IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Special Order Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 08:03 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Order Question

I special ordered an IS 350 in early November. I checked with the sales manager last week and he said my car should be built in January with delivery in February.

My question for those who have special ordered their cars: Should I be getting periodic updates that say when the build date is, when the car leaves Japan, when it arrives in the U.S., etc.?

I just want to know if I can get updates. Or does one day the dealer call and say "your car will be here this week."

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-18-09, 08:43 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

it depends on the dealer. Some dealers actually call you with the progress sometimes they don't but they'll definitely call you when your car is coming in a few days that's all... Even if you request updates sometimes these dealers are plain lazy to call you so yeah...
Old 01-18-09, 12:55 PM
knox_sport
Driver

I special ordered a 250 in 06 and it was almost 4 months exactly. I received no updates until the dealer wanted me to come pick it up. If you ask the dealer, they can look up what's on the boat coming over, if they want to put the effort into it. But that would only work once it made it onto the boat, and that might not be until February.

With Toyota shutting down all their plants for a few extra days in February and March, it wouldn't surprise me if yours was Feb-Mar before arrival.

Good luck and enjoy. There's nothing like getting the car exactly the way you want it.
Old 01-18-09, 01:02 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

no, you dont get any updates until your car is ready for pick up at the dealer
Old 01-18-09, 04:17 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to put any Fsport upgrades, now might be a good time. because their labor is much cheaper than the dealership. you can tell them now you want ex: Fsport intake, and they will install it at the port of entry in the US. and you could be saving some money in installation. same with fsport springs, exhaust, etc.

I know you havent even gotten your car, but these are top priorities. hehe LOL
Old 01-18-09, 04:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
no, you dont get any updates until your car is ready for pick up at the dealer
Depends on the dealer.

Mine sent me the VIN and full order detail once the car was actually physically built and put on the boat for shipping to the US.

A bit later (wanna say a couple weeks) he informed me it had reached port and would be shipped to him (arriving a few days later)

The next contact was the "Hey, your car is here" one.

Roughly 2.5 months from start to finish.
Old 01-18-09, 04:29 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW has updates on the internet and via email...

I thought Lexus did not do special order cars? they are only allotted to the dealerships and you can trade with other dealers for the right combo you want...
Old 01-18-09, 04:51 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB

I thought Lexus did not do special order cars? they are only allotted to the dealerships and you can trade with other dealers for the right combo you want...
wrong. i special ordered mine through the dealer and it took 4 months from placing the order to picking it up.

there was no way in hell i was going to find 6 speed with only nav in SGM (as in no other option/package) anywhere on the east coast. so i had to special order and now i have no regrets.
Old 01-18-09, 04:53 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting......honestly, it has NOTHING to do with "special order" or "made to build" like other manufacturers offer like BMW and MB, the dealer just allocates it through their area office....so your car which was made for the west coast/south, ended up being allocated to the midatlantic....
Old 01-18-09, 05:18 PM
Lenscap
Driver

interesting......honestly, it has NOTHING to do with "special order" or "made to build" like other manufacturers offer like BMW and MB, the dealer just allocates it through their area office....so your car which was made for the west coast/south, ended up being allocated to the midatlantic....
This is not true. I wanted my car made in a way that was not being produced in any region for any dealer.

The dealer I ordered from said they have special ordered some very unusual equipment/color combinations over the years.
Old 01-18-09, 05:56 PM
RA052624
Driver

Originally Posted by chrIS250
wrong. i special ordered mine through the dealer and it took 4 months from placing the order to picking it up.

there was no way in hell i was going to find 6 speed with only nav in SGM (as in no other option/package) anywhere on the east coast. so i had to special order and now i have no regrets.
I actually saw a 2008 IS250 6MT in SGM with Navi only at two dealerships(rockville and silver spring) when I was trying to place a special order for a 2009 model this past summer. I visited like 4 dealerships in our area and apparently most of the 6MT models started to appear with Navi for late 2008's models. I was surprised myself but they did exist In general it's very uncommon to see a 6MT, even more rare to see one with navi.
Old 01-19-09, 04:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely untrue.

Mine has ML without nav for example. They don't make those at all other than special orders.