IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

ugh im at a crossroad. 93 5spd sc3 or 04 5spd is3

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 04:34 PM
ronricorum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugh im at a crossroad. 93 5spd sc3 or 04 5spd is3

i cannot decide whether to stay with my sc300 and most likely na-t it (within a year) or getting an is300 then waiting later on (maybe 2 years) to na-t it.

for those that have owned both cars or just to anyone that thinks one is better than the other (i know its a matter of opinion, but i still would like to consider it) please give inputs.

thanks guys.

i have also posted this on the sc300 board
Old 12-14-09, 04:52 PM
RCPnoi
Lead Lap

it depends on your purpose and financial status i guess

even the IS300 are pretty inexpensive now but with the same amount of money for a stock IS you can get an SC and have extra to MOD it.....

The SC is pretty much a luxury version of the Supra and the IS is the heavier sedan version.....

My main thing comin from japan was a car that was a good platform for drifting.
the other was something that i may be able to use as a family car since cars here in the US arent as cheap as the ones in japan.

So the IS300 was the one i went for.
I do like my IS300 and would never get rid of it unless it got totalled, but it is expensivve to modify and its been 2 years and she's finally drift ready without
heavy engine mods, i have pretty much just intake and exhaust with most of the
suspension braces and some drivetrain mods.

Never owned the SC but i've driven them and they handle pretty well with the right mods, i think it would cost just as much if not a little less to modify the SC since its still classified as a luxury car, only difference is intial cost.

But with your basic plan of goin NA-T it will be quicker to do it with the SC but i've seen it way too many times when people spend most of their money on their project and end up needing a sedan later on and forcibly selling their much loved projects and taking a big loss.

If you need more consultation feel free to hit me up or just repost with more details on your status single/married/children - loaded/so-so/broke and future plans DD/track/show/all and is this your 1st and only car or 2nd with another car on hand?
Old 12-14-09, 05:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Parts are still hella$$$$$ on the IS300's so if you can't maintain it, don't buy it.
Old 12-14-09, 07:22 PM
RCPnoi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Parts are still hella$$$$$ on the IS300's so if you can't maintain it, don't buy it.
agreed....

wasnt it suppose to have select on it?
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select][start]
Old 12-14-09, 08:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by RCPnoi
agreed....

wasnt it suppose to have select on it?
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select][start]
depends on what game you are playing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code

The original version of the cheat code was designed for the NES controller. In many popular representations of the code, Start is added at the end of the sequence. Select is also sometimes inserted at the end of the code. The exact sequence varies from game to game, and has been adapted to fit the button layouts of different video game consoles. In mobile phone games by Konami, B A are substituted with 5 7 3 on the numerical pad, which is the goroawase pronunciation for "konami."
Old 12-15-09, 10:05 AM
Choiza
Rookie

Without being bias buy the sc300. There value is still worth more than a 2003 IS300 with the same amount of mileage. A low mileage one around 70k can go around $6k-$9k. You can get a IS300 for around that price also with 90k-100k. Their just a lot more better looking than IS300s. Plus they still have better features than the IS300 even though they are a lot older: such as a digital climate control, Automatic steering wheel, green under panel lights to name a few we dont have

SC's look better than IS's. It just has more flare and charisma. I suggest going for the sc300. I am an IS300 owner but I do admit our cars are in the bottom of the Toyota family..
Old 12-15-09, 06:19 PM
ronricorum
Pole Position

just some details from me

single w/ no kids, i am so-so financially, and future plans DD/track/and maybe drift. my sc300 is my 3rd and only car.

and olt has a good point. i always go to toyota and buy mkiv supra parts for my sc3 lol. i save some money that way.
Old 12-16-09, 08:40 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I love both the SC and the IS, but there are some differences, I own a IS300 and have test drove a few SC's.. The one thing I really like about the IS300 vs the SC, is the IS is just so much more nimble because of it's compact size feeling light on it's feet, while the SC feels much heavier. For the SC, the big advantage besides looks, is it is much cheaper to turbo it, compared to the IS, especially if your SC does not have vvt-i and even better if it is a old one before obd II. IF I were you, I would keep the SC, a car you know already, turbo it by doing a NA-T or swappping in a 1JZ and further in the future pick up a IS300 as a great daily driver.
Old 01-08-10, 10:59 AM
Tommy K
Driver

Ive owned a SC and currently have a IS 300 sport cross, I would stick with the SC since it has been around longer and has a solid following on the aftermarket scene. Yes the IS does as well but the SC IMO is a better platform. As stated before the supra parts exchange is a big plus too but I always love seein a SC modded on the street.
Old 01-08-10, 12:41 PM
dexlex2002
Lead Lap

sc, because its cheaper to mod. i got the IS because of my daughter, and i needed a four door. the IS is lighter than theSC but the SC looks better.
Old 01-09-10, 12:03 AM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the IS!! its newer lol.. The IS is worth more.. if ur going to put 4 people or whatever the IS is better since its 4door. SC's are too long to me haha..
Old 01-14-10, 07:29 AM
cricket056
Driver

Originally Posted by Choiza
I am an IS300 owner but I do admit our cars are in the bottom of the Toyota family..
You mean botom of the Lexus family right? I would think the bottom of the toyota family would be the corolla. Didn't toyota make Geo, the prism would then be my vote.
Old 01-16-10, 07:17 PM
Sceptre
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I love both the SC and the IS, but there are some differences, I own a IS300 and have test drove a few SC's.. The one thing I really like about the IS300 vs the SC, is the IS is just so much more nimble because of it's compact size feeling light on it's feet, while the SC feels much heavier. For the SC, the big advantage besides looks, is it is much cheaper to turbo it, compared to the IS, especially if your SC does not have vvt-i and even better if it is a old one before obd II. IF I were you, I would keep the SC, a car you know already, turbo it by doing a NA-T or swappping in a 1JZ and further in the future pick up a IS300 as a great daily driver.
I agree with 2002ggpIS3 about keeping the SC. It is a great platform to have. I also have a GGP IS300 and a MSM GS300. You can pick up a higher mileage IS on the cheap for a great DD and you know the 2jz's last forever. Only thing about the IS300 is I feel like the exterior metal is not as strong, because for some reason I feel like my car dings real easy.