IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can steering be tightened?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 06:01 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can steering be tightened?

So it feels like my 18' is300 wanders within the lane on the highway...almost like it takes a lot of effort and attention to keep it perfectly in between the lines. The alignment is definitely good and not a problem. If anything it feels like maybe the steering is a bit loose or there is some 'extra play'. Curious if anyone has had their steering somehow tightened, not just an alignment. Also what do you guys keep your tire pressure at, I have mine set to the cold 36psi.
Old 04-08-19, 06:39 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

They're all like this. Search for RC-F bushing upgrade and you will get a lot of info.
Old 04-08-19, 10:19 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz1614
So it feels like my 18' is300 wanders within the lane on the highway...almost like it takes a lot of effort and attention to keep it perfectly in between the lines. The alignment is definitely good and not a problem. If anything it feels like maybe the steering is a bit loose or there is some 'extra play'. Curious if anyone has had their steering somehow tightened, not just an alignment. Also what do you guys keep your tire pressure at, I have mine set to the cold 36psi.
You need to install the RCF/GSF lower control arm bushings. Parts and labor is around $150-200. Will fix the wandering issue plus overall tighten up steering and reduce notorious inner tire wear problem.
Old 04-09-19, 08:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Nah. A tighter bushing would just make any reaction from road imperfections happen quicker. It would exaggerate such wandering.

First of all, when you say your alignment is "good," that doesn't say much. Being in the green doesn't necessarily mean it's "good."

Depends on the road you're driving on too. hard to say just from your post.

But if you wanted to mitigate such "wandering," all things being equal, you'd dial in some toe in relative to what you have now.

If you're toe'd in at max and you're still wandering, then it's the particular road you're on or just your perception on what such a car should feel like.

Sportier cars tend to be more sensitive to road undulations. In other words, it could be normal.

Depends on what you're experiencing and your definition.
Old 04-09-19, 08:53 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

And any adjustment of the "wheel" itself wouldn't be possible.

Would you may be referring to is an adjustment at the rack. But I believe these may be sealed electronic units that have no such mechanical adjustment. That would be my guess.
Old 04-09-19, 08:56 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Nah. A tighter bushing would just make any reaction from road imperfections happen quicker. It would exaggerate such wandering.

First of all, when you say your alignment is "good," that doesn't say much. Being in the green doesn't necessarily mean it's "good."

Depends on the road you're driving on too. hard to say just from your post.

But if you wanted to mitigate such "wandering," all things being equal, you'd dial in some toe in relative to what you have now.

If you're toe'd in at max and you're still wandering, then it's the particular road you're on or just your perception on what such a car should feel like.

Sportier cars tend to be more sensitive to road undulations. In other words, it could be normal.

Depends on what you're experiencing and your definition.
when I bough my IS the steering wandered so bad on uneven roads I thought my alignment was messed up. I installed the RCF bushings and my car no longer wanders at all. Drives straight as an arrow, never did an alignment.
Old 04-09-19, 08:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I don't see any adjustment as you would on older cars (not that you would go to the trouble of that) and you'd have to be extremely knowledegeable and precise in what you're doing. But here's a pic of the rack for s and giggles.

input gear, rubber isolaters, and electronic plug. lol.
Old 04-09-19, 08:58 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
when I bough my IS the steering wandered so bad on uneven roads I thought my alignment was messed up. I installed the RCF bushings and my car no longer wanders at all. Drives straight as an arrow, never did an alignment.
You could've just had worn out bushings and are essentially comparing worn out to new. Not stock to sport.

Brand new out of the box the car would not wander by design. My car drives "straight as an arrow" with stock bushings. Extremely firm and extremely straight. At high speed. No wandering.
Old 04-09-19, 09:10 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
You could've just had worn out bushings and are essentially comparing worn out to new. Not stock to sport.

Brand new out of the box the car would not wander by design. My car drives "straight as an arrow" with stock bushings. Extremely firm and extremely straight. At high speed. No wandering.
Mine behaves exactly the same way as what you described.
Old 04-09-19, 09:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I am suspecting the definition of the word wandering is different among drivers. If the car has sensitive steering, and you have to make constant corrections due to that, I would say that what's happening is not wandering. If the wheel is perfectly straight, and the car is moving around on its own, possibly moving the steering wheel in reaction to the road, that's wandering. Wandering is not because of your input.

That being said, I would expect a car with stiffer bushings to be more prone to wandering, since the deflection of the wheels will produce more of a reaction from the front end. If the bushings are softer, the wheels can deflect more without changing the steering angle, leading to less wandering.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.
Old 04-09-19, 12:43 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I come from a 370z Nismo and prior to that a WRX, so I am very use to aggressive suspensions and extremely tight steering. Based on what I’m reading about the RCF bushing on other threads it describes what I feel in my car. You never know though these roads in the north east do funny things to vehicles
Old 04-09-19, 01:34 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I would agree with what others have said about your car actually 'wandering'... I have an '18 350 and driving on the highway with bumps/potholes here and there at 80+ mph feels fine, without having to do much (if any) steering wheel correction to stay between the lanes. If your car pulls extreme in one direction or another, that'd a different conversation but I feel what you're probably describing is normal.
Old 04-09-19, 02:28 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

My Acura had a wondering type feeling and it was determined that a rear brake caliper was likely seizing (pads wearing at significantly different rate).
Old 04-09-19, 02:41 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
I second to this. The GSF/RCF bushing does exactly looks like the OEM, but I think the rubber is a bit harder though it never affects the ride quality.
Old 04-09-19, 03:14 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I second to this. The GSF/RCF bushing does exactly looks like the OEM, but I think the rubber is a bit harder though it never affects the ride quality.
Had mine installed today and I can attest that it feels no different in ride quality. Steering seems a little quicker to respond. Very worth while investment.

Quick Reply: Can steering be tightened?