IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Blackstone UOA Thread - Post Your UOA HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 12:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

No midway filter change anymore. I've been running straight 12k on oil and filter as long as you can see on the report. Early on I was doing a filter change, but there is no evidence to support this method being better than leaving the filter alone. I use the YZZ filters from Toyota/Lexus, not the IS-F specific filter and regular Mobil 1 5w-30. I am a bit disappointed in the formula change in Mobil 1. You can clearly see it in the calcium and magnesium results where the numbers changed dramatically. This is the first time I've suffered low viscosity though. I really don't want to change brands, but if I keep seeing this kind of viscosity issue, I might cut my OCI back to 10k.
Old 01-24-15, 02:54 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No midway filter change anymore. I've been running straight 12k on oil and filter as long as you can see on the report. Early on I was doing a filter change, but there is no evidence to support this method being better than leaving the filter alone. I use the YZZ filters from Toyota/Lexus, not the IS-F specific filter and regular Mobil 1 5w-30. I am a bit disappointed in the formula change in Mobil 1. You can clearly see it in the calcium and magnesium results where the numbers changed dramatically. This is the first time I've suffered low viscosity though. I really don't want to change brands, but if I keep seeing this kind of viscosity issue, I might cut my OCI back to 10k.
Thanks Lance! I've been doing 5k on the mobile 1 and factory filter. I'll give the YZZ ones a shot and try it for about 10k next. Do you know anything about the mobile 1 extended use? It says guaranteed to run to 15k miles. Do you think there would be any benefit over standard mobile 1 if running the extended use one to about 10-12k miles? Its only a few bucks more per 5qt container at walmart.
Old 01-24-15, 04:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

They only add a little more zinc to the extended use stuff. I don't and won't run it. There is no need when I am doing UOA on every oil change.

This last change I installed a
Fumoto valve Fumoto valve
in place of the drain plug, so I can pull samples any time I want. I might try a sample at 10k just to check the viscosity and see if it is degraded at 10k too.
Old 01-24-15, 08:35 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

They only add a little more zinc to the extended use stuff. I don't and won't run it. There is no need when I am doing UOA on every oil change.

This last change I installed a Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug, so I can pull samples any time I want. I might try a sample at 10k just to check the viscosity and see if it is degraded at 10k too.
Thanks for the info! Post up your results if you end up doing it at 10k Thanks again!
Old 01-26-15, 10:48 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This last change I installed a Fumoto valve in place of the drain plug, so I can pull samples any time I want. I might try a sample at 10k just to check the viscosity and see if it is degraded at 10k too.
I love Fumoto's and have them on several vehicles. Mostly on diesel powered cars/trucks we own for sampling purposes as well. One will go on my F I am sure at the first change.

I haven't had the opportunity to peruse the Fumoto site, but am I correct to assume the F106N (or 106 if you happen to prefer nipple-less) in the link is correct for the F?

Blackstone has enlightened me on the true content of my oil for a lot of years, everything from blown big block Chevrolets to 6.0 IH/Navistar diesels, definitely money well spent.
Old 01-27-15, 05:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I bought the 106N, but the 106 works fine too.
Old 01-28-15, 10:20 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought the 106N, but the 106 works fine too.
Thanks. Ordered.
Old 01-29-15, 09:36 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Bought my 08 in May of 14 with 39k. Performed my first oil change at approx 44k, unaware of what oil was used before, but it wasn't synthetic. Moved to Mobil 1 and plan on staying there. Here's mine, lookin' good so far!

The following users liked this post:
phm14 (10-16-18)
Old 01-29-15, 09:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW this is pretty cool stuff. A little over my head but as long as I track mine as well and all seems ok with the rest, I think I can sleep at night knowing Im ok.
Old 01-29-15, 10:22 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Shouldn't the sample be taken midway through the full oil drain/stream for the most accurate results? You've gotten quite a few of these and me only one, just checking on your thoughts on this.

edit: Me for example drained approx 5 quarts before I captured my sample.
Old 01-29-15, 02:30 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Hey Lance, does the oil maintenance warning illuminate based on a preset time frame, mileage, or does it detect when the oil is actually dirty?
Old 01-30-15, 09:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Shouldn't the sample be taken midway through the full oil drain/stream for the most accurate results? You've gotten quite a few of these and me only one, just checking on your thoughts on this.

edit: Me for example drained approx 5 quarts before I captured my sample.
The key is, don't take a bottom sample. Let it run a few seconds first. I've taken samples from the filter housing and from the drain plug (when I was changing the filter at 5k miles). There no indication either is appreciably different.
Old 07-13-15, 10:22 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,513 Likes on 656 Posts

Did my 2nd oil change and here is the report. First sample is factory oil, changed @ ~3500miles and second sample is Amsoil 5W30 with ~6000miles.I will most likely go 8000miles before the next change.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 07-14-15 at 08:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
phm14 (10-16-18)
Old 07-13-15, 11:37 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Guys,

Interesting stuff.

What I find interesting is UK servicing is every year or 10K miles, not 5K like you guys seem to be doing?

I know we run better quality fuel here (mine is run purely on 99 octane or higher), but I've not had any issues so far.

I will probably half that if I start tracking the F more often though.

Force of habit from when I had my single turbo Supra!

For some odd reason we don't do much oil analysis over this side of the pond?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-14-15, 08:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Actually your fuel and our fuel are pretty close to the same. Your octane measurement is different than the US method, so the numbers are higher, but if you use the same methodology, they measure out to be nearly identical. The thing to look for in your fuel is called sensitivity. It is a measure between motor and research numbers (your numbers are research, not motor, ours are (R+M)/2). Sensitivity can vary dramatically from brand to brand depending on the components of the fuel.

There's a pretty long discussion called the gasoline FAQ by Bruce Hamilton. It's a bit long in the tooth now, but the fundamentals have not changed in a very long time, so it's a really solid read if you want to understand the hydrocarbon cocktail you are feeding your precious one.

In the real world, the only thing an engine builder cares about is the motor number. It is determined using an engine under heavy load, so it best replicates the conditions a competition engine must survive.

But none of this has anything to do with oil service life. Ring fit and the resultant blowby, average drive cycle time, and typical atmospheric conditions where you live have a lot more to do with your oil's service life than anything else.

Quick Reply: Blackstone UOA Thread - Post Your UOA HERE!