IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Opinions on which IS-F is the better option.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 03:27 PM
eds133
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on which IS-F is the better option.

Hey guys, I live I live in the St. Louis area and am looking for my first Lexus.

There are two that are located close to me. Both are 08's but both have a different story to it.

1. Has just over 70k and the asking is 31900. One owner, always maintained at the same dealership so it has the records on hand from the maintenance done.

2. 52k and asking 32900. 5 owners. The first owner was a lease and the rest all had the car for a short time... this drew a lot of red flags for me and when I asked the dealer they said they got the car at the auction so they did not know the previous owner.

I am leaning more towards the first option. I also do not mind driving a few hours if it is the right vehicle, so if any of you guys know of any for sale within 6-7 hours of St. Louis, feel free to PM me.

Any other tips are welcome!

Thanks guys.
Old 04-13-15, 06:47 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought my 08 for 27k with 76k in it.... 4 previous owners. Don't have any records of what has been done. Carfax didn't have any maintenance records & showed no wreak history, but I can tell it's been in a small fender bender... But zero issues with the car...
Old 04-13-15, 07:15 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy mine - Mine's up for sale at Midwest motors in the NW suburbs of Chicago. I think it's listed at 32 and change. It's an 08 with 54K miles.

Just FYI, I'm a 41 year old and drove it responsibly all those 7 years. I took it to the track for a total for 4 hours and maybe about 150 passes down the strip.

No issues but for a CEL that was finally diagnosed and fixed once the wires for the PPE headers were moved. Yes, mine is modded with ceramic coated PPE headers, Borla exhaust, Figs 2 piece rotors, coilovers with 16/12 K swift springs (from Figs). Only issues are slightly damaged front lip from scraping and once I backed into a pile of snow with my rear bumper so a slight slight paint issue. so you can buy buy new bumpers and still come out WAY ahead.

Oh, you can ask about the 6 Volk RE 30 rims with TPMS and winter tires and the Toyo R888 tires that I've used for the last time I went drag racing. Yup, 6 extra rims, 6 extra tires, and 4 TMPS that's already programmed.

I've had all recalls done and maintenance. Front pads and all rotors are only 10K miles old. Exhaust and headers are only 2 years old. Passes IL emissions and I still have the stock headers and parts. No stock catback portion though.

I just want to see my baby go to a good home. Good luck.

Oh yeah, to all you newbs here... I've had my IS-F for a while and besides caymandive, this is the only other IS-F that doesn't have NOS that actually broke 12.0 at the 1/4!
Old 04-13-15, 11:33 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Just buy mine - Mine's up for sale at Midwest motors in the NW suburbs of Chicago. I think it's listed at 32 and change. It's an 08 with 54K miles.

Just FYI, I'm a 41 year old and drove it responsibly all those 7 years. I took it to the track for a total for 4 hours and maybe about 150 passes down the strip.

No issues but for a CEL that was finally diagnosed and fixed once the wires for the PPE headers were moved. Yes, mine is modded with ceramic coated PPE headers, Borla exhaust, Figs 2 piece rotors, coilovers with 16/12 K swift springs (from Figs). Only issues are slightly damaged front lip from scraping and once I backed into a pile of snow with my rear bumper so a slight slight paint issue. so you can buy buy new bumpers and still come out WAY ahead.

Oh, you can ask about the 6 Volk RE 30 rims with TPMS and winter tires and the Toyo R888 tires that I've used for the last time I went drag racing. Yup, 6 extra rims, 6 extra tires, and 4 TMPS that's already programmed.

I've had all recalls done and maintenance. Front pads and all rotors are only 10K miles old. Exhaust and headers are only 2 years old. Passes IL emissions and I still have the stock headers and parts. No stock catback portion though.

Oh yeah, to all you newbs here... I've had my IS-F for a while and besides caymandive, this is the only other IS-F that doesn't have NOS that actually broke 12.0 at the 1/4!
If I was State side and looking for an IS-F, yours would be top of the list mate.

Sounds like a cracking car, with lots of nice mods, and a true enthusiast last owner.

Someone will get a bargain if they snap this up.
Old 04-14-15, 12:00 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by eds133
Hey guys, I live I live in the St. Louis area and am looking for my first Lexus.

There are two that are located close to me. Both are 08's but both have a different story to it.

1. Has just over 70k and the asking is 31900. One owner, always maintained at the same dealership so it has the records on hand from the maintenance done.

2. 52k and asking 32900. 5 owners. The first owner was a lease and the rest all had the car for a short time... this drew a lot of red flags for me and when I asked the dealer they said they got the car at the auction so they did not know the previous owner.

I am leaning more towards the first option. I also do not mind driving a few hours if it is the right vehicle, so if any of you guys know of any for sale within 6-7 hours of St. Louis, feel free to PM me.

Any other tips are welcome!

Thanks guys.
Just my opinion, but option number 1. I would argue that a well maintained car with a year and a half worth of miles more is far better than an unknown one.

Firstly, I wouldn't lease and ISF because I wanted to daily drive it softly. It is a Beast, and would be driven as such so you run the risk that the previous owner may have had too much fun with it and definitely did not care because he/she knew that they would return it. Then there's 4 other owners involved that for whatever reason decided in a short amount of time they did not want to keep that car, which leads me to think they were concerned something about that car would not last so they dumped it before whatever that problem is came to light.

Just my two cents not having any car fax or anything.
Old 04-14-15, 12:33 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Obvious choice- first one would be my choosing. A well maintained vehicle is worth more than the added 18k miles. If these are the two that you're adamant on choosing between, it should be a no brainer. Five total owners is a bit scary, and most likely someone would have ran the crap out of it. ToothDoc's looks really nice. Hopefully that one goes to a good home as well.
Old 04-14-15, 06:12 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for the first of the two bc it has One owner, and also consider ToothDoc's. Just because he tracked it does not mean it was not maintained properly. In fact, cars that have been taken to their full potential are better because the ECU knows that way of driving. Also get the VIN and check history on http://owners.lexus.com
Old 04-14-15, 07:28 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc

Was getting the girlfriend a spa gift certificate across the street and spotted this front and center at the dealership. I was in my MM 08 as well. Clean car... I'd jump on it if I didn't already have one.
Old 04-14-15, 08:44 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

+ a million on toothdoc's car! I have seen this in person and it is very well taken care of not to mentions the mods that are done are perfect IMO.
Old 04-14-15, 09:02 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First one. No brainer.
Old 04-14-15, 10:09 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

First one for sure. A one owner car with dealer records usually indicates the car was taken care of properly. If your buying from the owner then you can get a sense of the owners personality and how it was treated. I didnt even consider 3+ owner cars when I was looking for mine. I'm technically the third owner but I knew where and when the car was sold to the second owner and the second owner only had it for a couple months.
Old 04-14-15, 10:34 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say get the first one.. 5 owners is 4 too many if you ask me!
Old 04-14-15, 12:41 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

First one.

The second might be just fine, but there are too many maybes.
Old 04-14-15, 08:02 PM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 ISF for sale in Kansas City and would be willing to deliver it to you.

32,000 miles CPO with full warranty to 100K - I am the second owner, never wrecked and always maintained. FANTASTIC car!!! The only reason I am selling is due to job change, otherwise I would be keeping it. All stock with all the options - NAV, Levinson, Back up camera, DVD, fully loaded $38,500
Old 04-15-15, 06:08 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for the first option