IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 - What would cause this dangerous behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 05:26 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its all good bro, have you figured out what is up? seems like a really weird problem
Old 05-02-12, 12:53 PM
LucciLou
Driver

new tires & alignment....yet problem persists swaying is becoming much more pulling from the front right dragging like sparadically (mispelt) in segments u can feel the wheel being pulled the swaying on the highway is more dangerous then what i think is the truth u cant hear it on the highway u can only hear it during low speeds in a parking lot the most sounds like a warped rotor...smh fml
Old 05-02-12, 01:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LucciLou
new tires & alignment....yet problem persists swaying is becoming much more pulling from the front right dragging like sparadically (mispelt) in segments u can feel the wheel being pulled the swaying on the highway is more dangerous then what i think is the truth u cant hear it on the highway u can only hear it during low speeds in a parking lot the most sounds like a warped rotor...smh fml
Post your alignment specs...

low speeds parking lot? wheel bearing perhaps? stuck caliper?
Old 05-02-12, 01:37 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Question IDK smh fml

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Post your alignment specs...

low speeds parking lot? wheel bearing perhaps? stuck caliper?
hmm ok i will ill probably be taking it to get another alignment soon.....my dude it felt good for a day if that now it feels like i never got an alignment in the first place half the time its straight as an arrow then the other half the steering wheel is shaking like its having a seizure....low speeds parking lot sounds like a warped rotor....a loud nasty wheww wheww coming from the front right....u cant even hear the car its so loud sometimes.....i have a feeling it cant be the wheel bearing when i replaced the ball joint it helped a little bit but when i replaced the ball joint it came with a whole new spindle so essentially new wheel bearing issue continued replaced that wheel bearing cuz thats what everyone had been saying it might be need less to say it didnt help at all at all......caliper could be stuck my lazy *** still hasnt checked to be honest dont think its that either the problem started out small little noise little difference in handling/feeling in the steering wheel and now is just like damn wtf u can hear the sound now louder then ever and the feeling in the steering wheel sheet u now something is definitely wrong when all of a sudden u pull to the right and start swaying a little bit going high speeds on a highway and that happening kinda is dangerous then hearing that damn noise going slow eww omfg its driving me mad and spending all this money to figure it out and not figuring it out is driving me to the edge of insanity....then when u try to explain it to ppl they look at u like u need to be in a mental institution & u freakin kno there is something wrong i know my car i feel my car and i know and feel my car aint riding right....fact not fiction..idk man once again smh fml
Old 05-02-12, 02:00 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mentioned the bushings for your steering rack, front lower No. 1 lower control arm, and the No. 2 lower control arm back on post #5. I don't remember if you had these inspected or not. If you can see through the bushings like this, replace them.

No. 2 LCA pictured
Old 05-03-12, 03:17 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LucciLou
hmm ok i will ill probably be taking it to get another alignment soon.....my dude it felt good for a day if that now it feels like i never got an alignment in the first place half the time its straight as an arrow then the other half the steering wheel is shaking like its having a seizure....low speeds parking lot sounds like a warped rotor....a loud nasty wheww wheww coming from the front right....u cant even hear the car its so loud sometimes.....i have a feeling it cant be the wheel bearing when i replaced the ball joint it helped a little bit but when i replaced the ball joint it came with a whole new spindle so essentially new wheel bearing issue continued replaced that wheel bearing cuz thats what everyone had been saying it might be need less to say it didnt help at all at all......caliper could be stuck my lazy *** still hasnt checked to be honest dont think its that either the problem started out small little noise little difference in handling/feeling in the steering wheel and now is just like damn wtf u can hear the sound now louder then ever and the feeling in the steering wheel sheet u now something is definitely wrong when all of a sudden u pull to the right and start swaying a little bit going high speeds on a highway and that happening kinda is dangerous then hearing that damn noise going slow eww omfg its driving me mad and spending all this money to figure it out and not figuring it out is driving me to the edge of insanity....then when u try to explain it to ppl they look at u like u need to be in a mental institution & u freakin kno there is something wrong i know my car i feel my car and i know and feel my car aint riding right....fact not fiction..idk man once again smh fml
Your problem is much worse than mine. I hope you get it figured out before it becomes worse.

