IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RWD and AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 01:31 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
you are 100% correct but the thing is we live in a market where not many IS350, regardless of pkg, are allocated. We are flooded with the 250 AWD and the belief that the AWD will be the miracle when it snows I travel the state for work and I mainly see 250 rwd and an occasional awd...its rare I see a 350 anywhere. Even when I go to the gym there are about 5 different 250's and not one are AWD. Not to say they do not have other cars or a winter vehicle? I guess I just havent been at the right place and time to catch them. I do see a lot of the GS350 AWD and the RX all over the place.

when are you going to make it to a meet?? I wont be there this weekend but they have about 60+ cars going this saturday! check it out
This saturday's meet at Busse woods is going to be a tough one for me. I might be able to stop by but to be honest, it is low on the priority list compared to the other stuff I got going on.
Old 06-26-08, 01:42 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to back-up Mike (Passnu2) about tire swap for RWD. I drove my gen1 RWD in the worst snow during my 4 years of ownership. I really wanted the AWD and it really was amazing in this past winter (especially when I dumped the OEM Dunlops and swapped to the Continental Extreme Contact). If you have either a 250 or 350, you will be fine with using Blizzaks, or Continental Extreme Contact. My good buddu introduced these to me several years back when he drove his 2002 M3 year round. I had gone through two sets on my daily driver and was fine. Personally, I like the feel of RWD better. On the flipside, Lexus did a great job with making the AWD 250 not feel heavy compared to many AWD vehicles. I personally would keep your your RWD and simply buy tires as the roads are cleared generally fast in the midwest and you will take a loss at trade.
Old 06-26-08, 02:19 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

you won't need it but if you want it, i'd say go for it. i have an awd and it works fine even in thick snow (we had like 20 inches of snow here this past winter in 1 night), the all seasons plus the awd work great. those snow tires would be even better. just remember, the awd will help you get off the line better (though snow tires work fine with rwd) and give you some extra stability in the turns but a common mistake is that it'll help you brake. just because you might be able to go a little faster doesn't mean you can stop faster. your tires, brakes and contact patches handle that. just a heads up.
Old 06-26-08, 09:39 PM
m_shockers
Driver

Hey guys,

I am now considering to just get myself a set of Blizzarks for the winter there. Got too many mods on my car already, such a hussle to convert them to a new car. I am thinking of getting these tires on the stock wheels as i had my T1S for the non winter seasons. What size of tires you think i should be getting? I have a tein s drop btw. Thanks
Old 06-27-08, 06:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by m_shockers
Hey guys,

I am now considering to just get myself a set of Blizzarks for the winter there. Got too many mods on my car already, such a hussle to convert them to a new car. I am thinking of getting these tires on the stock wheels as i had my T1S for the non winter seasons. What size of tires you think i should be getting? I have a tein s drop btw. Thanks
IMO you have 2 options here. Use the OEM rims and just go with the same tire size as OEM for the winter tires. I did not have summer rims when I got snow tires so I had a set of 17" rims with snow tires. I sold mine of to another member that was moving to Colorado at the end of last season.

Check Discount Tire or Tire Rack and you will find something that works.
Old 06-27-08, 06:51 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

I looked into this a lot when I bought my winter set last year.

I wanted to maintain as much of the "normal" handling characteristics of my factory tires. So I decided to get a winter wheel set that was the same size and speed rating as the OEM 17's. I also ponied up for an extra set of TPM sensors.

Some of the snow tires have very low speed ratings 80mph vs. 130mph etc... Most people don't go that fast anyway but the speed rating also effects the overall driving characteristics of the tire.

My to cents, Damm, isn't it too early for a snow tire thread!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-08, 08:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaugster

My to cents, Damm, isn't it too early for a snow tire thread!!!!!!!!!!!
yea lest get off this SNOW topic and close this bad boy out we are just jinxing our self's here.

Old 06-28-08, 09:17 AM
eusjmp
Driver School Candidate

I live in Denver and have the IS AWD. Get yours with AWD, not RWD. It makes a huge difference in the snow.