IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Melted Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 03:27 PM
ImranSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted Bumper

Hey so I was at a track day and afterwards noticed the plastic above my exhaust diffusers melted! I'm trying to find out why it happened. I can think of two reasons:

1) It is an aftermarket bumper cover with aftermarket exhaust diffusers. I'm thinking the diffusers are made of a different material than the oem ones, that don't dissipate the heat as well?

2) I have the secondary cats and mufflers deleted and the single exhaust tips on each side feed into the top portion of the exhaust diffuser. Would it be advantageous to get an exhaust shop to point the exhaust to the lower exhaust diffuser?

Also, I changed my brake pads at the track and as soon as I changed them they started making a loud intermittent noise where the old pads were doing no such thing. Kind of like an intermittent scraping noise (but loud). \More pronounced when I'm OFF the brakes and the pitch changes with speed.. Could it be that my rotors were already warped and because I replaced the pads with thicker pads, they are now making contact with the warped rotors where the old (thinner) pads weren't?
Old 05-24-14, 03:43 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Not sure about the break pad issue but as for the exhaust, perhaps after the muffler delete the single outlet was either positioned too high or angled upward slightly causing the exhaust to flow above the diffuser.

Edit: I missed the aftermarket part - your assumption may be correct as well. I didn't know there were aftermarket bumper and exhaust diffusers available. Also the stock diffusers are attached to the bumper with a sort of fiber washer which would insulate against heat from direct contact.

Last edited by Sean; 05-24-14 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-25-14, 06:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

No your rotors are not warped, rotors don't warp. Did you bed the pads you used for the track? Are they the same compound as the pads you had previously? Is this on all four wheels, two wheels or just one?
Old 05-25-14, 01:54 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a single tip outlet exhaust that was slightly misaligned with the oem rear bumper/tips and it started to melt the plastic opening. It didn't look misaligned until I layed under the car and saw it left of center by a few inches. Def check your exhaust
Old 05-26-14, 05:20 AM
ImranSF
Driver School Candidate

So rotors are not warped, it was the anti rattle clip that wasn't put on properly on one of the wheels. Problem solved.

And yea looks like the exhaust is pointed at the top diffuser but at a slightly upwards angle, that looks like it'll do it. Time for a new bumper cover and re-angled exhaust!
Old 05-26-14, 09:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Got pics of all the bumper problems ??

Joe Z