IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY HID Fog Light Install with photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 07:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation DIY HID Fog Light Install with photos

Many thanks to Brian231 for his help today. This is the kit that is offered from our vendor Cliff and you can PM him at cliffud about the kit for any questions. I do have a bad ballast that I am going to hit up Cliff for a replacement. Had one light that would flicker on then wouldn't fire up 100% then go out. We swapped the bulbs to make sure it wasn't a bad bulb but come to find out its the ballast. Its a very nice kit and well packaged. You can see below just how easy the install is and you do not need to remove the front bumper for this. Install time approx 1 hour. Enjoy!

First lift the front of the car and put jacks on both sides and remove the front rims. Pretty easy and self explanatory!

Next you are going to remove the plastic fender/wheel liner by remove all the bolts and the clips that are on one half only! You will see where there is a crease about half way up. You will also need to remove the bolt that holds on the front lip (its next to another plastic clip). With all these removed you can move to the next step!

After you have the liner pulled out from the fender you can remove the stock fog light and unplug the connector. Just turn and pull out to remove. I kept mine by placing them in the box the HID kit was shipped in so I can install them back in when I am ready to sell the car or to have as a back up.

Next remove the plastic covers that run around the engine bay. Simply remove the clips on all 3 pieces. I used a small screwdriver to help pry them out then pull them up! On the 2 side pieces there is a screw (Phillips) that is close to the engine and set down a little farther. Just loosen, but be careful as its plastic so too much force and you can ruin then. Now you can remove the covers. The front overlaps the 2 sides so take off the front first. This will now allow you to run the wires and zip tie them securely and also allow them to be hidden when the covers are installed back into place!

Now you can run the wires....
On the driver side running the wires down we used the same hole that the washer fill tube uses. Take your time and feed it threw. This is where 2 people will make it easier to pass it threw. We also found out for some reason that we had to run both wires to the drive side for them to work. You will connect only on one side to the OEM connector.

On the passenger side we ran the wire under the air box and we did remove this to make it easier. We looked for a pass threw in that corner but no luck so we ran it under the air box and then directly to the fender liner and passed it threw. On this side you are just running the lead for the ballast and this is your shorter lead wire since its closest to the battery! Now that we had both wires run we mounted the ballast on one side only but you will get the idea.

Mounting the ballast we found that you can attach it to the Fog Light housing! Its the perfect shape and size! We simply used the Zip Ties that are included in the kit. We attached 3 Zip Ties together since they where not long enough. Please see the pic of this part! We also Zip Tied the wire to the harness in the compartment for extra help to hold it in place!

After you have the ballast mounted make sure on the passenger side to cover the OEM harness that plugs into the OEM fog light. We tapped it up and zip tied it in place to keep moisture from getting into it!
Old 05-17-08, 07:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Next we installed the wires under the hood. We ran the wires from the driver side along the fire wall and used the zip ties in a few spots to secure it.

Next attach the positive lead to the to the battery...

Next you can install the Negative lead to the batter as I did or to the car. Either I am sure will work but make sure you get a good ground from the car. I may move mine as the wires are pretty snug with them both attached to the battery.

Next make sure all is working. If everything checks out okay simply install everything back to together. This is a really easy install and I can't wait for the other ballast so I can test them out at night! Just seeing the one light fired up looked much better and very bright. The lights are 5k in case anyone wants to know. Will post more pics when I have the last Ballast installed and fired up!

Hope this is of help to everyone!
Mike
Old 05-17-08, 07:31 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Just wanted to say that I got a PM back with in seconds from Cliff to replace out the bad ballast! Our vendors on here are so great to work with!

Those that are looking make sure you give him an opportunity!!!

Thanks again Cliff!

