Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to buy a Lexus.. Is300 or Sc300???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 10:48 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy a Lexus.. Is300 or Sc300???

Im looking to buy my 1st lexus... i dont know which to buy tho, an IS300 looks good but ive always have a thing about the sc300 which 1 is more ideal for me? i want something reliable, lots of mods for, and a good car even to carry on after graduation and possibly after starting a family

althought is300 has 4 doors, its kind of small, the sc on the other hand i think has bigger legroom.

qualty wise, i dont know which 1 is better... althought IS300 is newer, the SC seems more luxurious. with the leather being better quality, telescoping wheel and such, it just seems like its actually a higher class, i guess its because when it 1st came out it carried a heavier price tag compared to the IS.

again i dont know which 1 is better, if anyone has anything to say, please let me know. thanks guys
Old 02-22-07, 11:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

the SC will be the better car as far as luxury goes. The only objective thing that the IS300 does better in is that it has 4 doors. It's easier for people to get in and out of the car, but i doubt an adult will like the rear legroom. its quite small.

If you're looking for something that you can carry on, why not look at a 98-05 GS300/400/430? It's bigger and more luxurious than the IS/SC, and the GS300 has that turbo potential if you ever itch to mod.
Old 02-22-07, 11:20 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

i thought about the gs but i like the style of the IS and SC tho. I was thinking about getting a SC but its so hard to find 1 in good condition, an IS is alot newer and people tend to take care of it.

which 1 of these 2 car is overall a better choice as of reliability, style, and reliability?
Old 02-23-07, 12:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hard to beat the reliability of the IS300 ( it was the highest-ranking car in Consumer Reports' reliability database for awhile ) but the 2001 and some early 2002 automatics had a couple of quirks in the transmission ECU that would come and go. Other than that, the cars were virtually bulletproof. I had a 2001 myself...for almost 5 years. That is how I joined CL.
Old 02-23-07, 01:36 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The IS is much easier to drive and more comfortable, the SC is better built and more "lexus like" in it's materials.

Between the two I'd only consider a 2000 model SC against an IS and I'd still pick the IS.

I've owned both and can make that decision easily.
Old 02-23-07, 03:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s14maniac
which 1 of these 2 car is overall a better choice as of reliability, style, and reliability?
Reliability: both cars are very reliable. They're practically bullet-proof as most Lexus are of the past, and many SC300/IS300 are running with 100+k miles with no problems at all. Between the two, there should be no major concerns on reliability.

Style: I'm a sucker for coupes. But I do like the interior of the first gen IS more than the SC. There are a lot of mods for the SC and would be killer to personalize. However, the IS is more practical in a sense of more passenger room/accessability, as well as being cheaper to insure. Since you are considering to use the car for family use in the future, the IS may be more functional.

Safety: I'm adding this because it's a major concern for a car that is sporty and agile. The SC has a tendency to roll-over in major accidents, which has happened to a couple of CL members in the past. Unfortunately, I can't find NHTSA results for the SC. The IS has received 5 starts with the NHTSA for front and side impacts. I think the IS is more safe, although both cars are structurally sound.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the search!
Old 02-23-07, 05:46 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

humm it looks like generally people choose the IS, as far as more passenger room/accessability, i dont think the IS is very big at all, as a matter of fact, i checked out a yellow 2002 5-speed IS yesterday and i was suprised to see how small the interior space is! as for the SC, its longer, i thought it might be bigger? not too sure.

another thing i was suprised to see is that the trunk of an IS feels "loose"... sorta like a civic, what i mean is it doesnt feel heavy like i would think a lexus would feel, but i might be bias.

either way i love both cars... i just dont know which 1 to get!!!
Old 02-23-07, 05:57 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

oh by the way, my car HAS to be 5-speed, i heard IS normally have problem with their tranny? im not sure...
Old 02-23-07, 06:48 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

O.L.T. you said u can make the decision easily and choose an IS, could you elaborate? im having such a hard time but since you HAVE both cars, can you please tel me why IS is a better choice? thanks!
Old 02-23-07, 07:44 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a sc400 now and used to have a 5sp sc300 and my dad has a 02 msm 5sp is300. I have driven all of these cars alot and stock for stock the is300 handles much better than the sc300 or 400, i dont think anyone would disagree, in fact whenever my dad drives my sc4 he complains its too much of a luxury car. If you are looking down the road at the possibility turbo in one of these cars (i am assumeing since you are only looking at 300s and used to have a s14) i think the is300 would be a better starting point if you dont mind the extra $$ for the is300 (is 3270lbs vs. sc 3500 lbs). Although the sc is a bigger car i dont really think using the back seat is really practical for long trips but the is3 isnt really either, but its alot easier to open a rear door and throw stuff in the back rather than having to move the seat forward in a coupe.

P.S. our is3 doesnt have a loose trunk feel ... i would suspect a rear end accident because that is odd ... make sure you have it checked out with lexus before you buy
Old 02-23-07, 10:43 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

yea i had a 97 240sx 5-speed LE, upon test driving the is300, i find that a 240 is somewhat more responsive.. i guess i might be bias since i was expecting quite a bit more from the n/a supra engine with 215hp and 200+ torque.

you're right about both sc and IS not good for long trips, plus i dont think i will take my car on long trips to be honest with you, none of the two are good on gas

im suprised to hear that an sc does not have good suspension considering that they share the same suspension with supra? am i right? maybe not but there are definatly alot of room to grow since i knwo they share the same aftermarket suspension with the supras tho.

as for the trunk door, i guess its not "loose" its just "light" i was looking for a much heavier trunk, i actually opened the trunk a little too hard because i thought i needed to lol, the dude wansnt all that happy.

again thanks for the feedback guys! its really helping me out quite a bit!
Old 02-25-07, 09:31 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

i think im gonna end up buying a soarer but the jdm ones dont come with leather... does it have telescopting steering wheel??
Old 02-25-07, 11:14 AM
mbud
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want something to eventually carry a family in, and be practical then i wouldnt suggest the soarer or an sc... My opinion go for the IS, looks great, fairly quick, and MANY performance parts are offered for it.

It seems like the proper choice for what you're looking for. Good Luck with your decision!