IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Powdercoating stock Lexus wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 07:21 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating stock Lexus wheels

i got another set of stock Lexus wheels the other day and am looking for a good place to place to powdercoat them. i live in harrisonburg, va, anyone know any good shops local or somewhere in va that will give me reasonable rates on powdercoating them? i dont want anything fancy just powdercoated gloss black and the center caps done the same way. i also popped out the chrome L logo on the centercaps, im gunna leave them chrome and stick them back on when they are done.
Old 07-25-10, 07:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Probably your best chance to find a local powdercoating spot in Harrisonburg is to post in the Madison Motorsports forum

http://www.mmsports.org/forum/

I went to JMU but graduated long enough ago that nothing is the same there, so don't know where to send you.
Old 07-26-10, 07:02 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Powdercoating is definitely the way to go.

But if you want to do something cheap and SOON you can rattle can paint them. As long as you take your time and do it right you will get great results. I sprayed mine last year and they are still decent, my only problem with spraying them is that after a year there are some chips in the paint. But that's ok I don't mind spray painting them again..

here is the best/closest shot I have of the painted rims.
sorry the girl is standing in the way though..

Old 07-26-10, 09:16 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llllllllll

But if you want to do something cheap and SOON you can rattle can paint them. As long as you take your time and do it right you will get great results. I sprayed mine last year and they are still decent, my only problem with spraying them is that after a year there are some chips in the paint. But that's ok I don't mind spray painting them again..

wow looks great! how did you go about painting them? what did u do to prep them for spray paint?
Old 07-28-10, 12:31 PM
yt35
Rookie

looks good!
Old 07-28-10, 06:15 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

03Lex sorry for hijacking

Originally Posted by kingluis6
wow looks great! how did you go about painting them? what did u do to prep them for spray paint?
My technique for painting is

#1 - Scuff the rims up pretty good with really gritty sandpaper. (this removes all the dirt and grease built up on the wheels & makes a rough surface for the paint to grip better. Don't be scared, scrape the crap out of your rims, the more scrapes the better your paint can grip on to something.

#2 - Wash the dust off with a hose & let dry for 10-15 minutes then wipe down

#3 - Mask the tires off really well with tape and newspaper so you don't have colored tires....

#4 - Spray 3 or 4 light coats of paint, giving 1 hour interval curing time between each coat.... I used the high temperature engine paint. You can get it at pepboys/autozone for like $5 per can. You will need 2 cans for 4 wheels.

#5 - Spray 3 or 4 light coats of clear coat, giving 15 minutes interval between coats. Be sure you get something high temperature
****Don't spray on too thick, thick parts & runs will have yellowish tint****

#6 - sexy wheel time!!!

I think, if you wanted the paint to be a little stronger, after step 4, wait a day or two to let the paint dry really well, then scuff the paint up with some finer grit sand paper, wash them, then apply one or two more coats.

This also works if your wheels have dents, dings, and imperfections, or if you were sloppy and made your paint runny & paint drips.. By sanding the rough paint area (that has already hardened for a day or so), smooth you can kind of "erase" the screwed up area.. Then continue by doing another couple coats of paint, then go to step 5.

Basically, the more time you give the paint to dry the better off you are, and multiple coats of paint (not one thick runny coat), is a good idea too.

It's definitely fun & easy to do if you have a day to waste.

Last edited by llllllllll; 07-28-10 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 10:24 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

thanks for all the great replies, found 2 local va powdercoating places, extreme powder coating quoted me at 150 per wheel, gloss black, can try to fix curb rash on rim. clutch up powder coating quoted me 120 per wheel with gloss black powder coat, with free mount and balance on the new tires im getting, im sure not free but included in price, and painting the plastic center caps the same color, but they said there isnt really anything they can do about curb rash. from what ive read online though 120 is too high and so is 150, but what do you guys think with the services offered with each? i like that extreme powder coating attemps to grind the curb rash down and re-profile the wheel but 150 seems high. the wheels dont have bad curb rash most of the rash would come out when they blast the wheels before powder coating, any ideas haha? and no worries haha you didnt hijaq, just sharing personal experiences
Old 07-29-10, 03:14 PM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i didnt even notice your car in that picture...
Old 07-30-10, 08:29 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
thanks for all the great replies, found 2 local va powdercoating places, extreme powder coating quoted me at 150 per wheel, gloss black, can try to fix curb rash on rim. clutch up powder coating quoted me 120 per wheel with gloss black powder coat, with free mount and balance on the new tires im getting, im sure not free but included in price, and painting the plastic center caps the same color, but they said there isnt really anything they can do about curb rash. from what ive read online though 120 is too high and so is 150, but what do you guys think with the services offered with each? i like that extreme powder coating attemps to grind the curb rash down and re-profile the wheel but 150 seems high. the wheels dont have bad curb rash most of the rash would come out when they blast the wheels before powder coating, any ideas haha? and no worries haha you didnt hijaq, just sharing personal experiences

Yeah man $150 is high, especially you have 4 wheels to do.. jeez that's ridiculous...
I say just do it rattle can style for at least a couple months or whatever until you figure out what to do.
#1 it will temporarily satisfy your craving for black wheels
#2 you will get a preview of what it will look like
#3 you can save money and continue shopping around
Old 08-01-10, 07:43 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Yeah man $150 is high, especially you have 4 wheels to do.. jeez that's ridiculous...
I say just do it rattle can style for at least a couple months or whatever until you figure out what to do.
#1 it will temporarily satisfy your craving for black wheels
#2 you will get a preview of what it will look like
#3 you can save money and continue shopping around
haha that is so true, that is probably what i am going to do until i find a cheaper price on powder coating them haha
Old 08-01-10, 07:49 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Beautiful, both the girl and the car
Old 08-01-10, 09:21 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

haha ilike the wheels, did you paint the center caps too? and the girl ahhh, haha getting side tracked here. are those Nexen tires?
Old 08-01-10, 09:46 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
haha ilike the wheels, did you paint the center caps too? and the girl ahhh, haha getting side tracked here. are those Nexen tires?
look like yokohamas. Do you even know that girl llllllll? And if you say shes your girlfriend im gonna hate you for life lolz j/k
Old 08-01-10, 09:59 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slidingIS
look like yokohamas. Do you even know that girl llllllll? And if you say shes your girlfriend im gonna hate you for life lolz j/k
i looked them up they are wanli tires, haha and i wish i knew that girl in more ways than one
Old 08-01-10, 10:13 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hear that... btw what the hell are wanli tires?

Quick Reply: Powdercoating stock Lexus wheels