IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has the list price on parts increased recently, or is my dealer getting greedy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 10:21 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Has the list price on parts increased recently, or is my dealer getting greedy?

Figured I'd do my 30k service, and headed over to the local dealership to pick up parts. I've bought parts from this dealership many times in the past, and never been charged more than list, so I didn't even bother checking until I got home.

I was charged:
Oil filter (04152-YZZA3) 8.86 (list price is 5.41)
Gasket (90430-12031) 2.21 (list price is 1.05)
Air filter (17801-31110) 21.64 (list price is 18.00)
Pollen filter (87139-07010) 42.56 (list price is 32.40)

Grand total of 18.41 over list.

I also got a pair of wiper inserts (85214-53080 and 85214-06130) which list for a combined total of 12.87, but those I got for free because they either threw them in or forgot to ring them up.

Subtracting off the list price of inserts, I paid a total of $5.54 over the list for my order. (Needless to say I could have saved more than that by patronizing one of our Club Lexus sponsors, but I wanted to do the work this weekend)

In the dealership came out the loser, since they lost a heck of a lot more than $5.54 in customer good will.
Old 06-07-08, 10:29 AM
Eddiebx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out of curiosity, what is that gasket you purchase? i thought it comes with the filter? when I open my filter box, it has the large o-ring already. is there an additional one that i need?
Old 06-07-08, 10:30 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ I dont know about your area but I know that the Lexus/Acura dealers my buddy's family owns are down 20%. Interesting that the Honda dealer is doing better and sales are up? I guess everyone getting out of there higher priced cars is getting Honda and a few other places more business. I would be curious to see what they are local to me. I need to do this on my car also so I will post a comparo as to what they charge me.

I assume you installed these all yourself?

I guess its possible also for prices to have gone up! I think we are all in for a rude awaking really soon here...
Old 06-07-08, 10:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Eddiebx
out of curiosity, what is that gasket you purchase? i thought it comes with the filter? when I open my filter box, it has the large o-ring already. is there an additional one that i need?
It's not for the filter, it's for the oil drain bolt. Technically you are supposed to replace it each time you drain the oil, though I suspect a lot of people don't bother.
Old 06-07-08, 10:37 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well... i do think everything everywhere in every store for anything you buy, the prices are going up due to the price of oil... you guys think that cuz i live in hawaii its paradise, bikinis 360ish days a yr... well that part is good BUT everything that comes here is shipped so everything from Spam to... umm... Spam is going up in price
Old 06-07-08, 10:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
you guys think that cuz i live in hawaii its paradise, bikinis 360ish days a yr...
this was the only part I read

I hear you!! Its not good anywhere but worse in some areas. I had three close firends loose their jobs this past week all in sales, different industries, and top producers. Another guy I know his whole place shut down....My previous industry both places shut down through an email I fear where this is headed for all of us
Old 06-07-08, 10:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by passnu2
^^ I dont know about your area but I know that the Lexus/Acura dealers my buddy's family owns are down 20%. Interesting that the Honda dealer is doing better and sales are up? I guess everyone getting out of there higher priced cars is getting Honda and a few other places more business. I would be curious to see what they are local to me. I need to do this on my car also so I will post a comparo as to what they charge me.
I don't know how their business is doing in this economy, but they aren't going to keep ME as a customer by charging more than MSRP.

I assume you installed these all yourself?
I will. It's 95 degrees and humid outside, so I decided to sit in the A/C and **** and moan instead of doing the work.

I guess its possible also for prices to have gone up! I think we are all in for a rude awaking really soon here...
If the prices have really gone up I owe them an apology. If not, the nickel and diming is not appreciated, and could cost them referrals and my future business.
Old 06-07-08, 11:08 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

i would assume the rates are going up but dependent on the dealer's call since list price is pretty much an MSRP. in any case with the rise of gas prices, it results in higher transportation costs and with the value of the dollar decreasing, it only makes it worse.

economically we are depreciating. i feel we're becoming more european at this rate with the transgression to smaller, more economical vehicles. but i think there will be a cut off point eventually. even though gas prices are going up, i doubt we'd ever surpass prices in europe since we're one of, if not THE largest oil users in the world. and once it settles down, i think the economy will go back up slightly.

i had a friend in iceland telling us about gas. they pay $11/gallon for gas and this was back when we paid around $2/gallon.
Old 06-07-08, 11:10 AM
Eddiebx
Driver

ah that makes sense, what size is it would you happen to know? I have a ton of them laying aroud for hondas, i;m assuming its your standard aluminum crush washer?

but from what i remember my dad's toyota was a few mm smaller, so i guess this might be the case with the 350 as well. I guess i will find out soon
Old 06-07-08, 01:19 PM
maxnix
Driver

One needs to understand the only two real profit centers in a new car dealership are parts and used cars. Many dealers cahrge over suggested MSRP to walk in non shop trade.
Old 06-07-08, 01:24 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bichon,

This is upsetting to hear. This almost happened to me with Nissan parts department 10 years ago at one dealer. I reminded them about MSRP and they quickly recanted. I never did get a clear answer for them playing pricing games with the supposed set established pricing.
Old 06-07-08, 02:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
Bichon,

This is upsetting to hear. This almost happened to me with Nissan parts department 10 years ago at one dealer. I reminded them about MSRP and they quickly recanted. I never did get a clear answer for them playing pricing games with the supposed set established pricing.
Never forget what the 'S' means in MSRP: SUGGESTED. The dealer can charge more if his market will bear it. Most people wouldn't realize it, nor would they care if it was convenient. (In this case you paid for your lack of proper advance planning by not getting the stuff from an online dealer. You paid the 'convenience' charge.) We can all moan and condemn it, but if we get the parts at discount we don't feel sorry for the dealer who makes less money on the transaction than if he sold at MSRP. Just move on to another dealer is the solution. But I wouldn't be too upset about it. It is capitalism at work.

Bichon, you don't seem too upset at possibly getting your wiper inserts for FREE by mistake. Seems the right thing would have been to question their pricing on the items you paid for, AND inform them of the no charge on the wipers.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-07-08 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 02:16 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Never forget what the 'S' means in MSRP: SUGGESTED. The dealer can charge more if his market will bear it. Most people wouldn't realize it, nor would they care if it was convenient. We can all moan and condemn it, but if we get the parts at discount we don't feel sorry for the dealer who makes less money on the transaction than if he sold at MSRP. Just move on to another dealer is the solution. But I wouldn't be too upset about it. It is capitalism at work.

Bichon, you don't seem too upset at possibly getting your wiper inserts for FREE by mistake. Seems the right thing would have been to question their pricing on the items you paid for, AND inform them of the no charge on the wipers.
I guess the bottom line to all of this is a potential increase in part prices possibly due in part to the present state of our economy. I hope this is not a developing trend.
Old 06-07-08, 11:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

I don't buy parts locally just for this reason. A $5.47 part was $8.11. They lost me forever with that. I went to the local Toyco dealer for some Scion stuff and had to remind them of MSRP. They gave it to me at MSRP, but I had to ask for it or they were going to rape me again.
Old 06-08-08, 12:32 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

omg. this happen to me recently. i went to go buy some parts from my local Stevens Creek Lexus for parts. The parts guy not only messed up my special order, but charged me a total of $30 over list price. I was so desperate for the parts that i just paid for it.. and realized i was over charged until i got home.

I was expecting to pay at about $50 but ended up paying nearly $80.

Quick Reply: Has the list price on parts increased recently, or is my dealer getting greedy?