IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

where are these noises coming from??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-01, 06:52 PM
No_bimmer_4_me

Angry

I recently found this site and think it's great. I have a problem with my IS which is practically new (which means I notice EVERY little annoying detail). There are all kinds of noises coming from everywhere!! The most annoying is the one coming from the driver side door, which sounds like the door is loose when going over bumps. It may just be the window because I don't notice it with it down, but then again...that might be because of the excess wind noise. Then there is the rattling noise coming from the dash. I could swear that it's the trip meter button, because when I hold it down it stops. And this happens with extreme irregularities so it's impossible to point out. Third is the slight creaking noise coming from the roof area, or the sunroof. The service department said that they took care of that with some lubricating....yeah right! (I noticed it again on my way home from the dealer) Last but not least is the creaking noise from the shocks/suspension when I'm stepping out of my car. I took time out of my extremely busy schedule to take this car to the dealer, not once, not twice, but THREE times to try to get all of these, or at least the major ones taken care of...but the so-called "certified" technicians at my local Lexus dealers can't seem to detect any of these noises. In fact they look at me like I'm making this stuff up!! I'm now living with these annoying problems and it has taken all the fun out of driving what is otherwise an extremely nice car! I must have gotten at least 50 comments about it and have also caught this guy taking a picture of his girlfriend in front of my car. Has anyone else had these problems?..and if so...can you tell me how to convince the service department to take care of them? I know that this is probable a somewhat of an isolated occurance because I have yet to see someone as unsatisfied with his IS than me...but that would all be resolved if these damn noises went away!! I get a distinct feeling that I've been sold a "lemon" IS 300...and although asking them to replace it for another one might be asking for too much...I may have to go that route if they can't detect the noises. It's either that or to sell it and buy a BMW which I really do NOT want to do.
Sorry in advance of the lonf post.
Old 05-17-01, 06:13 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well I havet he same noice in my drivers side door as you.... and I think it is the window that is loose... I am afraid that if the dealer werks on it the whole door will rattle instead of jsut the window.. seeing as they will have to take it all apart.. ya know... as forthe rest of the noises I am not sure what to tell you... have you tried takin it to another Lex Dealer? some are better than others you know....
Old 05-17-01, 05:55 PM
No_bimmer_4_me

thanks for the reply. I have taken it to two different dealers and either of them seem to be able to detect it or are playing dumb. I went on the ride with one of the technicians, but he was going extremely slow to make anything rattle or shake enough to make any noised over the bumps, and then claimed that "speed shouldn't matter" when it came to noises"..WTF?!? And the other dealer claimed that the noises were coming probably coming from my keychain/or change in the ashtray!! I think I can tell the difference between noises coming from the car and noises coming from keychain or change. And they were about to close and I really needed a car (and I didn't get a loaner because they claimed I needed to schedule for one). I am fed up. I want them to come pick up my car, drop off a loaner, and fix all the problems before they bring it back! I am extremely pissed that I have taken two half days off of work without even getting the problem fixed! Do they think that I'm having fun bringing my car in for service?!? They act like I'm making up these noises! oh well?!? ...and what's up with that ECU updates?? I noticed the hesitations in lower gears and shifting, but I thought that was normal. I guess it's back to the service department...yet again and they'll probably claim that I'm making this up too!
--------------------

01' Fully Loaded Graphite Grey IS 300
anyone think I shoulda gotten the 325xi instead?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-17-01, 05:59 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

dood hang in there.. the ECU updates will be out to all dealers soon and as far as yoru problems keep bringing it back and or write a letter to LEXUS direct... that will rattle some bones over there at the dealership.. let Lexus know you are unhappy and that two dealerships have not fixed it on several occasions...