IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer made ~$4K error in my favor??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 03:34 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by skingsland
I care far more about being lied to than the $200 cost of the package.
Apparently.

They may say they ordered the car you want at the mistaken price, but it may never "come in". So are you better off? No! All you'll have is a piece paper with a price.
Old 12-05-05, 05:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skingsland, i think you need to read this "order" that you signed a little closer. You'll find that it is not really binding and there are a thousand ways you can cancel that order. Everything from failure to deliver to price changes on either the car or the accessories to how, when, and if your deposit is refundable. It's all clearly spelled out and it's easy to read and understand (not in legal lingo).

This "order" is executed when the dealer accepts it and when you make payment. Until that happens, nothing, absolutely nothing counts. No error has been made until you have the car, when you have the car in your possession legally as the owner and the numbers don't work, then an error has been made.

All contracts can be legally corrected for error. Just like you would want a math error to be corrected for you in your favour, the dealer has a right to seek adjusment to a good-faith error that was adverse to them. The dealership's attitude does not enter into whether the error is good-faith or not....usually.

If you know there is an error, I say you are totally wasting your time trying to "go for it" and see how far you can get. Too many people looking at the paperwork, either the error is discovered before sale or even months after the sale. Either way you are subject to possible legal action. IMO, you should spare yourself the pain of dealing with a situation....I once had problems with a dealership and I could never ever go back there ever again. Not that it really matter but it was unfortunate.
Old 12-06-05, 12:44 PM
skingsland
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've thought about it -- I agree with you guys. It's not worth the hassle, they're far better at getting out of a mistake than I am at holding them to a price. And they've got almost complete control of the situation: when they order it, how they order it, when they give me my VIN, when they tell me it's arrived. If I was driving it off the lot, it would be a different situation; but I think for special ordering a car I want to deal with someone I trust. Plus, the thought of giving that guy a commission kinda makes me sick. Also I'd hate to wait until March/April, only to find out I have to go through the whole ordering process over again and wait another 4 months!!

Thanks for your input, folks. I'll let you know when I finally place my order.
Old 02-03-06, 09:11 AM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
so if you special order you don't have to get it. The regularly allocated cars will all have it added however so he is half right. Other interesting options to consider in the future are the G1 ground effects kit @$1500. The HKS dual sport exhaust ( price to be determined code EX ) and the rear lip spoiler @ $355 (LR) P2 is the Sirius tuner and P7 is the XM which if installed by Lexus at the port will cost $486. Expect to pay double that if the dealer installs it which is mostly labor cost.

Rock
Can the XM radio be installed at the Lexus factory or is it a dealer option only?
Old 02-03-06, 10:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsardar
Can the XM radio be installed at the Lexus factory or is it a dealer option only?
At the dealer or port only. Not a factory option this model year.
Old 02-03-06, 10:38 AM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
At the dealer or port only. Not a factory option this model year.
I am sorry to ask this dumb question, but what do you mean by port only?
Old 02-03-06, 10:44 AM
charlesmsn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skingsland
But at the same time, he kept getting my name wrong (happened at least 4 times). So he'd say "well Chris, if you can't learn to trust us I don't think we're going to be able to do business." Me: "my name's not Chris."
lol. does he seem more interested in the sale or the customer... hmm....
Old 02-03-06, 11:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsardar
I am sorry to ask this dumb question, but what do you mean by port only?
Lexus ships the car from Japan by boat. The area where the cars are held when they come off the ship and before they go on the truck for delivery to your dealer is called the "port". The port is responsible for getting the car ready to go to the dealer, e.g., putting owners manuals in the car, etc. They can also install some options like rear spoilers and satellite radio.