IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Toms Diffuser Installation Help - 3M Tape

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 05:30 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Toms Diffuser Installation Help - 3M Tape

I picked up a used diffuser and I am trying to get this thing installed. But I test fitted it and it definitely needs to be 'pressed/pushed' into the bumper to get rid of the gaps. Is that normal? Or should it be 'resting' flush?

Some follow-ups:

1. Other than the bottom clips, what adhesive is anyone using? I was thinking 3M automotive tape, but I don't know how much I need and where to place it. I would like it to be easily removable.

2. There is a grey weatherstripping, that was pre-installed on the diffuser. Unfortunately, the rubber strip is facing away from the outer rim (down). I don't think thats right.. Where can I get a replacement for this?

3. I am missing the rubber washers, that I've read that comes with the kit. How necessary are those?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-15, 09:15 PM
ct200
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
I picked up a used diffuser and I am trying to get this thing installed. But I test fitted it and it definitely needs to be 'pressed/pushed' into the bumper to get rid of the gaps. Is that normal? Or should it be 'resting' flush?

Some follow-ups:

1. Other than the bottom clips, what adhesive is anyone using? I was thinking 3M automotive tape, but I don't know how much I need and where to place it. I would like it to be easily removable.

2. There is a grey weatherstripping, that was pre-installed on the diffuser. Unfortunately, the rubber strip is facing away from the outer rim (down). I don't think thats right.. Where can I get a replacement for this?

3. I am missing the rubber washers, that I've read that comes with the kit. How necessary are those?

Thanks guys.
I just installed my diffuser a couple of day ago and I'm guessing the grey weatherstripping you are referring to is just the old 3M automotive tape maybe? if you put some pics of it maybe we could figure it out

with mine since it was used too I took the old 3m tape off and put new one all around it on the inside border then proceed to install the bottom clips, then make sure you push the top in place and hold it there for a while and let the 3M tape bond to the bumper and that should do the trick!!

as far as the rubber washer I guess that there more for looks than anything else... to make it look more flush but I don't think it should affect it too much not having it
Old 01-14-15, 09:37 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Some follow-ups:

Thanks guys.
You need to press it in to fit it. I recommend removing the entire rear bumper, and removing the exhaust tips from the bumper before installing. Test fit the diffuser so that you can press it in, so that the diffuser sits flush against the bumper. Then take some tape or whatever and tape it flush against the diffuser edge. That way when you remove the bumper you'll have a guide of where the diffuser should go when you're attaching it with the tape. Also, when doing the final install of the diffuser, i suggest you leave the 3m tape backing on the bottom portion of the diffuser edge that curves (the edges next to the exhaust tip). That way when sticking on the diffuser, you can stick on the easy straight edge first, then do the two exhaust tip sides separately by removing the tape backing while applying pressure on the curved edge.

1 Assuming you bought it used, you'll have to buy a good quality 3m adhesive to ensure the diffuser doesn't fall off. You'll be taping off the leading edge of the diffuser, from left most tip to right most tip.

2 Not sure, I didn't even use my strip. I threw it away and just taped the 3m tape flush against the edge.

3 I don't remember any washers that were included with my rear diffuser.

See my post for an example of what I did: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8746589

Bought this double sided tape to attach my diffuser:
Automotive Tape 3M Acrylic Plus Double Sided Attachment Tape OEM 3M part # 3M 06384 (Listed by Mystarsound.com): Auto Double Sided Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Automotive Tape 3M Acrylic Plus Double Sided Attachment Tape OEM 3M part # 3M 06384 (Listed by Mystarsound.com): Auto Double Sided Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

If you want a really good stick, you should buy 3m primer and apply it before putting on the double sided tape. But you said you wanted the diffuser to be easily removed. By adding this primer, it might make it harder to remove.
Amazon.com: 3M Primer 94 1/2 Pint | Car Wrapping Application Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M Primer 94 1/2 Pint | Car Wrapping Application Tool: Automotive

Last edited by kzlflash; 01-14-15 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 10:07 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

Use appropriately sized 3M doubled-sided VHB (very high bond) tape. I've had my diffuser without the weather stripping for 2 years and counting. No problemo.
Best way to install is to remove the bumper (and exhaust diffusers) and test fitting technique a few times. Apply tape only on the periphery of the diffuser...
Old 01-14-15, 10:20 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Kzflash, thanks for taking the time to walk me through. Wasn't expecting to remove the bumper.
Old 01-17-15, 12:06 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Kzflash, thanks for taking the time to walk me through. Wasn't expecting to remove the bumper.
You don't have to, but if you want the most perfect fit and ease of install then you should remove the rear bumper. It's actually not that hard to remove the rear bumper.