Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What will you do regarding your modded car or future modded car?
I will mod my next car, I don't mind the daily worry.
20.00%
I will not mod my next car, the car is just a tool for me.
20.80%
I will continue to mod my current car and will always be modding cars.
40.00%
I haven't modded nor will I mod my car - I browse CL for the TLN entertainment.
19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Driving a stock car vs modded car. I think I'm keeping my next car stock.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 11:23 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I'll be able to stop modding, but then again my modding has usually been pretty moderate. I really wanted to get a set of AME's for my van, but decided it was better to spend 1/5 as much on the LS wheels. Still stepped up from 15" to 18", but with a lot less damage to the wallet.

My S2000 is also modded, but nothing that doesn't serve a purpose. I have coilovers on both cars, as I think that almost all street suspension is set too high and off-road suspension is too low from the factory (I realize there are compliance issues involved). I'll prob pick up another 4x4Runner in the future, and it will get a 1-2" lift. Again, nothing crazy, but still improved over stock, IMO.

Hell, even if I were to buy a DD Corolla or something, it would have to get springs and a stereo upgrade...but def not anything ghey like a loud exhaust or big rims. It all depends on the car how you intend to use it.
Old 12-27-08, 12:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Interesting question. I've done the extreme with vehicles I've owned - I modded my FJ1100 way back in 1985 to no end - all the way down to lightening the crank, overbore to 1200cc, Keihin CRs, shimmed the gearbox, decked the cylinder block, put 40+ hours into the head alone doing port work, etc, etc. When I was done the bike was ridiculously fast for its time - with my fat 220 lbs on it and geared for top speed not 1/4 mile, it still ran a best of 11.04 @ 126 mph. In 1990, that was pretty impressive for a street legal bike, not to mention I added 12 mph to the top speed (144 - 156).

The only problem was, now it would wheelie at will in three gears. I had to short shift 1st because it would only loop if I stayed in it. Worst of all, the mountain roads I used to ride that I enjoyed were not fun anymore. It took a LOT more concentration and focus just to keep the bike moving, and the places where I'd get a moment to catch my breath (straight sections) disappeared so fast that I couldn't even catch my breath before I was tossing it back in the other direction for the next turn.

Ever since then, I've been a LOT more selective with the mods I've chosen for the machines I've owned. I still like to mod, but now it's with a focus and purpose, not simply "more power" or "better handling" because the vast majority of the time, you can't exploit more power or better handling without being on a closed course.

I have no interest in the latest automotive fashion trends (slamming cars, VIP style tires and wheels, lighting mods, etc.) because they're just fashion statements and fashion is fleeting at best. Fashion has never been a big appeal.

So, in the end, I'll still mod my cars, but I'll be doing it with some consideration for what I really want and without the foolish expectations I had in my 20's and early 30's.
Old 12-27-08, 12:04 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I dumped some money into my 1994 GS300 recently and I find doing so actually saved me money because it cured me of the new car itch. I am about to get the car back from paint and I think I'll enjoy it as much as I would a new car and at 10% of the expense. I like having a car that no one else has and the way to do that is to modify it IMO.
+1 I do minor mods so as to not void factory warranty then whatever I want to further improve factory shortcomings, this helps avoid trading cars often which is always a huge loss
Old 12-27-08, 12:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I never really wanted to mod my car, nor do i think i will. Sure bigger rims would be nice, but the 16's offer a great ride, tint may happen, but i don't know. If i will install anything, it will be one of those wireless rearview cameras or hid lights which both have a legit reason for having and i think, are worth it
Old 12-27-08, 12:17 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very sure that the next car I'll get will not be modded as much as my current car. A few guys here made some valid points that I can relate to. It has been great to mod my car whether it be DIY or someone else having to do it for me plus to see what others have done to their own cars. The next car will have "simple" mods I guess because I want it to be simple or just stock.
Old 12-27-08, 12:32 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with alot of the points here. I myself, do not go overboard with the mods. I mod all/anyof my cars to make it more enjoyable to me and to set mine just slighty apart from the next one. True, modding is an expensive habit, and one that most of us have yet to still overcome. I look at alot of the cars here on the various forums, and think if only money were no object. Unfortunately, for me, it really is a big object; so when I do mod it has to be something I REALLY want or something I just picked up for not so expensive of a price.
Old 12-27-08, 01:15 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

I learned my lesson from my last car. I put tvs, rims, lowering springs and was always doing small mods that after awhile it became a hassle. Then when I sold it I figured I might as well buy a nice car and be done with it. So now I have the IS and I'm always thinking about modding it but then I remember the last car and all the money I spent on it. No more mods for me, its just a car.
Old 12-27-08, 01:29 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

depends on the car...
Old 12-27-08, 01:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I mod mine to be different.

But I tell myself if I want power, boost, handling, and sweet sounding exhausts on my next car, I better save up now and buy a car that comes with all those things instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money to mode those into my current car.
Old 12-27-08, 01:51 PM
LexFather

Great topic and one I now struggle with. I think I will continue to mod my cars but will start with different starting points like an IS-F or buy mostly OEM Lexus parts like F-sport.

Its just a damn hassle when all is said and done. I will do my best to mod my vehicle the "right way" as we have all witnessed more people mod than before and seen some really questionable things done.

