IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joez Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 12:17 AM
isfstuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joez Exhaust Question

Hey guys, first thing i gotta say is the JoeZ exhaust sounds great on the ISF and that videos certainly do not do the car any justice. I've searched and didn't find any answers to an issue i am having and wanted to see if you guys had any insights to a solution.

First week - two weeks i had the exhaust installed @ a mechanic with a lift, car had no problems and sounded perfect.

Now i'm about 3 weeks to a month in of having the exhaust and noticed something off. ONLY in automatic, not in manual mode.

As i let off the gas and the car is decelerating from engine braking (happens around 35-25mph), the car would make a slight knock/plastic sounding pop noise that sounds like it's from underneath the car if i gas again while the rpm's are dropping (during the engine brake). It sounds almost like if a wooden ball rolls on a floor and then stops when it knocks into a wall, that's what i can closely compare it to. Pretty much as the car is slowing down and the rpms go from about 1.3k > 1k and i gas at 1k while the car is humming from engine braking it could produce this sound. That is the only way i can produce the sound, regular acceleration and everything else is ok. Also do notice that the car drones pretty annoyingly more than it was initially but since everybody says there's a drone around 2k so i could be just paranoid.

I'm guessing it's a gasket leak probably from the exhaust and was planning to take it back to my mechanic to have it inspected while it's on a lift but just wanted to see if anybody else has had this problem before. Would a gasket leak cause the car to drone a bit more in the cabin? I hope i didn't repeat myself too much and thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-15, 12:57 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm pretty sure I know what "popping" sound your referring to. In short, it's completely normal. It comes with the territory of owning an aftermarket exhaust. The only way to get rid of it is 1. Return to stock exhaust 2. In some instances you can have a tuner, tune out the sound. Being that our platform doesn't having any tuning solutions, your just gonna have to live with the raw sound it provides. Honestly, when I had straight pipes on my F, I loved that sound. No worries though, your car is fine.
Old 10-24-15, 01:48 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't consider that a problem. Those who have been in my car love that sound actually. A deceleration and then thump gets the ears ready for a really nice deep lingering acceleration tone shortly after. I like to think of it similarly to shifting in a manual car. That change in between gears with an aftermarket exhaust will produce something very close to what you're experiencing.
Old 10-24-15, 04:41 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my car and intentionally shift so as to hear this as much as possible. Try this: accelerate at about 50 perfect in first gear up to around 2800 rpm, hit the upshift paddle then immediately take ur foot off the gas. You should hear a Symphony of glorious pops and crackles.
Old 10-24-15, 08:08 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that lol
Old 10-24-15, 08:51 AM
DAng87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
I drive my car and intentionally shift so as to hear this as much as possible. Try this: accelerate at about 50 perfect in first gear up to around 2800 rpm, hit the upshift paddle then immediately take ur foot off the gas. You should hear a Symphony of glorious pops and crackles.
this sound!
Old 10-24-15, 10:37 AM
isfstuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I'm pretty sure I know what "popping" sound your referring to. In short, it's completely normal. It comes with the territory of owning an aftermarket exhaust. The only way to get rid of it is 1. Return to stock exhaust 2. In some instances you can have a tuner, tune out the sound. Being that our platform doesn't having any tuning solutions, your just gonna have to live with the raw sound it provides. Honestly, when I had straight pipes on my F, I loved that sound. No worries though, your car is fine.
Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I don't consider that a problem. Those who have been in my car love that sound actually. A deceleration and then thump gets the ears ready for a really nice deep lingering acceleration tone shortly after. I like to think of it similarly to shifting in a manual car. That change in between gears with an aftermarket exhaust will produce something very close to what you're experiencing.
Oh that's interesting, never knew it was normal. To be clear, the noise only occurs once every time i gas and it isn't a symphony of crackles/pops like the sound the F-type or Hurcan makes when they decelerate. Tbh i was just mainly worried because it sounded more like a knock / thump than it did like a pop. Thanks for the info guys!

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
I'll definitely give this a try and see if it replicates the sound similar to that but in repetition. Hopefully what i'm hearing is the pop from the exhaust and not an anomaly! Thanks!
Old 10-24-15, 10:44 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Also.. If it's a single thud noise.. I get that as well when slowing down in manual and auto.. At about 1300 rpm there is a single thud/low pop noise that happens pretty consistently. (also something I look forward too)
Old 10-24-15, 11:27 AM
DAng87
Pit Crew

Mine does have a POP sound when I get on the gas after decel. I thought it was a slight backfire, and thought that it was normal
Old 10-24-15, 08:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Man I remember when I first got it I was like WTF was that , and now I actually like it. It just sounds mean . Like she growls and then gurgles . Totally normal, thankfully.
Old 10-26-15, 07:39 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DAng87
Mine does have a POP sound when I get on the gas after decel. I thought it was a slight backfire, and thought that it was normal
Afterfire is in the exhaust tract and what you're referring to. You wouldn't want a backfire, which occurs in the intake tract.