IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Westminster, OC CA!!! LED headlights install today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 01:04 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2envi
Wiring on halogen bulbs are usually thinner and not adequate for the initial power-up/ignition of the HID ballasts to warm up the HID bulbs. Especially on older model cars. That is why sometimes when you start up the car at night with all of the HID bulbs and the rest of the lighting ignited at the same time, one of them wouldn't light up because of not enough juice. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough though. I have experienced this with my older and newer cars. Never had burned harness but I would rather not take that risk. A dedicated 12 gauge harness and relay to get the power from the battery give me a peace of mind.

Plus the glare with HID on reflector type of fog light housings is too much and drowns out the rest of your lighting. That's just my opinion though.
1st...you're talking about "older model cars" and "especially on older model cars". I've ran HID kits in all my cars for years now and never do i get an issue with one ballast not igniting. Anytime you have that issue, you have a ballast issue.

Factory bulb is 55watts, 12V. You feed power to the 12V ballast which then upconverts the voltage to 230v (my ballast is 230v at least), but drops the wattage to 35watts...there's no chance in burning your harness. Everything from the ballast to the bulb is a lower gauge wire.

If your car can't deliver the correct voltage to the ballast (12 volts), then it's not going to ignite...regardless if your car is old or new.
Old 05-28-13, 05:37 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
1st...you're talking about "older model cars" and "especially on older model cars". I've ran HID kits in all my cars for years now and never do i get an issue with one ballast not igniting. Anytime you have that issue, you have a ballast issue.

Factory bulb is 55watts, 12V. You feed power to the 12V ballast which then upconverts the voltage to 230v (my ballast is 230v at least), but drops the wattage to 35watts...there's no chance in burning your harness. Everything from the ballast to the bulb is a lower gauge wire.

If your car can't deliver the correct voltage to the ballast (12 volts), then it's not going to ignite...regardless if your car is old or new.
I can only speak of my own experience I guess. My old 09 Genesis V8 sedan had oem hid and I added hid fogs. Once in a while, one of my fogs would have a hard time firing up when I had my lights on auto and cranked the engine. I ended up adding a relay and harness that drawed power straight from the battery. That fixed the problem.

I'm not saying it's the same for the ISF, just something I have expenrienced with other cars new and old.
Old 05-29-13, 05:31 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2envi
I can only speak of my own experience I guess. My old 09 Genesis V8 sedan had oem hid and I added hid fogs. Once in a while, one of my fogs would have a hard time firing up when I had my lights on auto and cranked the engine. I ended up adding a relay and harness that drawed power straight from the battery. That fixed the problem.

I'm not saying it's the same for the ISF, just something I have expenrienced with other cars new and old.
I been using HID's for the last 7-8 years with no issues. Even the cheap ones now works great. HID draws less power than Halogen lamps. I never run a relay on it. I have one issue before that the igniter went bad on my bike, but that got replace for free from the seller and never have issue.