTac Satin Black Roof + Spoilers - 8000k HIDs (Independent Fogs) - Luminics 2500k DRLs - JLC LEDs - Illuminated White LED Door Sills - JDM Visors - Hella Horns - Tints: 35% All Around / 50% Windshield / 5% Strip - iPod Interface Kit - Plastidip Emblems + Grill - Redouts - 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra
CLIS250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:05 PM   #3
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Ok how would one go about doing that? Do i need a harness for each light? diy?

#WICKEDMACHINES

My Build Thread http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...hs-thread.html
Old 08-21-12, 12:11 PM   #4
Navigatn
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Drl at 100% = high beams. don't you think the cars in front of u will be annoyed?
Navigatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:23 PM   #5
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigatn View Post
Drl at 100% = high beams. don't you think the cars in front of u will be annoyed?
My DRLs will only be on during the day time i dont think cars will mind. At night I do not drive with Highbeams on I only run headlights and fogs at night.

#WICKEDMACHINES

My Build Thread http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...hs-thread.html
Old 08-21-12, 12:29 PM   #6
Navigatn
Pole Position

Ok, but if u direct tap it to the batt, then they will be on at night as well. U may need a relay.
Old 08-21-12, 12:36 PM   #7
Navigatn
Pole Position

Oh ok, I read ur build thread and I think I know what ur going for. U want ur 6k led drl's to be at 100% to achieve blue/white output. So basically u won't have highbeams at all.
Old 08-21-12, 12:41 PM   #8
cwtt
Rookie

DRL are ugly.

You are going to have one interesting wiring setup. How do you plan to wire the relays so that you have brights during the day, but not when your headlights are on? I would love to hear your answer for this.
Old 08-21-12, 03:36 PM   #9
CLIS250
Pole Position
Trader Score: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtt View Post
DRL are ugly.

You are going to have one interesting wiring setup. How do you plan to wire the relays so that you have brights during the day, but not when your headlights are on? I would love to hear your answer for this.
run a wire harness with switch, powered to the battery. and flick the switch during the day and turn off the switch at night.
- H&R Sport Springs - F-Sport Sway Bars (F&R) - F-Sport Cold Air Intake - F-Sport Shift Knob - F-Sport Spoiler - Roof Spoiler - MacTac Satin Black Roof + Spoilers - 8000k HIDs (Independent Fogs) - Luminics 2500k DRLs - JLC LEDs - Illuminated White LED Door Sills - JDM Visors - Hella Horns - Tints: 35% All Around / 50% Windshield / 5% Strip - iPod Interface Kit - Plastidip Emblems + Grill - Redouts - 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra
CLIS250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 04:08 PM   #10
linus73
Lead Lap

steve lobello

ok this is easy! if you want only the drl lights on at full power during the day then, you will have to go directly to the drl wire harnes at the bulb and cut the positive wire away from the computer and wire in a relay to power the drl light . you will need 1 relay and 1 switch and 1 fuse holder. if you do not know how to wire a relay to do this let me know. you can also use the cruise control on/off switch as the source to give the relay the negative signal it needs and power from battery to the relay also. by using the cruise control on/off switch you would not need to add an additional switch in the car. even if the cruise control is on you dont have to use it, you are only getting the signal from it. i did this when i rewired my foglights to come on whenever i wanted them to, using the oem fog dial switch, now i can turn on my fogs even if no other lights are on. i said the cruise control switch as an example, you can use any other switch you want as long as it gives you a negative signal when turned on. the relay will takes care of powering the light itself. this may sound a bit confusing but trust me i know how to rewire anything using relays and oem switches.
F-sport springs and exhaust 20x8.5 lexani lss-10..fly audio mod from original nav unit,painted smoked tailights, carbon fiber interrior wrap,jdm chrome grille,front /rear replica lips, rear roof spoiler, trunk spoiler,avs rainguards,weathertech floor liners,viper 5902 w/smartstart, spl competitor,mmats 3000.5, custom MONSTER SERIES subwoofer enclosure by S&A.

now have an LS 460
linus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 04:10 PM   #11
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigatn View Post
Oh ok, I read ur build thread and I think I know what ur going for. U want ur 6k led drl's to be at 100% to achieve blue/white output. So basically u won't have highbeams at all.
Yes exactly. Don't really care for high beams especially when the combo of my headlights and fogs then headlights with drl.
Old 08-21-12, 04:13 PM   #12
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtt View Post
DRL are ugly.

My friend to each his own. Personally I like the look of DRL just want more output. As to the "mess of wiring" if there is a will there is a way. If you look inside my trunk I have an aftermarket sub/amp which I taped into the stock amp and a hilo converter as well as a switch. You do not see one loose wire. It is a pet peive of mine to lOok clean so I will figure out something.
Old 08-21-12, 04:16 PM   #13
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus73 View Post
ok this is easy! if you want only the drl lights on at full power during the day then, you will have to go directly to the drl wire harnes at the bulb and cut the positive wire away from the computer and wire in a relay to power the drl light . you will need 1 relay and 1 switch and 1 fuse holder. if you do not know how to wire a relay to do this let me know. you can also use the cruise control on/off switch as the source to give the relay the negative signal it needs and power from battery to the relay also. by using the cruise control on/off switch you would not need to add an additional switch in the car. even if the cruise control is on you dont have to use it, you are only getting the signal from it. i did this when i rewired my foglights to come on whenever i wanted them to, using the oem fog dial switch, now i can turn on my fogs even if no other lights are on. i said the cruise control switch as an example, you can use any other switch you want as long as it gives you a negative signal when turned on. the relay will takes care of powering the light itself. this may sound a bit confusing but trust me i know how to rewire anything using relays and oem switches.

Thanks for the help please pm me but confused.
Old 08-22-12, 12:57 AM   #14
ISCjonny
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (7)

Send a message via AIM to ISCjonny

If you're trying to power LED DRL bulbs at full power.. Just buy a DRL module. Its basically a capacitor that plugs in between the bulb and the factory harness that converts the 3V DRL power to 12V so your LED bulbs can run at full power.

2006 LEXUS IS350 || Project Limitless//Fabulous IS350 ~SOLD~

2010 LEXUS IS350C || Starfire Pearl//Black Interior

2012 LEXUS CT200h F Sport SE || Starfire Pearl//Ocean Blue NuLuxe

2013 LEXUS RX350 F Sport || Nebula Gray Pearl//Black Interior
ISCjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 09:33 AM   #15
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (28)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCjonny View Post
If you're trying to power LED DRL bulbs at full power.. Just buy a DRL module. Its basically a capacitor that plugs in between the bulb and the factory harness that converts the 3V DRL power to 12V so your LED bulbs can run at full power.
This is the way dhru, some people seem to be confused in this thread, LED bulbs even at full power will not be as bright as the stock High beam bulbs so you wont be bothering anyone.

State of Stance Feature

#LEXUSBOYS
TLN #Φ... because that's how the 5% rolls.
VOLK GT-V/WORK GNOSIS GS3/F-Sport's/ENKEi NT-03/CONCAVO CW-S5/HRE 540R
Vroomin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 09:33 AM

Tags
08, 600, cl, daylight, daytime, drl, lamps, lexus, light, night, oem, powering, running, sale, switch, turn