IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My Adams Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 03:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default My Adams Front Rotors

As many of you know, my Adams Rotors flaked the paint on the hat (at the edges) after I bedded in my new Ferodo Pads. At the time of the flaking, Adam apologized and said it must have been a defective batch caused by a temperature change. Today I reached out to Adam and he gave me two options:

1. Clean the paint off with brãkleen or Simple Green. or

2. Return the rotors to him, and to his credit, he would refinish the hats in either silver or black zinc. Not wanting my car up on blocks while I returned the rotors, I chose the first option, and used brãkleen . Close to three hours later, I had done the best I could. The paint that had not flaked was extremely hard to remove. I tried to maintain a constant gap in the unpainted hat area. The rotors are now acceptable to me, not ideal, but acceptable.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails My Adams Front Rotors-right-rotors.jpg   My Adams Front Rotors-left-rotors.jpg   My Adams Front Rotors-left-wheel-and-rotors.jpg  
Old 01-23-13, 04:02 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wear pattern looks weird considering everything was brand new when you did the brake change.
Old 01-23-13, 05:30 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Wear pattern looks weird considering everything was brand new when you did the brake change.
thats what i was going to say
Old 01-23-13, 07:08 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

if the pads are still new...i think maybe around 500 miles, it'll all be gone.
Old 01-23-13, 07:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Exactly, I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks, and the pads and rotors are still pretty virgin, after the bedding process.

Lou
Old 01-23-13, 08:07 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Good job Lou. as long as it doesn't stand out, it's a good job and looks a lot better. Shipping rotors back would make me lazy as well. its heavy.
Old 01-23-13, 11:21 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Please post some pictures when the rotors are properly bedded in.
Nice and clean.

Last edited by Rossi; 01-24-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-23-13, 11:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Terrible experience with Adam's Rotors. Would not recommend.
Old 01-24-13, 07:49 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Guys,

As I said I have been away on vacation, and the F is my weekend car. So, I have only 103 miles on the pads and rotors (including bedding). Immediately after bedding the wear pattern looked like the attached. It's my opinion that in a few more miles the rotors will have that shiny polished look that you folks are used to seeing. Right now some of the pad material is still left on the pads from bedding. As I have stated previously, the brake operation is IMHO, fantastic. The stops are straight and short, the feel is wonderful and during bedding their was no evidence of fade. In short, the brakes with the new pads and rotors feel very powerful and easy to modulate.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails My Adams Front Rotors-flaking-paint3s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 01-24-13 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 07:58 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Who makes their brake rotors?
Old 01-24-13, 11:26 AM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we're sorry you've had such a bad experience with our coating...
again, it was part of an unforeseen aesthetic defect and unfortunately, tho rarely, they can happen.
I'd like to also press, for the public knowledge these rotors are in perfect working order, both for performance & purpose use.
the rotor itself is stopping the car fine, as it should and this not an issue of rotor integrity, safety, or quality.

as mentioned we'd be happy to refinish them for you and return ship at our expense, but we have already discounted your set as deep as we are able for a monetary fix.
(here we see an out of context thread. in ANY normal order, the original flaking would have been heavily discounted or refinished to the customer's satisfaction...)

our rotors do not do this on a regular basis and it's unfortunate to have been showcased in this manor...
we hope the clublexus community can understand both sides and also realize the specific case that is being displayed here is not the norm.

Originally Posted by darbs242
Originally Posted by streetx
thats what i was going to say
Originally Posted by Rossi
The wear marks look awful. Are you kidding?
These are nearly new? I was concidering to get a set.
Not anymore. Sorry Lou.
that wear pattern has nothing to do with my product or the hub coating issue he's having.
the rotors are not properly bed or worn-in yet.
our rotors are zinc finished, entirely submerged in a zinc bath, including the rotor face.
this of course must be worn clean by the pad and can take up to 200 miles, as does any brake rotor break-in.
he is posting pics before that occurs, making the rotor face look weird...that is all.

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Who makes their brake rotors?
they are all finished in the US, right here in California.
as for country of origin, we source blanks from all over the globe...from a number of manufacturers.
Germany, Mexico, USA, China, Canada, even Brazil.

we use only premium grade discs to start with, to our discretion, and spare no expense…
the most important part of the process is the made-to-order CNC work, per corner...along with custom finishing & coating we do all in-house.
the latter (coating) is the only part of the equation in question here.