IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mount LED Boards (Dome Lights)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 12:54 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mount LED Boards (Dome Lights)

I picked up some LED boards for the internal lights on my IS350. Wondering if anyone else has these and how they mounted them.

They come with some double sided tape on them, but that isn't very strong. After hitting a few holes or listening to my stereo (with aftermarket sub) for a while, they keep falling down and resting on the lens covers. When this happens, you can clearly see the board resting on the lens and it looks kinda crappy... doubt many people notice it, but I know its there and like that...

Looking forward to some suggestions.

thanks
Old 04-13-12, 01:09 PM
EricOrtiz
Driver

Originally Posted by ydnandy
I picked up some LED boards for the internal lights on my IS350. Wondering if anyone else has these and how they mounted them.

They come with some double sided tape on them, but that isn't very strong. After hitting a few holes or listening to my stereo (with aftermarket sub) for a while, they keep falling down and resting on the lens covers. When this happens, you can clearly see the board resting on the lens and it looks kinda crappy... doubt many people notice it, but I know its there and like that...

Looking forward to some suggestions.

thanks
Try putting some 3M tape on it. And how did you take off te dome lights I'm trying to take mine off aswell
Old 04-13-12, 01:19 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I picked up some velcro to see if i can somehow use that.... but there isn't much to stick the velcro to in the place where the light goes...

As for taking out the dome lights, the rear one was pretty easy. You just pry it off with a screwdriver or something... you should see a little slit where the pry tool can be inserted. The front is a little more difficult... you can pry off the lens, but that usually results in damaging it. The right way to do it is to undo the two screws in the sun glass holder and then pull down that entire plastic assembly. You have to pull the front kinda hard, there are two clips holding it in place. Once removed, pull out the bulbs and use a pencil/screwdriver to push out the lens from the back side through the hole left by removing the bulbs.
Old 04-13-12, 01:33 PM
EricOrtiz
Driver

Originally Posted by ydnandy
I picked up some velcro to see if i can somehow use that.... but there isn't much to stick the velcro to in the place where the light goes...

As for taking out the dome lights, the rear one was pretty easy. You just pry it off with a screwdriver or something... you should see a little slit where the pry tool can be inserted. The front is a little more difficult... you can pry off the lens, but that usually results in damaging it. The right way to do it is to undo the two screws in the sun glass holder and then pull down that entire plastic assembly. You have to pull the front kinda hard, there are two clips holding it in place. Once removed, pull out the bulbs and use a pencil/screwdriver to push out the lens from the back side through the hole left by removing the bulbs.
Do you have any pictures of this DYI? But thanks for the information
Old 04-13-12, 01:47 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I didnt take any pics, but there are a few other threads that detail the install process:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ting-mods.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...de-w-pics.html
Old 06-28-12, 03:31 PM
Yuri101
Driver

ye i really want a fix to this , it has been bothering me alot and i tried multiple times to like make it stick but it just keeps falling. hopefully someone has a good suggestion
Old 06-28-12, 04:41 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yuri101
ye i really want a fix to this , it has been bothering me alot and i tried multiple times to like make it stick but it just keeps falling. hopefully someone has a good suggestion
try hot glue. apply to LED board corners.
give a try.
Old 06-29-12, 04:31 AM
Yuri101
Driver

only reason i haven't tried glue is then i might not be able to get it off lol. but i might try that since its really only option i have left
Old 06-29-12, 04:39 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I was just too nervous about the hot glue getting on my leather interior... Might have to reconsider, the lights bug me everytime i see them and they have been rattling lately
Old 06-29-12, 12:19 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most hot glue grade are for common use, not like the industrial type.
so you should be fine with it.
easy to peel off on light housing (inside) and LED board.
Old 06-29-12, 03:05 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I found the rear dome to be more difficult than the front. The front you can unscrew and pry it open with a plastic tool but rear dome is very tight. Here's a tip, go buy some suction cups where you can hang picture from the mirror at Walmart or something. These things can pull off the rear dome without using any tool.