Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

best solution for harsh ride?

Old 02-24-15, 07:40 PM   #1
sc3dreamin
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default best solution for harsh ride?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the harsh ride getting to me after my first test drive.

What's the best way to soften the ride up? I assume a set of coil overs would be a good step....

What about a set of springs? Ive read that the car rides better with tein lowering springs.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
sc3dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 08:26 PM   #2
bnizzle87
Lexus Champion

Brian CL 08ISF bn1zzle87

I've always felt springs were more for a one-and-done drop, but in all honesty, the IS Fs I've been in that have had just springs, the owners quickly chose to go the coilover route for more adjustability. The ride is less harsh that way and the driving experience should become more pleasant after installation.

Aerotect | Tom's | Joe Z + Performance Tube Systems | Xenon Depot | AutoCouture | Beat-Sonic | WALD | BC Racing + Swift | Volk Racing | PPE | ?

My Build Thread:
Build Process - Pictures and Progression - Insights
bnizzle87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 09:10 PM   #3
joshhleee
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

imjoshhlee

Kw v3 coilovers lol
Old 02-25-15, 12:15 AM   #4
V8Lex
Driver School Candidate

what year did you test drive?
V8Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:20 AM   #5
sc3dreamin
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Lex View Post
what year did you test drive?
2008....yes I know the 2011 got a suspension overhaul, but id honestly rather buy an 08, and do coilovers then spend 10k more for a 2011 vs a 2008 personally.

Id like to think a 08 with KW coils would ride just as good if not better than a 2011 car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhleee View Post
Kw v3 coilovers lol
Do they still ride good with a decent drop?

Last edited by sc3dreamin; 02-25-15 at 09:32 AM..
Old 02-25-15, 10:19 AM   #6
zen
Driver
Trader Score: (6)

best solution for harsh ride, buy another car. you should do a search there are topics discussed about this over and over. The ride is also depends on the wheel size, and tire thickness. I have 08 with 12 oem suspension, it's less firm but you can still feel all the bumps on the road.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 10:26 AM   #7
sc3dreamin
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
best solution for harsh ride, buy another car. you should do a search there are topics discussed about this over and over. The ride is also depends on the wheel size, and tire thickness. I have 08 with 12 oem suspension, it's less firm but you can still feel all the bumps on the road.
Ive done a search, didnt really see anyone specifically saying the car was a ton better with coil overs or anything.

Saw a few people claim it was better with lowering springs, but that doesnt make much sense to me since lowering springs should be a stiffer rate lol
Old 02-25-15, 10:35 AM   #8
Fsport2UR
Rookie

The least expensive solution, buy +2011 shocks and springs(typically can get them used with low miles). 2nd option is coilovers.

Just to add, there are variations in the suspension in 2011, 2012 and 2013 models. For example, the shocks are all different from 2011, 2012, and 2013...but the springs are the same on the 2011 and 2012.
2013 and 2014 have identical suspension setup. Front and rear sway bars are the same on all models 2008-2014.
Old 02-25-15, 10:37 AM   #9
zen
Driver
Trader Score: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3dreamin View Post
Ive done a search, didnt really see anyone specifically saying the car was a ton better with coil overs or anything.

Saw a few people claim it was better with lowering springs, but that doesnt make much sense to me since lowering springs should be a stiffer rate lol
It's really depends on the road condition in your area and if you can cope it. I'd think the 08 suspension rides great on flat surfaced road. The area where I live has tons of pot holes and bumps on the road surface. The 08 suspension is firm but not harsh, and I feel the 08 suspension accelerate the car quicker than the 12 suspension. I haven't experience any ISF with coilover so I can't compare it with the 12 suspension. If you daily drive the car, 11+ suspension swap may be your solution.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 10:39 AM   #10
mattbeeezy
Pole Position
Trader Score: (26)

mattbeeezy mattbeeezy matt_beeezy

if ride quality is what your looking for then coilovers would be your choice. I'm currently running on BC's and I felt the car has improved for daily driving, for the track thats a different story. Even my gf thinks its much more better had has no problem driving my car now. With her being 115 pounds and the ISF on stock suspension she felt like she was going to fly out the seat after every harsh bump. Even at high speeds on the freeway it feels much more stable.

2008 IS-F Starfire Pearl

2012 GX460 Starfire Pearl
2009 Camry Hybrid Super White (Daily/Weekend Uber Driver)
mattbeeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 11:03 AM   #11
Rossi
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

KW coilovers
Old 02-25-15, 11:29 AM   #12
sc3dreamin
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbeeezy View Post
if ride quality is what your looking for then coilovers would be your choice. I'm currently running on BC's and I felt the car has improved for daily driving, for the track thats a different story. Even my gf thinks its much more better had has no problem driving my car now. With her being 115 pounds and the ISF on stock suspension she felt like she was going to fly out the seat after every harsh bump. Even at high speeds on the freeway it feels much more stable.
I was reading about them, seems like a good alternative at half the price with decent quality.

Do you have the 14/10 setup?

Seems like they recommended the 14/10 but a lot of people jumping up 16/12
Old 02-25-15, 11:55 AM   #13
mattbeeezy
Pole Position
Trader Score: (26)

mattbeeezy mattbeeezy matt_beeezy

Using 16/12. 14/10 may be too soft for the ISF.

2008 IS-F Starfire Pearl

2012 GX460 Starfire Pearl
2009 Camry Hybrid Super White (Daily/Weekend Uber Driver)
mattbeeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 12:16 PM   #14
boones
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3dreamin View Post
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the harsh ride getting to me after my first test drive.

What's the best way to soften the ride up? I assume a set of coil overs would be a good step....

What about a set of springs? Ive read that the car rides better with tein lowering springs.
You live in Delaware, so you have freeze/thaw cycles and the terrible roads that come with it. Be careful of taking advice on ride quality from folks in California or Florida or somewhere else without real winter. What is just fine in those climates can be awful in other states. I spent most of my life in NJ, so I know Delaware well.
boones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 12:39 PM   #15
sc3dreamin
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boones View Post
You live in Delaware, so you have freeze/thaw cycles and the terrible roads that come with it. Be careful of taking advice on ride quality from folks in California or Florida or somewhere else without real winter. What is just fine in those climates can be awful in other states. I spent most of my life in NJ, so I know Delaware well.
Yea lol, the roads can be pretty ****ty which is why I was thinking a little softer should help absorb some of the ****
Old 02-25-15, 12:39 PM