I haven't had the time to do anything with my car...
Old 05-26-12, 05:58 PM
LucciLou
Driver

i havent had the time either or money.....smh this **** sux...lmao wtf u gonna do though right ill figure it out eventually as soon as i know anything at all ill post...
Old 05-30-12, 05:07 PM
bukben
Driver School Candidate

If your car is equip with LSD that's the problem ... time to start looking for a rear diff.
Old 05-30-12, 05:16 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bukben
If your car is equip with LSD that's the problem ... time to start looking for a rear diff.
Care to elaborate on that comment? I know our Torsen LSD acts as an open diff until it recognizes a loss of traction.

LucciLou, have you checked the bushings on your front #1 AND #2 lower control arms? Forgive me if you already replied, but I don't remember seeing a response to that question?
Old 05-30-12, 06:35 PM
Dori562
Driver School Candidate

maybe need an alignment or check you tire pressure if its really low it will pull to one side
Old 10-01-12, 02:10 PM
sdimick
Driver School Candidate

My car is doing this same thing. Any update on if you got it fixed? My IS has 140k miles on stock bushings and struts.
Old 10-07-12, 01:22 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Mitsuguy is right on how to check the ball joints. i doubt that's the issue, but worth checking

2. all of the posts about the bushings are right but it's not common to cause a problem on the IS as bad as you are describing it.

3. Tires do really funny things with steering and stability. If you happen to have your original wheels and tires, you might wanna try putting them on to see if there's a difference. may not be the problem, but it's a free thing to check

4. My best guess at what's happening is there is something loose. I've seen stuff like this happen many times when an alignment eccentric lobe lock nut is left......well not loose......just not tight enough to keep the arm from moving. the arm will be able to move a small amount in that case. i would start by checking the rear toe adjustment lock nuts also check all four camber adjustment lock nuts. they should all be quite tight. use something longer than a regular box end wrench. just tighten everything.
Old 10-06-13, 10:27 AM
DoWatt
Driver School Candidate

I know that I am a year late to this post but would love to see if anyone has figured out what the problem is. I have an 02 IS300 that I've had since new now with 120K. I noticed this same problem years ago after I put the car in the ditch and did some decent damage to rear.

Since the accident the car goes straight down the road most of the time! It also wears the tires evenly. What I have found is if the rear tires are slightly at different pressure (around 3-4 PSI - when cold) the pulling to one direction during acceleration is very noticeable. If the rear tires are the same pressure the car does not pull to one direction or the other.(By the way it only pulls during acceleration then as soon as u are not accelerating it does not pull)

So I guess the rear tire pressure difference is the reason but I have never had another car do this with different pressures in the rear. Seems very odd to me that a few PSI could cause such a difference and the car didn't do this when new when the rears were at different PSI

I have since gone to coilovers, and front/rear stiffer sway bars not to fix the problem but for track days and not that I was expecting a fix but replacing these did nothing to fix the problem...

My car is a 5 speed with LSD.

I have wondered for years if it is the LSD causing the problem but would have no idea how to test/confirm this.

I don't think it is the ball joints or something loose - I have gone through checking different parts for years and everything "seems" okay. But I am not ruling out anything...

I am no certified mechanic but have built all kinds of cars for 25 years and also endurance race in ChumpCar (sorry not a Toyota but a Nissan, www.split5ways.com) (where we are always "playing" with "tricks" and mods etc.)
Old 10-06-13, 11:28 AM
is300nj
Driver School Candidate

put the car on a lift or jacks and inspect all the bushings and ball joints, can be ether one
Old 10-08-13, 06:27 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically I assume it's a bad axle. They wear and when you accelerate and the rear suspension, goes down, it causes the shaft to shorten and get into the warn spots. Pretty common on other car brands.