Headers and long term reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-14, 12:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Originally Posted by ToothDoc
If I could do it over again, I'd keep it stock. Headers did cause a little bit of CEL problems for me which are fixed now. I went to headers in pursuit of breaking 12.0@ the 1/4 mile. Which I did, but quite honestly, it's not THAT much faster that it warrants the raw fuel smell, the nerves i get during emissions, and the cost. I've incurred about 3K in parts, install, and A/F sensors over the last 2 years... for what? 1/10 in 0-60 and 2/10 in the 1/4 mile. An exhaust has about the same amount of benefit (in my case, Borla) w/o costing as much, no CEL, and not worried about emissions. But the Borla exhaust with it's slip joints isn't as solid as a stock exhaust and once again, for 1200 bucks, it was 1/10 in 0-60 and another 2/10 in the 1/4. Would I do it again? No. Keep it stock, keep it legal, and also resale is much better for stock cars. If you really want a faster car, save up the money you'd use in mods and buy a faster car.
I respect you for being very objective. I have been saying this for a while. It sounds harsh but its so true.
I said my piece on this awhile ago. I agree with ToothDoc in many ways.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-28-14 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 06:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Yes you have, and repeating it over and over again does not make it so! Lou
Like all of us, I am mentioning what is true from my personal experience . Therefore for me it is absolutely so. Sounds like Im not alone.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-07-14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 10:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^What experience have you had with any exhaust modifications done to your ISF?

I have been modifying exhaust systems on my vehicles since my first car, a 1950 Mercury (bought in 1957) and have never run into any problem that I couldn't solve. My gosh, that's 57 years Man I'm old

The Exhaust Mods on my ISF - PPE Headers and Full PPE Dual Mode Exhaust have been trouble free for me, because the installation was done correctly. I have a friend in town with PPE headers and JoeZ exhaust. He has also had no issues.

Lou
Old 10-09-14, 05:41 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rselby
how many of of these F's are daily drivers?...so no one has rust( the coating on the headers must be of good quality) and happy to not hear of any heat related issues so far! the car is really dependable and don't wanna take away from that with this mod, but there seems to be no bad side effects so far!. keep them coming!
Mine is 100% a DD and again, no issues. The car went from 12.50's in the 1/4 to 12.20's and my mph jumped from 113.X to 117.X. No doubt weather played a roll, but the car is absolutely faster.
Old 10-10-14, 01:44 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the Joe Z and PPE header setup on my daily driver. That being said I don't regret going this route one bit. It makes our V8 lexus sound as mean as it performs, and definitely sets it apart from the ISx50 platforms (which mannnnnnny have confused my IS-F for - until they hear it lol). I'm not crazy about chasing numbers on paper or a track, but if the car looks good, sounds good, and out performs most other cars I come across on spirited drives, I am happy with it.

Perfect example is driving a stock corvette vs. a cammed vette with some headers and exhaust. Same car, totally different sound and driving experience. In the end its your car and your preference of how you want it to sound, drive, look, etc. It made me fall in love with the car all over again every time I hear and drive it though lol!
Old 10-10-14, 03:19 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

^^^^What experience have you had with any exhaust modifications done to your ISF?

I have been modifying exhaust systems on my vehicles since my first car, a 1950 Mercury (bought in 1957) and have never run into any problem that I couldn't solve. My gosh, that's 57 years Man I'm old

The Exhaust Mods on my ISF - PPE Headers and Full PPE Dual Mode Exhaust have been trouble free for me, because the installation was done correctly. I have a friend in town with PPE headers and JoeZ exhaust. He has also had no issues.

Lou
Did the Merc have a flat head V8? I had a guy that worked for me and he had one. I remember the engine bay, huge. I could have fit in it.
Old 10-10-14, 08:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Ford and Mercury used Flathead V8s until 1953, so yes it did. Up until 1954, for some unexplained reason Ford ran the left side exhaust gases out through the front of the manifold and through a pipe in front of the engine to and then through the right side manifold. Talk about exhaust restriction Made no sense to me than and certainly makes no sense to me now. I was in the Air Force when I had my '50 Mercury, and had little money, but correcting that engineering error was first on my list of things to do. And Yes, I made it into a dual exhaust system. In those days we didn't know about "H" and "X" pipes

