Confused About Lighting :-/

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 06:31 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused About Lighting :-/

OK, so I'm thoroughly confused:

The 2007 MY IS (not sure about 06) lists bi-xenon HID headlights with AFS. So both the high and low beams are HID. This means the DRLs aren't high-beams running at half wattage, right? So what are they? And do I get to replace them with something sweet?
Old 11-14-06, 06:55 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no that dosen't mean both high and low are HIDs just the low beam still... when you turn the high beam on the low beam will adjust the high so that you will have more light on the road...

correct me if I wrong
Old 11-14-06, 06:59 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Bi-xenon headlamps use a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam. The full light output is used to produce the high beam, while the low beam is formed by moving a shutter between the bulb and the lens, thus blocking off a portion of the light. Got this off the landrover site, but I was looking at my 06 window sticker and all it says is HID W/ AFS so I wonder if the changed the headlights in between years.
Old 11-14-06, 07:39 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

The website says bi-xenon, but the quote sheet the dealer gave me just says HID w/ AFS...but I'm tempted to trust the website over the quote sheet, since it also has other shorthand notations for things. When you click on it, Lexus' little "glossary" app pops up and it sounds like it was a change, because it says it now allows the high and low beams to turn with the vehicle via AFS.

This also means to retain functionality, do I/we need bi-xenon aftermarket bulbs if we change colors?
Old 11-14-06, 08:06 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irishman06
The website says bi-xenon, but the quote sheet the dealer gave me just says HID w/ AFS...but I'm tempted to trust the website over the quote sheet, since it also has other shorthand notations for things. When you click on it, Lexus' little "glossary" app pops up and it sounds like it was a change, because it says it now allows the high and low beams to turn with the vehicle via AFS.

This also means to retain functionality, do I/we need bi-xenon aftermarket bulbs if we change colors?
no just normal D4S for the HID and H7 for the high beam
Old 11-14-06, 08:19 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

I just finished reading the lexus site and what it is, is the outside light is the bi-xenon so it does both the low and high beams and the inside lights are the DRL's
Old 11-14-06, 09:26 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

The bi-xenon system does use the single HID bulb for both the high and low beams. TheNewGuy is pretty spot on with his description of the system - think of it as a "shade" that drops over the light pattern when you have your normal headlights on. When you engage the high beams, the shade retracts and allows a broader light pattern. However, the DRL system is still wired the same was as it is in non-HID cars - as a "dimmed high beam," as the service manual states. You can switch it out to another bulb if you like, but it will still look dull, yellow, and crappy... Hope this helps!

Javier
Old 11-14-06, 09:34 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it has bi-xenons AND 9005 high beams. so when you turn on your high beams, a shroud in your hid's move up and the inner 9005 high beams light up too. have a friend flash the high beams while you stand in front of the car and look. you can also hear the shroud move up n down when you flash the high beams.
Old 11-14-06, 10:00 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

OK, so the 9005s light up at half juice, and the HIDs pop all the way open? Isn't this way too much light output? Can you run HIDs at half power without damaging them?

also, who says we can't rewire the DRLs ?
Old 11-15-06, 05:59 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

the HID's dont run at 1/2 power they have a shutter. Think of it this way, turn on a flashlight and put a piece of paper about an inch infront of it, the flashlight is still at full power but the visible light is reduced. That is kind of a simple way to put how the bi-xenon lights work.
Old 11-15-06, 06:10 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want the REAL DEAL, you guys would be amazed at the bulbs I thought about bringing here to the states...

the bulb shade doesn't move... the actual bulb MOVES! it shifts out and retracts in depending on which beam the light is supposed to be show.

It's the best of both worlds - HID all the time - even when you hit your high beams... zero wait time for the high beams to warm up since it's the same bulb and proper light distribution since the gas capsule actually moves to where the filament is supposed to be instead of just moving a metal shield...

the only problem is that they cost $600 for a kit.
Old 11-15-06, 06:57 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
the HID's dont run at 1/2 power they have a shutter. Think of it this way, turn on a flashlight and put a piece of paper about an inch infront of it, the flashlight is still at full power but the visible light is reduced. That is kind of a simple way to put how the bi-xenon lights work.
so this means that the HID portion of the DRLs are the same color temp right? color temp is independent of light output, isn't it? and this sort of a shutter would only reduce light output.

maybe i'll just simplify this whole thing and get angel eyes and disable the DRLs...
Old 11-15-06, 07:08 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

If I am right, and more than likely I'm not, the inside lights are not HID they are STD halogen so they can run at half power, but when you turn on your lights they run at full PWR. But like you said earlier you might beable to rewire the inside light to run a full PWR all the time, which in that case you could feasably change them out with LED's or something with a diff color.
Old 11-15-06, 07:38 PM
eddo1
Driver

Ok, now you guys got me confused. So on an 06 IS350, if I have the low beam HIDs on and I pull the stalk backwards, the HID shade will move AND the 9005 bulbs will be at full power? And if I have the HIDs off during the day and I pull the stalk back then ONLY the 9005 bulbs will flash right?
Old 11-15-06, 07:43 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

you know what I have never looked.