Mike
Old 05-17-08, 07:36 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. seems like a lot of work! I really want my 3000k hid but then it seems like a b*tch to install. not all HID need to connect to the battery right?
Old 05-17-08, 07:53 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks great write up!
Old 05-17-08, 08:16 PM
StickyIcky
Driver School Candidate

sorry to hear about the kit i sold you, it was totally brand new.

good to hear cliff will take care of everything. he is a top notch vendor with great customer service.

MOBILE HID FTW !!!
Old 05-17-08, 09:07 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job man....I seriously was just searching on how people relay their HIDs from the fogs to the battery and now you explained it. I have a few questions if you could answer them please.

1) did you disconnect the battery when you installed this?
2) I thought the black wire was ground and doesn't have to go to the negative of the battery?
3) so if I'm getting this right...to the driver's side the wire goes through the washer fluid area and to get to the passengers side just remove the airbox?

Thanks!!
Old 05-17-08, 09:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokyis350
wow. seems like a lot of work! I really want my 3000k hid but then it seems like a b*tch to install. not all HID need to connect to the battery right?
I think some do not require this and a few members have installed it differently. Its best to PM Cliff about that as I am not to sure about how this stuff works. I have never installed HID in a car before as the lights where bright enough for me. This I know is the recommended way to install and it was with the kit I got.
Old 05-17-08, 09:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iskcon
good job man....I seriously was just searching on how people relay their HIDs from the fogs to the battery and now you explained it. I have a few questions if you could answer them please.

1) did you disconnect the battery when you installed this?
2) I thought the black wire was ground and doesn't have to go to the negative of the battery?
3) so if I'm getting this right...to the driver's side the wire goes through the washer fluid area and to get to the passengers side just remove the airbox?

Thanks!!
1. Yes
2. Yes you can probably ground somewhere else. I plan to try to move it closer to the air box and ground it to the car if I can get a good enough ground point.
3. yes it passes threw the same hole as the washer fluid. there is just enough room to pass it threw. on the passenger side the wire runs under the air box but there is NO hole in that corner to pass it threw. so it goes under the air box then just past the metal support where the snorkel attaches the metal ends. we ran it that way and under the metal and straight threw into the fender area. It was helpful to have Brian pass it threw up top while I had my hand threw the plastic liner and it wasn't that far in. You could carefully use a coat hanger or something similar to pass it threw.

This is probably a 30 min install but with the pics and us chatting and the extra time we spent to figure out the ballast and switching everything was most of the time.
Old 05-17-08, 09:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by StickyIcky
sorry to hear about the kit i sold you, it was totally brand new.

good to hear cliff will take care of everything. he is a top notch vendor with great customer service.

MOBILE HID FTW !!!
No worries! not your fault Cliff was awesome to deal with and I am sending it back to him on Monday for replacement. What where the other lights in the bag for? are they from Cliff also? PM me please when you get a chance!

Thanks again for taking care of so quickly for me. It will take minutes to install the ballast when I get it.
Old 05-18-08, 08:35 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks passnu2
Old 05-18-08, 08:47 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

okay this might be a dumb question but im about to do the same and.. do you have to connect it to the battery?

On this DIY you dont have to run any wires to the battery.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318309
Old 05-18-08, 08:57 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

yea thanks a lot, this is really going to help me when i attempt my HID fog install.
Old 05-18-08, 09:37 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iKenn
okay this might be a dumb question but im about to do the same and.. do you have to connect it to the battery?

On this DIY you dont have to run any wires to the battery.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318309
From my understanding, depending on what type of kit you bought, no you don't HAVE TO connect the kit to the battery via relay harness. However, it is recommended that you do that so you can get enough power and not overload. Also, this may eliminate possibilites of dimness, flickering, etc. But from what I know, there are many people who have simply connected the kit to the OEM socket and not to the battery and have had no problems.
Old 05-18-08, 03:37 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the other ballast arrives, Passnu2 and I will post pics of how awesome this looks in the fogs. I cannot wait to see them at night from an interior perspective on the road. This is a fun mod to do and other CL members should not become discouraged.

Quick Reply: DIY HID Fog Light Install with photos