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Headers and long term reliability-flathead_engine_complete1949-53photo.jpg   Headers and long term reliability-unknown.jpeg  
Old 10-10-14, 10:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^^What experience have you had with any exhaust modifications done to your ISF? I have been modifying exhaust systems on my vehicles since my first car, a 1950 Mercury (bought in 1957) and have never run into any problem that I couldn't solve. My gosh, that's 57 years Man I'm old The Exhaust Mods on my ISF - PPE Headers and Full PPE Dual Mode Exhaust have been trouble free for me, because the installation was done correctly. I have a friend in town with PPE headers and JoeZ exhaust. He has also had no issues. Lou
I got you Lou but I'm talking about mods in general. I have tons of experience in tuning and it always has a negative . Minor or major , there is always a negative to all common mods. In the end you are dumping money into a depreciating asset to make it faster and more you. I totally understand that but as I go through the years and the cars I realize I create most of the frustration with car issues with mods. Tire wear and balancing issues from dropping the car on top of crappy ride. Exhausts all add noise ( kind of the point ), but can bother some. After market wheels and tires never ride or feel like oem. In the end it's all about making a little compromise to make the car yours . What is working well for me is just going the "F" route and letting the engineers do most of the work and I will keep my money . In the end we do what makes us happy with our cars. For me , Lou, it has made me a happier owner just to keep it close to stock. I would do an exhaust but that would about it and even then it will depend if I am willing to make the compromise and deal with the added noise when I don't want to drive fast .

I see and respect your point but I'm sure you can see where tooth doc , Lobux , and I are saying . To each his own. We all just want to be happy and proud owners . I'm just after trouble free motoring
Old 10-11-14, 09:53 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^IMHO, when choosing modifications to do on any vehicle, you must first do your homework and rely on your and others experiences, and the mods should work as a system. Today, it's so much easier to do than it was yesterday. The internet is just a wealth of information. Here's a few of my thoughts on modifications on the ISF:

20" wheels - simply not enough sidewall IMO.

Lowering - I would luv to lower the front a bit, but on investigation, IMO there is simply not a reliable way to do it on an ISF. I have, however, slightly modified the suspension with an F-Sport rear sway bar. A bit stiffer but with my wider tires, better handling.

Spraying - Again, IMO, too risky

Wheels, a Caveat here. I have upgraded my vehicles with wheels in the past, and based on my experiences, there are darn few aftermarket wheels I would even consider, and they are Volk (Rays), BBS, Borbet, and that's about it. Forged of course, and no more than ¾" wider than stock with offsets that closely mirror the OEM wheels. When I upgraded the wheels on my G35, I went with NISMO (Built, of course by Rays). The stock ISF wheels, are pretty good, built by BBS and forged. However they are ½" too narrow. But, it's something I can live with.

Tires - You know my feelings there.

Brakes - I have changed my front rotors to slotted (drilled tend to crack) and I have Ferodo front pads. I chose the pair based on my past experiences, reviews, and the experiences of others. I made a poor choice for my rotor supplier, but in the end it worked out. My braking system is exceptional the Brembo calipers and the Ferodo pads are a match made in heaven. Someday, I may get 2 piece front rotors to reduce weight.

Turbo or Supercharging - I'm very old school here, and I believe for longevity, Normal Aspiration is always best. I know things have come a long way in the last few years, but I'm not there yet.

Flashing an ECU, when done right, this can work wonders. When done wrong, it can mean a disaster.

Intake - Todays stock intakes are pretty good, not like the old days. I have had two intakes on my F, JoeZ (gets rid of the stock resonator) was very good. I now have the Takeda, I think the design idea behind it is very well done.

Headers - Did a lot of homework here, before deciding on PPE. With today's electronics, headers are much tougher to get working right than they were in the past. However, the stock manifolds are so restrictive that IMO, they are screaming to get modded.

Exhaust - Same as headers IMO.

I have had no ill effects from the mods I have done - That's like NONE - NADA. And I'm putting down close to 400HP at the wheels.

In short - My modded ISF is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Long Winded response

Lou
Old 10-27-14, 05:29 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html
I've update post #6 of my build thread with pics of how my exhaust and headers look after 2-2.5 years of use and abuse. The plastics in the engine bay have not been affected at all by the headers, and from what I can see the headers still look brand new.
Old 11-03-14, 11:10 AM
Northevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ppe headers installed by Lexus. I've then installed for 2 northern canadian winters without an issue.