IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Opinions on TC105N setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 05:40 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Opinions on TC105N setup

I wanted to get opinions on this combination to increase grip and lighten rotational weight. I have thought through many combinations, including a squared setup, but ultimately I think something like this would meet my wants and desires best…what do you think?

Wedssport TC105N wheels – Michelin PSS tires – Figs 2 piece rotors:
- FRONT - 18x8.5 +43 - 255/40R18 (16.5 lbs per wheel – 25 lbs per tire – 20.5 lbs per rotor)
- REAR - 18x9.0 +50 - 285/35R18 (17 lbs per wheel - 28 lbs per tire – 17.5 lbs per rotor)
- Total rotational weight: 249 lbs

Stock BBS wheels – Bridgestone RE50A tires – Stock rotors
- FRONT – 19x8 +45 – 225/40R19 (23 lbs per wheel – 25 lbs per tire – 27.5 lbs per rotor)
- REAR – 19x9 +55 – 255/35R19 (26 lbs per wheel – 27 lbs per tire – 22 lbs per rotor)
- Total rotational weight: 301 lbs
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on TC105N setup-wedssport-tc105n-1.jpg  
Old 03-29-13, 07:31 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're reducing rotational mass but you're putting tires that are generally too wide for the wheel.

FYI, a 255 is a "square" size for a x9 wheel. Not only will your sidewall be massive with a 35 series 285 tire, your tires will be bubbly due to the wheel size. Your choice though but its really not clear what your end goal is..
Old 03-29-13, 08:02 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFpat
You're reducing rotational mass but you're putting tires that are generally too wide for the wheel.

FYI, a 255 is a "square" size for a x9 wheel. Not only will your sidewall be massive with a 35 series 285 tire, your tires will be bubbly due to the wheel size. Your choice though but its really not clear what your end goal is..
The fronts would not be too wide for the wheels. The rears would be mounted on wheels .5" narrower than the manufacturer's recommendation, but multiple people have mounted 285/30R19 tires on stock rear wheels without issue...an inch shorter wheels should even lessen any problems from that width. My end goal is greater performance. When I mentioned a squared setup, I was referring to the same size tires on all four corners. Yes, the sidewall will be larger than stock, but I don't like riding on rubber bands and I want to maximize the car's capabilities.
Old 03-29-13, 08:36 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
The fronts would not be too wide for the wheels. The rears would be mounted on wheels .5" narrower than the manufacturer's recommendation, but multiple people have mounted 285/30R19 tires on stock rear wheels without issue...an inch shorter wheels should even lessen any problems from that width. My end goal is greater performance. When I mentioned a squared setup, I was referring to the same size tires on all four corners. Yes, the sidewall will be larger than stock, but I don't like riding on rubber bands and I want to maximize the car's capabilities.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Manufacturer's recommendation doesn't mean squat. They are not putting specs on it for performance or optimization.. you want performance you do what street tire based race cars use. Smaller diameter wheels will lessen weight but weight does not equate to grip. The benefit of using smaller wheels is to base it in conjunction with smaller sidewall tires which shortens the gear speed of your car.

I did not mention squared setup, I said a squared tire as in the tire width proportionality matches the width of the wheel.

In AutoX, people put 275's on x8 wheels.. only because the class regulates the width of the wheel not the tire. But no other circumstance will that benefit the end user because you have a choice. And by choice means if you can run a wider tire.. then run a wider wheel. I can almost guarantee those same wheels if made in 18x10 or even a 18x12 will out perform your 18x9 with the same sized tire on either wheels at the track. Unsprung weight is a whole lot, but grip determines a big portion of performance and a wider wheel (as well as a wider tire) will give you more grip.

And btw, only hot rods or muscle cars run fat tires and small width wheels.. everyone else uses wide wheels.
Old 03-30-13, 09:45 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

^^^Thanks. I hope a few others will chime in too. I would much prefer to go wider, my only problem is nobody makes wider light 18" wheels or even 19" wheels with conservative enough offsets for our cars. I have considered getting custom 18" monoblock wheels like the ones below from BC forged through Figs, but am not sure I want to spend another $1500 over the price I could get on the TC105Ns (The BCs would still be much less than other custom wheels). With the BC Forged wheels I could get whatever offsets I wanted...I would probably go for 18x9.5 +45 front and 18x11 +60 rear and mount 265/40R18 & 295/35R18 Continental DW tires or something like that. Unfortunately Michelin PSS doesn't have wider than 285mm for 18" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on TC105N setup-rs31-sx.jpg   Opinions on TC105N setup-rs40-gmx.jpg   Opinions on TC105N setup-rt51-mgmx.jpg   Opinions on TC105N setup-rs43x.jpg  

