IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 - What would cause this dangerous behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 11:06 AM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 - What would cause this dangerous behavior?

Hello, all.

2001 IS300. Bone stock other than 18" wheels. Just turned over 200,000 miles.

When I'm driving 60+mph, and I accelerate semi-aggressively, the car pulls to the right pretty noticeably. It's in sync with the front end rising. To be more specific, if I'm in 4th gear...give it some gas....the front end rises up...at the same time, the car pulls to the right. When I let off the gas, it pulls back to the left. It does not do this under braking. Only during accelerating and when the front end drops back down after letting off the gas.

Also, when I'm on the interstate running 70+mph, the car seems really unstable and overly sensitive to steering wheel movements. I feel that this can be dangerous.

I do not know if the steering wheel moves during this because I always counter steer to keep my car in the lane.

I'm assuming my alignment is in spec because I have no uneven tire wear, and the car drives straight while at a steady speed.

I have never kept OEM suspension on any car I've owned, so I'm not sure what could be causing this.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

-Allen
Old 04-15-12, 06:18 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

Well what that sounds to me is like a locked up ball joint. It sounds like similar problems I have experienced in other cars. i would say change ball joints or control arms have it re aligned and go from there. btw my name is Allen too not that it matters just funny lol
Old 04-15-12, 06:37 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

I will inspect them and go from there.

Thanks, Allen!

Haha
Old 04-15-12, 07:16 PM
altezzaguy
Pole Position

Sounds like it's your alignment man, did you hit any big pothole or curb or anything recently??
Old 04-15-12, 08:43 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, when you accelerate, the back end sinks down a little. If your shocks are blown, the back end might sink more than normal. If your bushings (No. 1 &2 LCA and steering rack) are worn, your alignment won't hold. Bad toe settings can make your car difficult to drive. Have you noticed any issues with any of your tires' sidewalls? If they aren't holding, they could cause your car to veer off. There may be one or multiple issues causing your problems. I would take it to a shop for an inspection. Definitely have those front No. 2 LCA bushings checked, and get an alignment. Let the alignment shop know that your steering wheel is off center. Good luck.
Old 04-16-12, 03:54 AM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

I have no uneven tire wear, the steering wheel is not off center. I'm going to check my bushings one day this week. I have hit a couple of pretty bad pot holes. One of them took out both passenger tires, but that was months ago. This problem just came up.
Old 04-16-12, 04:25 AM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a similar problem on myIS. One member accounted the pull under acceleration to uneven tire pressure. Here's a quote from another:
Originally Posted by METEORO
I had a similar problem after my front tires were replaced. My front tires were replaced by the dealer since they were wore out unevenly. The rear of the car would wiggle when going over expansion strips on the highway or going over, bridges. Also, if I had four adults in the car, the problem would get worse. As it turns out, having the tires in the rear with 10K and new ones in the front created the problem. I bought one new tire, and placed the spare on the other side. This way I had four new tires. The problem is gone. I guess the suspension geometry does not like having unevenly worn tires in the front and the rear.
Moral of the story, rotate, rotate and rotate the tires. I think following the recommended 5K interval is fine.
Old 04-18-12, 11:10 AM
LucciLou
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by Iam99x
Hello, all.

2001 IS300. Bone stock other than 18" wheels. Just turned over 200,000 miles.

When I'm driving 60+mph, and I accelerate semi-aggressively, the car pulls to the right pretty noticeably. It's in sync with the front end rising. To be more specific, if I'm in 4th gear...give it some gas....the front end rises up...at the same time, the car pulls to the right. When I let off the gas, it pulls back to the left. It does not do this under braking. Only during accelerating and when the front end drops back down after letting off the gas.

Also, when I'm on the interstate running 70+mph, the car seems really unstable and overly sensitive to steering wheel movements. I feel that this can be dangerous.

I do not know if the steering wheel moves during this because I always counter steer to keep my car in the lane.

