IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Rear Red LED Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 06:07 PM
JustinK101
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rear Red LED Turn Signals

Thinking of buying a pair of Red LED bulbs for the rear turn signals for the is300. I think it would be a neat mod. What is the law though, cause I know some cars have rear red turn signals factory like Audi, so it must be legal.
Old 09-13-04, 07:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Keep in mind that the RED LED bulbs draw low wattage, it will trigger your bulb malfunction indicator light.
Old 09-13-04, 10:42 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

I have red LED's in my front and rear blinkers. I like the clean, crisp flash they give. They are bright a hell too. At first I had super white ones in back, but I got pulled over for them, so I switched to red about a year ago, and haven't been hasseled with since. They do trigger the taillight out light, and the blinkers blink a bit faster. It's all good though.
Old 09-15-04, 01:23 PM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

they blink crazy fast! i took em out ASAP and threw in some red lense bulbs
Old 09-17-04, 12:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I heard you have to attach an adaptor or transistor or something so it wont blink fast. Many people on the maxima forums have done this and say it works perfect. Check it out, i dont know exactly what it is but there are ways to getting around this.
Old 09-17-04, 01:29 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by magneto112
I heard you have to attach an adaptor or transistor or something so it wont blink fast. Many people on the maxima forums have done this and say it works perfect. Check it out, i dont know exactly what it is but there are ways to getting around this.
sounds like too much work for such a minor mod. why not just get some clear bulbs and paint them red.
Old 09-18-04, 05:24 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

taken from...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24953.htm
Old 09-19-04, 01:42 PM
islex32
Driver

Yeah I think they look good. The fast flash is neat in my opinion. Its all up u though. U should not have any issues with the cops. I had them in my maxima for 2 years and got bothered about everything except those lights.
Old 09-19-04, 11:25 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

To cure the hyper blink you need to simulate an electrical load like a regular bulb would produce. I saw this item the other day and thought it would be something to get if I ever got led bulbs:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

LOAD RESISTOR KITS

One LOAD Resistor is required for each turn signal bulb

6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors can be connected across the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a regular filament bulb (2 Amp load). This will solve LED related turn signal problems such as hyper flashing or burnt out bulb indications.
Kit Includes gel filled moisture resistant splice taps.

CONNECTION INSTRUCTIONS: Using included splice taps, connect one wire to ground and the other wire to the turn/brake hot wire. Splice taps allow for installation without cutting your turn signal wires.
Old 09-20-04, 12:36 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by IS JOE
To cure the hyper blink you need to simulate an electrical load like a regular bulb would produce. I saw this item the other day and thought it would be something to get if I ever got led bulbs:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

LOAD RESISTOR KITS

One LOAD Resistor is required for each turn signal bulb

6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors can be connected across the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a regular filament bulb (2 Amp load). This will solve LED related turn signal problems such as hyper flashing or burnt out bulb indications.
Kit Includes gel filled moisture resistant splice taps.

CONNECTION INSTRUCTIONS: Using included splice taps, connect one wire to ground and the other wire to the turn/brake hot wire. Splice taps allow for installation without cutting your turn signal wires.
sounds like too much work for such a minor mod. why not just get some clear bulbs and paint them red.
Old 09-20-04, 04:11 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

Originally posted by baadhabit
I personally have amber bulbs painted silver right now on my car. I like the clean look of the housings with the silver bulbs. You don't get the amber "egg yolk" effect.

But in the future, when these bulbs burn out, I was thinking about getting LEDs to replace them. There were a couple of reasons I wanted to do that:
a) clean (no amber) look when they are off.
b) brighter high intensity light when they are on.
c) lasts longer than regular bulbs. Probably won't burn out for a long long time.
d) crisp on/off action. Doesn't "fade" in like filament bulbs do.

Those are some of my reasons. Whether its worth it or not is up to you. Honestly, adding the inline resistor is a 30 second job. Just snap those blue wire taps over your existing signal wires and mount the resistor somewhere. Done.
Old 09-20-04, 04:24 PM
MIKE313
Driver School Candidate

I GOT THE RED AT THE BACK TURN SIGNALS
AND 1 WHITE AND 1 YELLOW FOR EACH FRONT TURN SIGNALS
COPS WILL PULL U OVER IF ITS ALL WHILE BULB FOR FRONT OR BACK TURN SIGNALS.
SO COPS CAN NOT PULL ME OVER CAUZ I HAVE WHITE AND YELLOW.... HAHAA