What if I just took the resonator out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 04:00 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
People have before and the electric motors just burn out
Any data points on which manufacturers or is that across the board? I was thinking of this instead of getting aftermarket for the following reasons:
  • Retain stock sound when I need it
  • Cheaper than buying aftermarket
  • I can put the cutouts before both the cats and the muffler
  • Aftermarket exhausts don't really seems to save any weight over stock
Old 02-11-13, 05:43 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with caymandiver, true full dual exhaust is the best answer.... Your factory exhaust is way to much money to chop up.
Old 02-11-13, 06:58 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darbs242
I'm with caymandiver, true full dual exhaust is the best answer.... Your factory exhaust is way to much money to chop up.
To each their own... IMO spending $1K on an exhaust is a waste of money, unless you track the car on a regular basis. You really aren't going to feel 10-15whp on the street unless you're putting yours and other people's lives in danger. Hopefully I can put my car on the dyno when we have that ISF mega meet in April in Delaware. I did my mod for sound, and if I want to sell the car in the future, I'll have my stock parts welded back on.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 02-11-13 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 07:15 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

^ $1K is a bargain if you ask me. You get proven power, light weight, no rasp, very little drone (Borla) and great sound.

Hacking up the stock exhaust isn't free and neither is trying to piece it back together again one day. Even pieced back together it's going to devalue the car more than it would have been otherwise. On top of that I've personally heard hacked stock exhausts on the F and they sound very raspy. Many of those who have gone done this path have eventually gone a full true dual exhaust route.

I'm just saying
Old 02-11-13, 08:06 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've heard vj's exhaust and I don't belive it was raspy. I'm also very sensitive to drone and I wouldn't describe his exhaust to have too much drone or any at all. It was just exhaust sound, a lot louder of course but barely any drone. I like the way his exhaust sounds but it is too loud for my taste. I'm still debating on what exhaust to go with. I'm worried about introducing too much drone with an after market exhaust. If I could get vj's exhaust sound but at a lower volume I would be very happy.
Old 02-11-13, 08:29 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

The return on investment just doesn't do it for me. $1K for 10-15hp is not worth it. Proven power but like I said a million times - people claim the car feels quicker but butt dynos are just a placebo. Like I tell everybody: I did the mod for sound. I don't track the car, but even when I do, I am not expecting gains. If I wanted to be the fastest car on the street I wouldn't have gotten the F. It's a great car with a balance of the best attributes in a car.

The exhaust mod without a doubt saves weight - about 50 lbs. As far as the latter things you mentioned (rasp, drone, sound) are all opinions. The exhaust sounds raspy on cold startup and sounds more refined as the car warms up. Besides, pushing the car when cold is bad for the engine/tranny anyway.

Regarding devaluation, I could say the same about those with headers and aftermarket exhausts - there are definitely ways to tell that there has been aftermarket parts on the car even after returning back to stock. Depreciation and devaluation is inevitable - after all cars are depreciating assets.

Granted aftermarket exhausts for the F sound great, but I wanted something unique and the exhaust mod does just that for me.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 02-11-13 at 08:40 PM.