The thought of getting another 3GS and modding it like I've done the 2GS kinda makes me cringe!!

I am also with GFerg that priorities have changed.

Old 12-27-08, 01:52 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cliff, you read my mind. I've modded every one of my cars for 20+ years and back then, I felt that I would at least have wheels and lower every car I buy. Recently, I have felt what you stated and I am now looking for a car that would not need modding. In other words, a car that performs and looks decent as stock.

"Young enough to know the right car to buy, yet grown enough not to put rims on it." (albeit his cars are a bit more extravagant that most people can afford)

That's why my car is going back to stock. Anyway, hope all is well Cliff.
Old 12-28-08, 01:53 AM
Ryeno
Banned

It all depeneds on what kind of car you have.

If you want performance only mod your car if you have a supra, sc, 240sx or even an f-body (yes i know i missed a few cars like older muscle cas and such). Any other car its just not worth the cost to power ratio. IDK why people even bother modding hondas.

If you have anything else and what performance, get one of the cars mentioned above. Otherwise, the only mods worth doing are better rims and sound systems. ( and HIDs if your car didnt come with them)
Originally Posted by sc-driver
I see what your saying, I love my modded car but I get really tired of always being careful with it being lowered car, curbing the rims, or watching out for tint tickets.
Thats exactly why I never lower my cars or tint the windows or even worse the tail lights
Originally Posted by GSteg
It really sucks when you add up the bill and then figuring out you're only going to get maybe 35% of what you paid when you sell your mods. Very depressing.
Cars arent investments or like houses; you cant flip them. You should know any mod you make is gonna be for enjoyment purposes only.
Originally Posted by JonSC4
I hate having to worry about it and it's just too expensive to do it the right way.
Thats why i believe if you dont have the money to do something, DONT DO IT.

I've seen a good number of sc's in the for sale section because the person couldnt afford the modifications they made.

Last edited by Ryeno; 12-28-08 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-28-08, 07:19 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

You're getting old Cliffy!

I mod less as I age. I have noticed though that if you buy something interesting to begin with that you won't have to do much of anything to enjoy it. Lexus are very nice, but most are bland as potato salad. Modded they become amazing machines. Mercedes on the other hand are attractive and sporty out of the box and you don't usually do too much to them. My CLK430 for instance, is still bone stock after over 2 yrs of owing it. I've modded the HELL out of everything I have ever owned except this car. I like it the way it is and I am content. Same could be said for most BMW's. They look great out of the box and are very sporty, however BMW has been throwing some bland in the ingredients of the looks department on some models for the last few years so a set of wheels is usually all they need to spice it up. Lexus being a more conservative company, the body is not usually flared much or cut exotically so they are more prone to need mods to be "interesting" IMO.

If you wan to buy a car and not mod it, just buy one that is interesting to being with, there are quite a few.
Old 12-28-08, 08:37 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I came to the conclusion 2 years ago that I will no longer throw 20K+ into a car ever again. My view is similar to others in this thread. My next car will not need much modding....but neither do my present car. It's just not what I prefer as a car. I loved my G35 but the seat was horrible. The G37 has a nicer seat and I should have waited for it to come out. The GS350 is just too soft for me but it is what it is and I'm not going to spend gobs of money to make it handle like a sport car. I'll enjoy the luxury sport....with emphasis on luxury, then get that G37 or Audi S5 when my money is right.

My old SC300 became a pest to drive. Always worrying about hurting the kit...that thing needed repairing too many times. Banging the tires against the fender became a nuisance. Yes, curbing the wheels is a constant issue.

But, I will always get wheels cause I want my car to look differently than the other hundred I see on the streets. I may go back down to 19's because they are better for daily driving. My wife's car has 19's and I enjoy driving her car more than mine. Mild drops are fine and I will continue that. Beefing the music will also continue but nothing elaborate. That's about it. That's all that's really needed.

I think the best thing is to have enough money for different moods.
-A nice daily driver that can handle all road and environmental conditions.
-A lightly modded sporty car for occasional spirited driving. Something that comes from the factory with enough power to get the job done.
-A play toy that you can mod the heck out of. It can be either a show car or a track car, whatever floats your boat.
-A big family vehicle.

This is the garage I want.

Last edited by Ice350; 12-28-08 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-28-08, 09:26 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
I have learned to not go overboard. For example, I can NEVER go full out slammed, cambered, stretched tires on super aggressive offsets. Another example is the drop. I am all about fender gap reduction but don't need the car to drive 2 inches off the ground. Although nothing wrong with it for the guys that enjoy it, I want to mod the car enough for it to be unique but not at the expense of the car's usefulness.

For cars that I drive, I will continue to mod them, but only for daily driving use.
I agree, I think it's about balance. Mods are fun and I like how you can make your car into something better (or perhaps just more to your personal specifications).

For me, I can't mod to a point where it will affect my ability to actually drive the car; the mod wasn't a good idea if all it did was get me a ride in a flat-deck tow-truck.

The other thing I always consider when I'm thinking about mods is at what point should I really just buy a better car. If doing mod x leads to essentially having to also do mod y & z, then maybe it's time to just switch cars.

Last edited by Faymester; 12-28-08 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Driving a stock car vs modded car. I think I'm keeping my next car stock.