IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Am I becoming an "old guy" despite just crossing 40?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-16, 03:36 PM
braxtongg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I becoming an "old guy" despite just crossing 40?

I ask that because I'm soon to be parting with my '06 IS 350, which replaced my '01 IS 300, and my instinct is to replace my gen 2 with a gen 3, which if I do, and keep for the typical length of time I tend to keep a car, I'll end up having bought the exact same car repeatedly, over three generations of the model and a 20 year time span. That's exactly what old guys do, except with Buicks and Caddys. In the spirit of full disclosure, I did have a Lotus Exige for a year between my gen 1 and gen 2, but only because I knew my wife's baby clock was ticking down to go time and it might be my last chance to have a wildly fun and equally wildly impractical car/toy for some time. And I'm currently rolling around in a Slingshot, as a daily driver, but only because I live in AZ and from Oct-April/May the weather is ideal for such a thing, I got a smoking deal on it, and we have my wife's GX460 for whenever we need a real car. So, once my gen 2 sells, I've got 7 months or so to decide what to replace said gen 2 with, because once the heat sets in, the Slingshot will become exactly as miserable to drive as it is currently spectacular. Curious if anybody else has had an IS as their primary vehicle through all three generations? And if so, have you remained just as content as you were the day you rolled off in your first gen 1? Or if you went another direction, after sticking with a gen 1 and 2 for an extended period, what direction, and did it stick, or did you come back in the end to a gen 3? It seems so stodgy...just like an old guy who hates any kind of change, but I keep looking at viable alternatives, and I keep coming back to the conclusion that just getting a gently used '14-'15 gen 3 IS is the no-brainer way to go. I've had a couple of chances to drive a gen 3 for a day or two, because that's what my dealer always gives me as a loaner any time my gen 2 has been there for a factory recall, so I already know I like it. I've got friends with BMWs, Porches, Benzes...seemingly every one of them has a love/hate thing going on with their ride. Too much time in the shop. My wife and I tallied it up not long ago...since '01, me 2 ('01&'06) IS models, her '02 Sequoia, '07 RX400h, '10 GX460 (I know, the Sequoia isn't technically a Lexus, but it's near the top of Toyota's range, so we figured it was relevant for the exercise)...over 15 years, 5 vehicles, and just under 500,000 cumulative miles, a grand total of just under $2K in repair costs. One on the Sequoia, one on the RX, but even then, not until over 120K and 150K miles, respectively. With the possible exception of Honda/Acura, I just don't think any other manufacturer comes remotely close to consistently producing model after model with that kind of reliability. That's primarily what keeps bringing me back to a gen 3 IS as the obvious choice. If you like the look and feel of options 1,2&3, and all have substantially similar performance capability, then you go with the one you know you're not going to be constantly (if ever) paying repair bills on, right?
Old 11-12-16, 03:57 PM
braxtongg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For reference points, other models I've at least considered:

Acura TSX - with their SH-AWD system. Can't get past that their V6 produces close, but not quite as much HP and torque as the IS350, which might be ok if the Acura were say 200lb lighter, but to me, front wheel drive does not equal sport sedan, and the SH-AWD version is a few hundred pounds heavier (to be expected). Can't square myself with less power AND more weight.

Tesla S P85 - actually rented one for a few days through Turo.com. Pretty incredible car really, and the number of "Supercharger" stations in place now did actually make an extended road trip practical. I think it might be a viable option but for the fact that there is still such a supply/demand imbalance that resale value holds up TOO well. Which is great if you already own one, but try finding a decent deal on one from the buy side. A '13-'14 model still trades too close to full boat retail for my comfort...could but don't really want, to stretch up to the $60K range.

BMW/MB - several model options there if I didn't have multiple instances of close friends having one of either brand (but esp BMW it seems) that had theirs in the shop way too frequently for my tolerance level.
Old 11-12-16, 04:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Try something new. Life is too short. I'd get a gently used m3 (e90) or RCF. The 3IS is very fun but just the next generation of the IS. The RCF would be something else (and waaaay more fun)
Old 11-12-16, 05:37 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For me I wouldn't call it loyalty, but I've been perfectly happy with Silverados and have owned a few back to back. However I don't feel that way with cars especially Lexus. Don't get me wrong my 3rd Gen IS350 is nice, but I think there are other cars in that price range that are fun.
Old 11-13-16, 07:53 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think it makes you and old guy to stay with the IS line. If you think about it, there are not tons of similarities between the 1IS and 3IS, for example. I don't think switching brands just to switch is the definition of youth.

Then again, I am 45. Get off my lawn!
Old 11-13-16, 08:57 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Have you considered stepping up to the 4GS? It handles as competently as the 3IS, and has more room (just a little) also. Or if you want to wait a few more months for the GS-F pre-owned market to populate, you could go that route. You can't go wrong with either the IS or GS really.
Old 11-13-16, 06:48 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old guy? 40? Wait 30 more years!
Old 11-13-16, 06:56 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Or if you want to wait a few more months for the GS-F pre-owned market to populate, you could go that route.
Why wait? People are picking up new GSF for 67k + ttl right now
Old 11-13-16, 07:11 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Why wait? People are picking up new GSF for 67k + ttl right now
Given the OP had his eye on a pre-owned 3IS, I'd assume the OTD cost of a GSF could be almost twice what he wants to purchase a car for.