IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Screw it...getting 2nd cat/muffler delete this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 12:19 PM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Btw I still have my rear section of my stock exhaust with the muffler delete. I plan to sell it when I get chance, I figure someone could use it to see if they like the delete option. If not you can always put ur old rear section back on. Since I don't have CL status to sell it here yet, does anyone know of any good ISF sites to listed it at?
Old 05-25-13, 12:20 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well went to get this done and I have to say that I'm not sure why people give JE Import so much praise here. I was told with the sway bar it would be about $600 when I dropped the car off, then I was called and told that parts weren't included in that quote and it would be about $957 with tax!!! Unbelievable that they wanted to charge me $300 in parts and $300 in labor to do a freakin MUFFLER AND CAT DELETE! Needless to say I told them there was no way that was happening so my car is still stock (though I do have a sikky rear sway in the trunk)

One of my friends who had an E90 M3 (till his bro totaled it) called up his tuner who said he could easily do it with 3 hours of labor vs the 4 that JE quoted me plus whatever the parts would cost so I'm going to be bringing it to him next Sat. This guy used to be an aircraft welder so I'm pretty sure he will be able to do an even better job than those crooks in Baltimore.
Old 05-25-13, 09:55 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paid $40 bucks to get my cat/muffler delete. Cali shops ftw
Old 05-25-13, 10:07 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

defend your exhaust's honor vj
Old 05-27-13, 09:10 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
To each their own. Almost every single F has joe-z/borla/ISS. Muffler/cat delete is a unique and raw sound, and it doesn't sound cheap at all. I get compliments from everyone, supercar and sports car owners alike.

A stock ISF left you by TWO car lengths? Jeez, you must be the needle in the haystack. Were you in Sport + M mode with VSC/traction off, while shifting after the beep? The car is nearly 60lb lighter and has restrictive components of the exhaust removed. If you looked through the OEM mufflers and secondary cats you can see how restrictive they are.
As you said, to each his own. IMO, it sounds like crap compared to any other option (i.e. stock or any aftermarket exhaust). It's not a clean sound. It sounds like a cheap visceral sound. Like an old muscle car that has a hole in the muffler. It's a touch too loud and broken sounding to me. Boardline obnoxious.

And it was my F we compared against. At the time, all I had was a Joe-Z intake. The difference was very disconcerting. The pulling ability felt in mine just wasn't there in his. It felt choked off and restricted. I would not recommend the muffler delete to anyone concerned about the performance of the car.

Muffler delete = rice can .... = please don't, it's annoying.

Last edited by melbitoast; 05-27-13 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-27-13, 09:15 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCM83
Well went to get this done and I have to say that I'm not sure why people give JE Import so much praise here. I was told with the sway bar it would be about $600 when I dropped the car off, then I was called and told that parts weren't included in that quote and it would be about $957 with tax!!! Unbelievable that they wanted to charge me $300 in parts and $300 in labor to do a freakin MUFFLER AND CAT DELETE! Needless to say I told them there was no way that was happening so my car is still stock (though I do have a sikky rear sway in the trunk)

One of my friends who had an E90 M3 (till his bro totaled it) called up his tuner who said he could easily do it with 3 hours of labor vs the 4 that JE quoted me plus whatever the parts would cost so I'm going to be bringing it to him next Sat. This guy used to be an aircraft welder so I'm pretty sure he will be able to do an even better job than those crooks in Baltimore.
Jesus bro! You could get the sway bar for $155 from Sewell and install yourself in an hour!
Old 05-27-13, 09:40 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
As you said, to each his own. IMO, it sounds like crap compared to any other option (i.e. stock or any aftermarket exhaust). It's not a clean sound. It sounds like a cheap visceral sound. Like an old muscle car that has a hole in the muffler. It's a touch too loud and broken sounding to me. Boardline obnoxious.

And it was my F we compared against. At the time, all I had was a Joe-Z intake. The difference was very disconcerting. The pulling ability felt in mine just wasn't there in his. It felt choked off and restricted. I would not recommend the muffler delete to anyone concerned about the performance of the car.

muffler delete = rice can???!! can't believe i just heard that.

had the muffler delete before my joe z. muffler delete sounds better to me and all of my friends. but i wanted the joe z/ header combo sound so had to go with the joe Z.

no one please believe that the muffler delete is a rice can sound. that's just absurd.
Old 05-27-13, 09:41 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Jesus bro! You could get the sway bar for $155 from Sewell and install yourself in an hour!
sewell does't sell sikky products and JE got the cheapest price on sikky rear sway bar.
Old 05-27-13, 11:35 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol people can say whatever they want. Gives me satisfaction when I get compliments from car enthusiasts that hear the car in person.
Old 05-27-13, 08:49 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

a v8 monster eating a godzilla for lunch rice can.
but you are generalizing. some muffler deletes might sound like that but definitely not all
Old 05-28-13, 04:41 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Not sure why we are having this conversation again... The performance of my car when it had a secondary cat/muffler delete pretty much shut everyone up the first time. I understand that everyone has their own preferences, but don't demean another persons choices because of your own bias mindset.

@melbitoast Does this sound like a rice Can???
Old 05-28-13, 05:06 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
muffler delete = rice can???!! can't believe i just heard that.

had the muffler delete before my joe z. muffler delete sounds better to me and all of my friends. but i wanted the joe z/ header combo sound so had to go with the joe Z.

no one please believe that the muffler delete is a rice can sound. that's just absurd.
Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Not sure why we are having this conversation again... The performance of my car when it had a secondary cat/muffler delete pretty much shut everyone up the first time. I understand that everyone has their own preferences, but don't demean another persons choices because of your own bias mindset.

@melbitoast Does this sound like a rice Can???
MrSlay 1/4 - YouTube
Let me be clear. I'm not saying muffle deletes sound like rice cans. I'm saying they are just as annoying as rice cans. Again, if that's your thing, fine. I'm glad you enjoy it. Some of us just have different tastes and preferences, like beer.

And Slay, YT videos never do justice to the true sound, so I can't really give opinion on the sound of your car. Perhaps, there are "better" muffle deletes than others that don't sound as bad as the ones I've heard. I'm just giving my opinion based on my experience.

Last edited by melbitoast; 05-28-13 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 05:10 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
sewell does't sell sikky products and JE got the cheapest price on sikky rear sway bar.
ah, didn't know you went the Sikky route.