M3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vj5KL0urvQ

IS-F:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bzVvsD-8eU
Old 02-05-09, 03:20 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen those reviews yet. Good find, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-05-09, 03:20 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driver doesn't seem like he knew how to take the cars to their limits. Plus, one thing i have noticed is how the difference in driver knowledge can effect the outcome of these test. Perfect example are these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDL5hiEMto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkFD2...eature=related

Once a driver learns how to drive more efficiently with the IsF time difference between the m3 dramatically shortens.
Old 02-05-09, 04:17 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I actually drove one today during my test drives... SCARY fast, insane sound... but too hard a ride on bad Milwaukee streets... my winner today was the A5
Old 02-05-09, 04:28 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I actually drove one today during my test drives... SCARY fast, insane sound... but too hard a ride on bad Milwaukee streets... my winner today was the A5
You test drove an IS-F or M3 or C63?
Old 02-05-09, 05:38 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Was the sport button even on? I mean the angle made it pretty hard to tell, but I don't I ever saw it.
Old 02-05-09, 05:57 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Wait, what happend to the S5?
Old 02-05-09, 06:32 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think at 2.24s you can see the SPORT indicator (full screen on hi-res), but I can't see the VDC off, that might be why they complain about the steering.
Old 02-06-09, 06:53 AM
cssnms
Racer

Comparing times in "automatic" mode against a manual M3, just does not sound like a fair fight. They even show the shifters in the F pre track run almost as if they are eluding to the fact that they would use them. Clearly the driver was not using the paddle shifters in either the AMG or the F. Certainly using them would improve lap times in both cars narrowing that 4 sec gap. Hmmm I still cannot see/confirm that he had the F in SPORT mode. Motor Trend is so biased...
Old 02-06-09, 07:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
You test drove an IS-F or M3 or C63?
Originally Posted by cssnms
Wait, what happend to the S5?
Sorry guys... drove an A5 (sold the S5 Wed night so look, don't drive). I also drove a C63 (BEAST) and a 3 and 5-series BUT... for what I need here (Wisconsin), the A5 was smooth, more refined, and the harder I pushed into corners, the better it handled. Found some icy roads, she didn't even blink. There are 2 S5s coming in next month and I'm not pulling the trigger til at least then anyway, so I still plan to drive the S5 before making my mind up.

I loved the look, finish, fit, refinement of the A5. It was a 6-sp so I could make up for some of the loss in torque & HP (265 vs 300-500+ in what I've been testing) by smooth gearing, although obviously nowhere near all of it. It had been a good year and a half since I drove a stick... within 3 blocks remembered how much fun they are!! And if you can drive, give me a stick and some traffic, or a twisty road, and I don't care what kind of horsepower the other guy has if mine can handle I'm right behind you... or I'll pass ya!!!

Put the biggest smile on my face of all I've tested (IS-F, Z06, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) Still a little more testing to do, but I'm getting very close...

Thx all again on the feedback!!!
Old 02-06-09, 08:16 AM
cssnms
Racer

Audis are great cars no doubt. My brother who is traditionally a BMW guy just recently sold his 06 S4 and just last weekend picked up an S5. Drove it from Boston to the DC area and he said he was smiling all the way. Good luck.
Old 02-06-09, 12:40 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Sorry guys... drove an A5 (sold the S5 Wed night so look, don't drive). I also drove a C63 (BEAST) and a 3 and 5-series BUT... for what I need here (Wisconsin), the A5 was smooth, more refined, and the harder I pushed into corners, the better it handled. Found some icy roads, she didn't even blink. There are 2 S5s coming in next month and I'm not pulling the trigger til at least then anyway, so I still plan to drive the S5 before making my mind up.

I loved the look, finish, fit, refinement of the A5. It was a 6-sp so I could make up for some of the loss in torque & HP (265 vs 300-500+ in what I've been testing) by smooth gearing, although obviously nowhere near all of it. It had been a good year and a half since I drove a stick... within 3 blocks remembered how much fun they are!! And if you can drive, give me a stick and some traffic, or a twisty road, and I don't care what kind of horsepower the other guy has if mine can handle I'm right behind you... or I'll pass ya!!!

Put the biggest smile on my face of all I've tested (IS-F, Z06, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) Still a little more testing to do, but I'm getting very close...

Thx all again on the feedback!!!
I was pretty sure I was getting an S5 for awhile there. For starters, it's one of the best looking cars I've ever seen. The interior is aces, and it felt great inside.

Car buying is so subjective that it is impossible to give "advice" about car buying. My experience was this... I went on a nice, long test drive. I loved the car when I left the lot, loved it while I was driving, and brought it back to the showroom and..... left. I'm not sure what it was. I just felt that the S5 didn't have enough soul for me. I can't describe exactly what that means, but I hope that you have taken it for a good long ride to make sure that it keeps your interest. Great car, and I'm sure some folks will like it way more than the IS-F. I just wasn't one of those people. Good luck, and post pics when you get your new ride!!
Old 02-06-09, 08:04 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

The IS-F is impressively fast. A friend who owns one was kind enough to take me for a spin in it today and that is one refined, fast, and good looking automobile.

Old 02-07-09, 04:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mm767cap
I was pretty sure I was getting an S5 for awhile there. For starters, it's one of the best looking cars I've ever seen. The interior is aces, and it felt great inside.

Car buying is so subjective that it is impossible to give "advice" about car buying. My experience was this... I went on a nice, long test drive. I loved the car when I left the lot, loved it while I was driving, and brought it back to the showroom and..... left. I'm not sure what it was. I just felt that the S5 didn't have enough soul for me. I can't describe exactly what that means, but I hope that you have taken it for a good long ride to make sure that it keeps your interest. Great car, and I'm sure some folks will like it way more than the IS-F. I just wasn't one of those people. Good luck, and post pics when you get your new ride!!
Agree 100%. I've driven close to 50 cars in my quest and the A5 is still putting a smile in my face so I think your post helps speak volumes in my decision