IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Car almost Killed me tonite.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 04:40 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something similar happened to me a little while back, but i was going very slow - turning out of my driveway actually, the steering wheel jerked real hard and squeezed it and felt that it wanted to jerk again, but when i pulled out the driveway and straightened out my steering wheel it stopped wanting to jerk, ride to work was fine no problems.

The possessed steering wheel is straight up scary, someone should look up that thread for those who have not seen it.
Old 04-14-10, 04:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

One common element to all these steering issues is aftermarket HIDs. Every single time. I strongly disagree this would have to be something like your TV and magnet analogy. You really don't know what kind of noise is being fed back into the power system on the car by the aftermarket device and what effect it may have on the steering center sensing device. And it surely ISN'T Lexus's fault your HIDs are incompatible with the electronic steering rack they installed on the car.

I've been working with electronics since I was 13. That's 37 years, and 20 of it professionally on ground and aircraft systems while in the Air Force. I've seen a lot of weird stuff happen with electronic devices and controls. There's a basic problem Lexus addressed with the OEM HID system that the aftermarket couldn't possibly anticipate. Only Lexus knows what it is, but your car isn't warranted against all defects once you modify it. I'd bet an awful lot of money this problem is directly linked to the aftermarket parts and Lexus says you need to remove the lights or they can't be responsible for what happens.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-14-10 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 06:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Real talk, take the possessed steering wheel video and take it to your local news. As it is the SUV Lexus is getting recalled because of roll overs. Its gonna mess up lexus image, but if you go to the media, they will fix the problem.
have you thought this out before you hit the reply button? if you go to the media with this, they won't fix any problems. if anything, they'll make it worse for lexus, and very likely it will start a chain reaction that'll end up costing consumers like you and me.

and as this is an isolated issue resulting from "improper" installation of aftermarket HID conversion kits and not an issue resulting from a design/manufacturing defect, causing a bunch of ruckus about this will only continue to give reason to limit the aftermarket industry - and again, it'll end up costing consumers (enthusiasts/modders) like you and me.

i'm sorry, but the absence of foresight in your post tells me that you are completely unaware of the consequences of being a rabble-rouser. i'd think twice about going to the media with anything that will feed their frenzy.
Old 04-14-10, 07:02 PM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your terrifying experience, glad your alright though...

It' been almost 4 months since I had my "Possessed Steering wheel" episode...

Not once since have I turned the lights to auto mode, but one time I left them in the normal on position accidentally, and when I started the car the next time the p/s was officially "out" until I pulled over, stopped, and started the car again.

Aside from the one time I forgot, I have always been manually turning on my lights AFTER startup.

I know that I cannot consistently "replicate" the problems, (just as my dealership couldn't) however, every time they randomly happen my lights are either in "on mode", or "auto mode".

Last edited by aQuarius26; 04-14-10 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 08:19 PM
AMSPHAN
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
One common element to all these steering issues is aftermarket HIDs. Every single time. I strongly disagree this would have to be something like your TV and magnet analogy. You really don't know what kind of noise is being fed back into the power system on the car by the aftermarket device and what effect it may have on the steering center sensing device. And it surely ISN'T Lexus's fault your HIDs are incompatible with the electronic steering rack they installed on the car.

I've been working with electronics since I was 13. That's 37 years, and 20 of it professionally on ground and aircraft systems while in the Air Force. I've seen a lot of weird stuff happen with electronic devices and controls. There's a basic problem Lexus addressed with the OEM HID system that the aftermarket couldn't possibly anticipate. Only Lexus knows what it is, but your car isn't warranted against all defects once you modify it. I'd bet an awful lot of money this problem is directly linked to the aftermarket parts and Lexus says you need to remove the lights or they can't be responsible for what happens.
By aftermarket HID, do you mean HID fogs, low beam or both? I just installed some HID Fogs yesterday and am a little worried.
Old 04-14-10, 08:22 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AMSPHAN
By aftermarket HID, do you mean HID fogs, low beam or both? I just installed some HID Fogs yesterday and am a little worried.
From reading the past threads, it seems like this "problem" only occurs when owners installed aftermarket low beams and installed the ballast very close to the ECU/computers..
Old 04-14-10, 10:31 PM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
From reading the past threads, it seems like this "problem" only occurs when owners installed aftermarket low beams and installed the ballast very close to the ECU/computers..
That is correct...

One Ballast is located right up against what is presumably the "Main ECU" (driver side to the left of the washer fluid cap) & another Ballast is located back on the wheel well below/near what is supposedly the "Power Steering ECU" (passenger side just below the battery)

As installed according to Muzzman1's thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html
Old 04-15-10, 02:47 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

mine is located right where muzzman's is located. my hid ballasts have a EMI filter, but i think i am going to relocate them just for ease of mind.

where did you move yours to aquarius?
Old 04-15-10, 11:01 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know this problem was related to aftermarket hid's... well in that case its not really lexus problem. Glad mines came with hid stock
Old 04-15-10, 12:06 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
I didn't know this problem was related to aftermarket hid's... well in that case its not really lexus problem. Glad mines came with hid stock
But do we really know that? Its just someones theory. Im not 100% sold on it. There are many cars, honda, acura, VW's that people modify and put in aftermarket HID's in. Ive never heard of something as serious as this happening. I would say you probably would have to talk to the manufacturer of aftermarket HID kits and ask them if this is remotely possible.
Old 04-15-10, 12:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flektone
But do we really know that? Its just someones theory. Im not 100% sold on it. There are many cars, honda, acura, VW's that people modify and put in aftermarket HID's in. Ive never heard of something as serious as this happening. I would say you probably would have to talk to the manufacturer of aftermarket HID kits and ask them if this is remotely possible.
Good luck in getting a straight answer from any aftermarket manufacturer. They are not the ones that will honor the Lexus warranty.
Old 04-15-10, 01:03 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I just ordered my HIDs 3 days ago

Should i be safe keeping the ballast away from the ECUs?
Old 04-15-10, 04:28 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good luck in getting a straight answer from any aftermarket manufacturer. They are not the ones that will honor the Lexus warranty.
This is not the point of honoring a warrenty. We all know aftermarket parts can do more harm then good to your car. But when it comes to a point that installing an aftermarket part can cause your steering wheel to turn on its own and kill you thats a problem. If the HID manufacturer has any knowledge that installing these HIDS to close to the cars ECU will cause that problem then there should be a warning label atleast on the packaging. But like I said before that is only theory and I find it hard to believe its true. The only good thing about this is the average person driving an IS hasnt come to the media about this. Believe me I hope its just an aftermarket HID problem. I just dropped $15k on this car and I plan on keeping it for awhile. I dont want to be afraid to drive it.
Old 04-16-10, 12:57 AM
nguyen87
Pole Position

dang, that stuff is scary
Old 04-16-10, 02:31 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow...aftermarket HID lights affect the steering ecu?

Quick Reply: My Car almost Killed me tonite.