IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does the rev limiter make S-mode fool proof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 02:01 PM
freeflight
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In this case, it is better to put transmission in power mode to gain better acceleration.
Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, there's the fact that if you just left it in D you'd get much faster shifts, so all you're doing with the paddles is slowing the car down...
Old 04-28-11, 03:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by freeflight
In this case, it is better to put transmission in power mode to gain better acceleration.
On the contrary- if flooring the car putting it in power mode will slow you down compared to leaving it in normal.

ECT-Power is only useful for on/off and part-throttle type driving. For a floor-it drag race it's slower than normal.
Old 04-28-11, 05:01 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very good description. Good job. I would however refrain from saying that they are not very useful. In fact for 95% of owners they are very useful as it allows you to control the gears without worrying about stalling or over revving. In fact if you learn to work with the computer it can be very useful.
Old 04-29-11, 04:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Very good description. Good job. I would however refrain from saying that they are not very useful. In fact for 95% of owners they are very useful as it allows you to control the gears without worrying about stalling or over revving. In fact if you learn to work with the computer it can be very useful.
Except it does not let you "control the gears".

M mode in an IS-F... or a true manual... let you control the gears.

The ISx50 paddles?

It lets you set the maximum gear. That's it.
Old 04-29-11, 06:44 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good info
Old 04-29-11, 09:04 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Except it does not let you "control the gears".

M mode in an IS-F... or a true manual... let you control the gears.

The ISx50 paddles?

It lets you set the maximum gear. That's it.
Kurtz, I respect you and your depth and breadth of knowledge.
However, I only wish you would see the way I see on how to "use" these paddle shifters.

All your points are very valid on the point that these are not true gear shifters, but then does it matter how you get to the desired gear? It does get the work done, which is to downshift as needed by limiting the upper gear.
As far as up-shifting, the transmission computer does a great job of determining when to shift based upon the throttle position (fully opened WOT, half throttle, fully closed) and speed, which in essence communicates the drivers intent on how he/she wants the car to be driven.
Old 04-29-11, 09:47 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

you should just set it at s-mode 6 and drive like that
Old 04-29-11, 10:20 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vital
you should just set it at s-mode 6 and drive like that
and how will it get into the right lower gear for enhanced engine braking and quick pull at the apex as I am approaching a turn ...fast?
Old 04-29-11, 10:46 AM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah hitting the REV limiter you will be fine, If my car is running great still with 73K & 6 track days & hitting the rev limiter almost every time at least once every session trying to hit that perfect "shift" say you will be fine. Yea wish our cars shifted like the F.
Old 04-29-11, 12:16 PM
diablo1714
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciated this thread, since I'm new to the IS and also to paddle shifters (er, gear limiters !).

It still took me three reads to get it.
Old 04-29-11, 12:43 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

ha ha.... it is like the Matrix movie. yes it is mind boggling at first, but very simple to understand once you get it.

Key points / Definitive guide to using the Paddles:

Straight line acceleration: keep the car in 'D' mode. Do not switch on Power mode.

Quick boost for overtaking at higher speeds: Slap the gear stick to 'S'. Switches the gear to '4' right away. At the same time, hit the gas pedal. The rpm match that happens as a result of this is just wonderful and you shoot away like a bullet without any herky-jerking gear shift experience.

Rapid Deceleration for a sharp turn: Slap the gear stick to 'S'. Switches the gear to '4' right away. If you need more engine braking, slap the '-' paddle once or twice to get to '3' or '2' depending upon your need.

Maintaining power levels on a hilly road: Slap the gear stick to 'S' and slap the '-' paddle once or twice to get to '3' or '2' depending upon your need. This will keep your gear shifts optimized for the hilly terrain.

Not recommended: upshifting by means of the paddle shifters...neeee...gear limiters. Keep it in 'D'. The computer is optimized to shift very well for the engine and transmission combination and in my opinion bests most manual stick shift gear changes.

Last edited by chikoo; 04-29-11 at 01:12 PM.