IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 07:07 PM
RichFlair
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Header Install

I know there is a few guys on here who have installed there own headers. How would you rate the difficulty of the job? Any suggestions or tips? I might have access to a lift in the near future, and I'm thinking of doing the work my self. I was reading the sikky pdf and it doesn't seem to bad. I would say I'm a intermediate mechanic.
Old 05-13-15, 09:23 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Although i had not install a set of headers for the F, i'm pretty sure you can do it yourself. Its going to be a tedious job though. If you know someone who could help you, thats even better.
Old 05-14-15, 11:26 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the install in my garage by my self and it was not bad at all. Worst part was removing the lower sub frame while trying to remove the steering rack and control arms. It is much easier with some one helping.

I have a lift, I do not envy the person that would do this in the garage on jack stands.
Old 05-14-15, 03:06 PM
Blzn335
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RichFlair do you live in NorCal or SoCal? I just moved to NorCal and am also interested in installing headers. Maybe we can do it together. I've heard it's not that bad of a job but without a lift I heard its kind of a ***** but I would be willing to give it a try with some help and some extra hands. Let me know if your interested. I do have to wait a little bit cause I have to smog my F pretty soon.
Old 05-14-15, 05:56 PM
RichFlair
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blzn335
RichFlair do you live in NorCal or SoCal? I just moved to NorCal and am also interested in installing headers. Maybe we can do it together. I've heard it's not that bad of a job but without a lift I heard its kind of a ***** but I would be willing to give it a try with some help and some extra hands. Let me know if your interested. I do have to wait a little bit cause I have to smog my F pretty soon.
Right on dude, I'm in NorCal in the east bay. My smog is next April, I figure if I do the install myself I could save a ton of money.
Old 05-14-15, 09:05 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by RichFlair
Right on dude, I'm in NorCal in the east bay. My smog is next April, I figure if I do the install myself I could save a ton of money.
Let me know guys, if my schedule permits i can help also. Im in the same area too.

Last edited by ljdsong; 05-14-15 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 09:27 PM
Blzn335
Rookie

Cool, I live in the east bay too. Im up for a smog in October I think. Would be cool to get a few east bay Isf guys together to work on cars then do a little racing at the track. I track my F from time to time.
Old 05-14-15, 11:22 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I live in the east bay too. Im up for a smog in October I think. Would be cool to get a few east bay Isf guys together to work on cars then do a little racing at the track. I track my F from time to time.
I would be down for that. Working on a v8 seems like a pita. I kind of miss my 4 cylinder turbo

Which track and club do you go with? I go with NCRC.
Old 05-15-15, 02:12 AM
RichFlair
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pie
I would be down for that. Working on a v8 seems like a pita. I kind of miss my 4 cylinder turbo

Which track and club do you go with? I go with NCRC.
The only tracks I've gone to were sac and sonoma for drag racing. Ive always wanted to venture out into other types of racing. Yea the v8 in the isf seems crammed in there. But theres not much i won't tackle.
Old 05-15-15, 07:32 AM
Blzn335
Rookie

I used to do a little club drifting events with my 350z. I did a fair amount of drag strip runs in Arizona at speedworld and what used to be firebird track. A CL member from here introduced me to HPDE course racing with NASA racing group. I've run at INDE and Wild Horse pass in AZ. I'm very much still a beginner as I've only been to a few events but I gotta say it's damn fun. I'll be heading to Sonoma June 20 with nasa if anyone wants to join in. PM if interested. Otherwise I guess when someone is ready to do headers we'll have to schedule a wrenching day in the east bay.
Old 05-15-15, 02:33 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do a little club drifting events with my 350z. I did a fair amount of drag strip runs in Arizona at speedworld and what used to be firebird track. A CL member from here introduced me to HPDE course racing with NASA racing group. I've run at INDE and Wild Horse pass in AZ. I'm very much still a beginner as I've only been to a few events but I gotta say it's damn fun. I'll be heading to Sonoma June 20 with nasa if anyone wants to join in. PM if interested. Otherwise I guess when someone is ready to do headers we'll have to schedule a wrenching day in the east bay.
Nice! I love infineon. However, my friends and I will not track with NASA again. The membership and track event price is high, track is overcrowded, and they did not signal any passing flags.