IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adjusting puddle light proximity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 11:52 PM
LexyIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting puddle light proximity?

I was wondering is there a way to adjust the range of when the puddle light will turn on? I know it will light up if I use the keyless remote from a distance. But it also lights up if you just walk up to it. Mine seems to come on only when I'm very close to the door making it almost pointless, unless that's the way it's suppose to be.
Old 12-04-07, 04:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexyIS350
I was wondering is there a way to adjust the range of when the puddle light will turn on? I know it will light up if I use the keyless remote from a distance. But it also lights up if you just walk up to it. Mine seems to come on only when I'm very close to the door making it almost pointless, unless that's the way it's suppose to be.
I have the same problem. Even if I stop a few feet away from the car waiting, it won't light until I have practically grabbed the door handle. It's not a battery issue--it's always functioned this way. I've never seen anything that says the sensitivity is adjustable--I'd love it if it is.
Old 12-04-07, 08:31 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it works off the same sensor that senses your keyless device as you approach the door to unlock it. The range is limited. Not sure of it's adjustable. I'll ask when I go in for my 5k service.
Old 12-04-07, 09:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not. Lexus TSIB EL015-06 shows the detection areas if you're curious where they're supposed to cover exactly.
Old 12-04-07, 10:05 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its goes off too soon too. I want it to stay on longer.
Old 12-04-07, 01:40 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's not. Lexus TSIB EL015-06 shows the detection areas if you're curious where they're supposed to cover exactly.
I wish mine would turn on from further away too. TSIB? Does that mean there's a problem with it? Can you attach the TSIB to the thread?
Old 12-04-07, 02:28 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want them to turn on from far away just hit your car unlock button. that's what I do when trying to spot my car in a parking lot.

You can't adjust how long they stay on though or where they sense you.

Mine are totally random, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Old 12-04-07, 02:44 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
If you want them to turn on from far away just hit your car unlock button. that's what I do when trying to spot my car in a parking lot.

You can't adjust how long they stay on though or where they sense you.

Mine are totally random, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Yeah, but the whole point of having an advanced keyless system is so you don't have to reach for the remote and press the unlock button.

That being said, the further away, the more likely it is for someone to be able to hack the frequency and the rolling codes. There's a finite set of codes generated by a certain algorithm, so the chances of someone breaking in to your car by duping your key gets higher. I think they keep the proximity close to try to prevent that as much as possible. That's probably why the proximity sensor only detects up to a few feet at most. Since this is an active system (without enough battery power in the key, the sensor can't tell the key is there), it seems like there's a call/response setup in place.

Just thinking about that made me realize that the problem is probably not with the sensors on the car, but rather how far the key can transmit a response based on how much power it can draw from the battery.
Old 12-04-07, 07:39 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

well the range on the locking of the door on the car is pretty far... seems to be 50-60ft.... if it was possible to make it operate farther distance you would drain your key battery much faster...and many other devices might pick up your key's signals...
Old 12-04-07, 10:35 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by inxexisten
well the range on the locking of the door on the car is pretty far... seems to be 50-60ft.... if it was possible to make it operate farther distance you would drain your key battery much faster...and many other devices might pick up your key's signals...
I think locking takes a different path as it's the key that's sending a broad, nondirectional signal first. Hmm.... maybe the sensors themselves have a limited range. If it's only limited by software, then that's easy to correct by programming the computer to put more juice into the sensors, thereby increasing the range. If it's limited by hardware, then we're SOL.