IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 09:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!

Trying to install front lip and we have three big holes in front that do not line up with any holes in the body. Instructions are in Japanese . Anyone have any ideas .
Attached Thumbnails Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!-photo320.jpg   Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!-photo907.jpg   Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!-photo441.jpg  
Old 12-03-16, 05:20 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ti it was mine...I would just make holes in those locations and use a bolt and washers( big ones ) and a nut ....which may require removing bumper cover....but u don't want to loose this at speed....its a nice lip
Old 12-03-16, 05:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rselby
ti it was mine...I would just make holes in those locations and use a bolt and washers( big ones ) and a nut ....which may require removing bumper cover....but u don't want to loose this at speed....its a nice lip
I appreciate your input bro. I'm realizing that it may require more work than I can do. The body shop wanted to add screws and urethane it too. At this point I see where the estimate they gave me came from
Attached Thumbnails Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!-photo541.jpg   Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!-photo693.jpg  
Old 12-03-16, 07:30 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I appreciate your input bro. I'm realizing that it may require more work than I can do. The body shop wanted to add screws and urethane it too. At this point I see where the estimate they gave me came from
all that garage space...and decor. You're lucky man
Old 12-03-16, 10:08 PM
KRISH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my bumper off and drilled 3 holes in my bumper to align with the 3 big holes in the front part of the lip. Then you you need to drill 2 smaller holes to the left and right of each big hole in the bumper to attach the metal bracket shown in diagram #2 of the first pic you posted.
Old 12-04-16, 08:21 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KRISH
I took my bumper off and drilled 3 holes in my bumper to align with the 3 big holes in the front part of the lip. Then you you need to drill 2 smaller holes to the left and right of each big hole in the bumper to attach the metal bracket shown in diagram #2 of the first pic you posted.
I did exactly this, except I left the bumper on. It would be WAY easier removing the bumper to do this install. The LH and RH little metal brackets were easy to drill for, even with the bumper on. The centre bracket however, took me probably an hour, because space is tight. Also, if you have the headlight washers, watch out for the supply hose that runs along where you'll be drilling.
Also, I would recommend taping off around where the edge of the TOMS lip will be. The edges of the lip are pretty sharp, and as you're test fitting/installing, may scratch your paint.

-R

Last edited by FNSSESPORT; 12-04-16 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-04-16, 08:47 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used 3 self tapping screws for those spots, similar to what Lexus uses with the built in washer, you can also drill a large hole and use a heavy duty plug similar to what is used to hold on the rear mud flap that sits in front of the back tire.
Old 12-05-16, 07:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMV8
all that garage space...and decor. You're lucky man
Originally Posted by KRISH
Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
I did exactly this, except I left the bumper on. It would be WAY easier removing the bumper to do this install. The LH and RH little metal brackets were easy to drill for, even with the bumper on. The centre bracket however, took me probably an hour, because space is tight. Also, if you have the headlight washers, watch out for the supply hose that runs along where you'll be drilling.
Also, I would recommend taping off around where the edge of the TOMS lip will be. The edges of the lip are pretty sharp, and as you're test fitting/installing, may scratch your paint.

-R
Originally Posted by ZaxF
I used 3 self tapping screws for those spots, similar to what Lexus uses with the built in washer, you can also drill a large hole and use a heavy duty plug similar to what is used to hold on the rear mud flap that sits in front of the back tire.
Thanks so much for all the replies guys. After seeing the rear diffuser on I don't think I can wait much longer for the rest. Was going to do a track day in 2 weeks but may skip it and get the F in the shop for the other 5 pieces
Attached Thumbnails Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!-photo598.jpg   Need HELP installing Tom's front lip !!!!!!!!!-photo507.jpg  
Old 12-05-16, 11:42 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks great on MRM, Tammer! Can't wait to see you attack the road courses next year!