IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

battery issue or more?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 01:31 PM
darkraijin
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default battery issue or more?

Afternoon members. Recently my ISF a 2011 wont start. Clearly dealer who sold me the car said they did some 360 point inspection and OEM Panasonic battery from Japan to be replaced with a new one was not on the list. Anywho, got the optima battery. Dropped it in and still the car wont start.
What it is doing now which it was not doing before battery change
1) With Key fab i can open the doors.
Below some pix of what happens when I sit in and try to push the start button which does go 'Red' light instead of green.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I've also tried this thread already. By try i mean doing the steps of resetting my EUC.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ervations.html

Not sure if this is a big issue or a small one but I'm neither impressed with the service of dealer NOR with Lexus has done. Clearly this is a premium vehicle. Should there NOT be a batter low indicator. Guess I'm being over upset and it could be a small easy fix.
Worse case senario I've fixed a time for next week to have the car towed to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails battery issue or more?-20160313_160527.jpg   battery issue or more?-20160313_160529.jpg  
Old 03-13-16, 01:54 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very basic steps but just to verify:

1) looks like you are in P - so that is good

2) press very hard on the brake pedal before start (it probably is already very stiff)

3) try to do the above with placing your remote face on beside the start button (physically touching) / or try your other remote - perhaps the fob battery is on its last legs of juice
Old 03-13-16, 03:15 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkraijin
Afternoon members. Recently my ISF a 2011 wont start. Clearly dealer who sold me the car said they did some 360 point inspection and OEM Panasonic battery from Japan to be replaced with a new one was not on the list. Anywho, got the optima battery. Dropped it in and still the car wont start.
What it is doing now which it was not doing before battery change
1) With Key fab i can open the doors.
Below some pix of what happens when I sit in and try to push the start button which does go 'Red' light instead of green.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I've also tried this thread already. By try i mean doing the steps of resetting my EUC.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ervations.html

Not sure if this is a big issue or a small one but I'm neither impressed with the service of dealer NOR with Lexus has done. Clearly this is a premium vehicle. Should there NOT be a batter low indicator. Guess I'm being over upset and it could be a small easy fix.
Worse case senario I've fixed a time for next week to have the car towed to the dealer.
When you press the start button and the car does not start, check the screen in the gauges, do you get a message? if it says "key not detected" then you need to put the L symbol of the fob to the start button and try.. if it says "Depress brake pedal to start" then you need to press REALLY hard down on the brake pedal
Old 03-13-16, 03:26 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Change the batteries in the Key FOB, that might do the trick if the car's battery is brand new.

If the key fob battery is low, it won't send the signal to the computer.....
Old 03-14-16, 04:29 AM
darkraijin
Driver School Candidate

ok Thank you all for the input. What fixed the issue was as stated above.
1) Press the break pedal really hard.
2) Move the gear from P to N and then back to P.
3) Hit the start button and the car started up.
This was done to the ISF by one of my neighbors who owns a CTS-V.
Key fob battery was good as stated above. As my keyless entry started to work after i had swapped out for new battery (that goes under the hood) not key fob batter.
Well hope it helps anyone else that runs into this issue.
Old 03-14-16, 07:27 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by darkraijin
ok Thank you all for the input. What fixed the issue was as stated above.
1) Press the break pedal really hard.
2) Move the gear from P to N and then back to P.
3) Hit the start button and the car started up.
This was done to the ISF by one of my neighbors who owns a CTS-V.
Key fob battery was good as stated above. As my keyless entry started to work after i had swapped out for new battery (that goes under the hood) not key fob batter.
Well hope it helps anyone else that runs into this issue.
Does the car start normally now without having to do this?
Old 03-14-16, 08:52 AM
darkraijin
Driver School Candidate

yes it does.
Old 03-14-16, 10:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

If you had to move the shifter to make this work, there is something wrong with the switch on the gearbox telling the ECM you are in park. You should never have to move the shifter to start the car regardless of removing the battery. I have never experienced this or seen this with any Toyota product.
Old 03-14-16, 10:47 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Anytime I see someone is from Florida, I think of corrosion issues. Salt air and electrical connections don't do well together. If I had a car near the Florida coast, I would find an electrical contact spray that would protect connections from corrosion. I'm guessing the removal and cleaning of the neutral safety switch or gear selector switch will help.

Even though I live well inland, but also in a damp climate, I keep a tube of "Bulb Grease" in all my tool boxes and use it every time I take a plug or connection apart. Usually bad grounds are the problem, but tracking them down is very difficult.

Met a guy once that bought a nice RV motor coach from florida. His electrical issues were in a league all by themselves. Only answer was to remove and clean ALL of them.

Loren
Old 03-14-16, 11:33 AM
darkraijin
Driver School Candidate

I also had tried to reset the EUC as stated above but that was no help. The guide of it was helpful though.
I was pretty upset and running the case: If I was out of town or on the road and battery died. I get a jump start and then pull up to an auto part get it changed and car does not start.
Battery swaps are just that you laugh that you lost all your radio presets. Re-set them and truck along.
Whole reason I got a lexus is because born and raised on Toyota. Definition of dependability. Still my daily beater is a corolla. Day in day out with long drives on weekends.
Well still expecting smooth sail from here out till next disaster happens. Waiting and watching now.
Old 03-14-16, 11:39 AM
darkraijin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you had to move the shifter to make this work, there is something wrong with the switch on the gearbox telling the ECM you are in park. You should never have to move the shifter to start the car regardless of removing the battery. I have never experienced this or seen this with any Toyota product.
Had shifter issue with Camry, Corolla and now ISF. I guess. Both my parents have Camry and have had shifter issues over past. I had them with my corolla as well. I guess i have a nack to attract shifter toyotas
Old 03-14-16, 12:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

See Lorenr's post. I think he's hit the nail on the head.

I chose not to move to Patrick AFB when I was in the Air Force specifically because I didn't want everything I owned to be subject to salt air corrosion. I spent 17 of my 20 Air Force years in Sacramento where corrosion is almost non-existent.
Old 03-14-16, 07:44 PM
2URGSE
Racer

The manual guide suggests replacing the key fob battery every 2 years.....although they seem to last longer.
Old 03-14-16, 07:59 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

That's not a disaster, batteries die all the time, you could've tried the other key fob and also everything is in the manual, one of the first things you should get to know and it also states what you should in the case you are on a road trip and keyfob battery failure occurs. The dealer shouldve replaced the batteries for you prior to sale granted you bought the car from a Lexus dealer, however at no offense to you it seems to me like this was more of a user error that could've all been avoided.
Old 03-14-16, 08:08 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by k20trick
That's not a disaster, batteries die all the time, you could've tried the other key fob and also everything is in the manual, one of the first things you should get to know and it also states what you should in the case you are on a road trip and keyfob battery failure occurs. The dealer shouldve replaced the batteries for you prior to sale granted you bought the car from a Lexus dealer, however at no offense to you it seems to me like this was more of a user error that could've all been avoided.
Most dealers aren't that detail orientated, heck, they can't even manage to do an oil change correctly on this car without screwing something up, LOL

He probably didn't think about it at that time....no big deal. It's all a learning experience.