I'm assuming my alignment is in spec because I have no uneven tire wear, and the car drives straight while at a steady speed.

I have never kept OEM suspension on any car I've owned, so I'm not sure what could be causing this.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

-Allen

This samething is happening to me & YES it does seem very dangerous kinda scares me....i replaced the struts, ball joints, tires & alignment, wheel bearing, & to no avail i have no idea what it is but i know its dangerous....
Old 04-18-12, 06:16 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

listen bro btw, you will not be able to feel movement in the ball joints. so there is no way of telling what it is for sure. but lemme know what u do and we can figure it out.Also im a certified ASE mechanic so im not like just randomly saying things lol no offense to anyone helping either just an fyi
Old 04-18-12, 07:01 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LucciLou
This samething is happening to me & YES it does seem very dangerous kinda scares me....i replaced the struts, ball joints, tires & alignment, wheel bearing, & to no avail i have no idea what it is but i know its dangerous....
Well good luck and let me know what you find! I will do the same if I can diagnose the issue with success!

Originally Posted by ais300c
listen bro btw, you will not be able to feel movement in the ball joints. so there is no way of telling what it is for sure. but lemme know what u do and we can figure it out.Also im a certified ASE mechanic so im not like just randomly saying things lol no offense to anyone helping either just an fyi
I have built and repaired many cars and engines. I once had partnered ownership in a performance/fabrication shop. I spent 3 years in tech school for Automotive Technology. I never got my ASE Certification because I lost interest in fixing cars. I wanted it to be a hobby, and not a job.

With that being said, I am a very experienced mechanic. I was posting this issue for the simple fact that maybe it's a problem that IS300s are prone to having. I was shooting for a quick fix. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if I'm going to turn out so lucky.

I really don't mean to insult or bash, but... How did you get any ASE Certifications while thinking that you can't test a ball joint?

In addition to your first post, I'm not the type of person to go out and buy parts without knowing exactly what the problem is. That is called wasting money.
Old 04-19-12, 04:38 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

I understand your point, however, i may have not explained myself well enough in my last post. I wasnt aware you had mechanic experience I was under the assumption you wanted ideas on what it could be just to help you out I also was not trying to measure units with you simply stating that Ive got experience. did not mean to be offensive in any way and by testing the ball joint what i meant was if it is locked up it wont have movement thats all I was saying and I got my ASE certs by being a mechanic.... just like you ASE certs really dont mean squat on how skilled u r like I said I was just making a statement. sorry if you took offense to my last post but believe me I have plenty of knowledge and was trying to be helpful.
Old 04-20-12, 05:20 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Maybe it was the way you worded the sentence. No apology necessary. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-20-12, 06:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

To test the ball joints properly its actually pretty easy... get the car off the ground just a few inches, get a long bar, 2-3' or so, and try to pry the wheel/tire assembly straight upwards... if it moves at all, or you feel any looseness that isn't the tire flexing, you have a bad ball joint, also, grab the wheel and 12 and 6 and rock it, checking for horizontal movement as well... Look and feel for looseness in the tie rod ends, bushings and wheel bearings as well...

Even with perfect tire wear, the alignment can still be off enough to cause some weirdness, and, it could also be a tire issue as well...
Old 04-20-12, 06:51 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm aware of the procedure^. I have a dial indicator to give precise measurements on the movements.
Old 04-20-12, 07:29 PM
LucciLou
Driver

i replaced both ball joints and im still having the same problem so i dont think its the ball joints or the wheel bearing since i replaced that cant u guys come up wit something else im no mechanic but i mean i feel my car like a spirit like my own body some type of connection i cant explain if u love cars u probably know what im talking about and i know something is wrong.....weird thing is every mechanic ive taken it to acts like they know what it is but when i ask them if they can hear it or feel it they r completely oblivious like im on crack just tripping out but im not i can asure u its not normal and something is most definitely not right.......

Quick Reply: IS300 - What would cause this dangerous behavior?