Last edited by Gymkata; 03-30-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-30-13, 10:51 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the purpose of seeking the reduced weight? Are you looking for a setup that will help you around a road course, drag race, or just all around daily performance?
Old 03-30-13, 01:09 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Whats the purpose of seeking the reduced weight? Are you looking for a setup that will help you around a road course, drag race, or just all around daily performance?
I mainly want increased all around daily performance. I don't have as much grip as I would like front or back. I am thinking of 18" wheels because they are lighter, but also because I take a few poor quality back roads to work every day, and wouldn't mind a taller side wall for them. Of course if I went with a 19" wheel I could mount Michelin PSS tires on them in the sizes I want, which would be nice. The only problem is BC Forged doesn't make 19" monoblock wheels as far as I know. I personally would prefer not to get a 2 or 3 piece wheel. Maybe we should retitle this thread to "After years of thinking about it Gymkata still can't make up his mind"
Old 03-31-13, 06:22 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

I have another question for any wheel gurus out there. While looking at some Volk wheels I noticed that available offsets have a second number in parenthesis next to them. Does this mean that the second number is a potential offset as well? I have posted a snapshot. Specifically I am wondering if you can get the Volk G2 in 19x10.5 +59...the number in parenthesis next to 10.5" +30. I don't imagine the number in parenthesis is an available offset because I have never seen anybody running Volk wheels with those offsets and I have never seen them offered on any vendor sites...just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on TC105N setup-volk-g2-specs.jpg  
Old 03-31-13, 04:27 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I mainly want increased all around daily performance. I don't have as much grip as I would like front or back. I am thinking of 18" wheels because they are lighter, but also because I take a few poor quality back roads to work every day, and wouldn't mind a taller side wall for them. Of course if I went with a 19" wheel I could mount Michelin PSS tires on them in the sizes I want, which would be nice. The only problem is BC Forged doesn't make 19" monoblock wheels as far as I know. I personally would prefer not to get a 2 or 3 piece wheel. Maybe we should retitle this thread to "After years of thinking about it Gymkata still can't make up his mind"
Based on what your looking for, I would find the tires first. Once you know the exact sizes your going to use, you can just shop around for the wheel. I used this process with my Drag Radial setup and the product was great.

I would take a look at the RPF01 from eneki If i were going to switch to an 18'' setup.
Old 03-31-13, 05:42 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's a sick wheel
Old 03-31-13, 10:24 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darbs242
I think it's a sick wheel
Same here. Love the wheel.
Old 03-31-13, 11:02 PM
esc
Driver School Candidate

I have another question for any wheel gurus out there. While looking at some Volk wheels I noticed that available offsets have a second number in parenthesis next to them. Does this mean that the second number is a potential offset as well? I have posted a snapshot. Specifically I am wondering if you can get the Volk G2 in 19x10.5 +59...the number in parenthesis next to 10.5" +30. I don't imagine the number in parenthesis is an available offset because I have never seen anybody running Volk wheels with those offsets and I have never seen them offered on any vendor sites...just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.
I could be wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere on the volk site that the number in parentheses are the lip sizes. It's too bad because a +52 on a 10.5 wheel would be great.
Old 03-31-13, 11:56 PM
PrezJay
Driver

I really like the wheels you posted. I just wish they made them in 19s
Old 04-01-13, 06:15 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by esc
I could be wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere on the volk site that the number in parentheses are the lip sizes. It's too bad because a +52 on a 10.5 wheel would be great.
Yes after looking around some more I'm pretty sure you are right.
Old 04-01-13, 08:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Based on what your looking for, I would find the tires first. Once you know the exact sizes your going to use, you can just shop around for the wheel. I used this process with my Drag Radial setup and the product was great.

I would take a look at the RPF01 from eneki If i were going to switch to an 18'' setup.
SCCAForums said the brake clearance on the RPF-01s is inadequate. The PF-01s clear and are available in decent widths with a workable offset if mechanical performance is your primary goal for your 18" setup.

Quick Reply: Opinions on TC105N setup